Thread: Elemental AoE

Elemental AoE

So i was thinking to myself, how many shamans are still gonna run in to melee range to drop magma totem then use earthquake. I know i will when i feel like pushing out a lot more dps. So I came up with a new idea for a talent:

Cataclcysm: 3 point talent

Each time earthquake does damge gives a 10%/20%/30% chance to drop a magma totem at the center of your earthquake only one magma totem can be out at a time.

/discuss

Yes another boring passive RNG talent is exactly what we need.

I'd trade that talent for a talent that lets me throw my fire totem anywhere I want instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they were already planning on letting us throw totems from range? This could also have been a daydream

Now, let me preface by saying that I don't play a Shaman. However, my Hunter hit level 40 roughly half an hour ago. And then I learnt Volley. I've been doing a lot of random instances to be able to skip the zones I'm not interested in leveling in. And I must say, having an AoE rotation that went something like "Multi Shot -> run into melee range -> drop Explosive Trap -> Disengage out -> continue as normal" was a lot more fun than a general "stand at range and spam two or three abilities".

Personally, I would probably enjoy having to run quickly into melee range to do AoE. It just makes it all a bit more interesting and bit less of a snoozefest.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    Now, let me preface by saying that I don't play a Shaman. However, my Hunter hit level 40 roughly half an hour ago. And then I learnt Volley. I've been doing a lot of random instances to be able to skip the zones I'm not interested in leveling in. And I must say, having an AoE rotation that went something like "Multi Shot -> run into melee range -> drop Explosive Trap -> Disengage out -> continue as normal" was a lot more fun than a general "stand at range and spam two or three abilities".

Personally, I would probably enjoy having to run quickly into melee range to do AoE. It just makes it all a bit more interesting and bit less of a snoozefest.
    It's fun for you because you can bounce back out through means of disengage. We however can't and we waste a significant amount of time running in and out. It is by no means fun.

PS: I have a hunter too and I just love disengage.

For trash just run in with the tanks and drop magma, fire nova, thunderstorm, and start earthquake. You will be doing some significant AOE dmg and there is no need to waste time running back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    no need to waste time running back out.
    So you just stand in melee and take the damage on AoE mobs in ICC? Bet your healers love you... You must run back out if being in melee will result in loss of health.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    And I must say, having an AoE rotation that went something like "Multi Shot -> run into melee range -> drop Explosive Trap -> Disengage out -> continue as normal" was a lot more fun than a general "stand at range and spam two or three abilities".

I agree, I really enjoy the current elemental AOE rotation because it involves a combo of aoe and single target to maximize your damage. I look at it this way... this is the reason that we are mail wearing casters... so that we can stand on the fringe of the pack of mobs being attacked and weave our spells : Flame shock, Magma totem, lava burst, chain lightning, fire nova, thunderstorm, lava burst, chain lightning, fire nova.. etc, you get the idea :P Then I can go back to sleep on single target fights -_-

Standing at range watching your spell being channeled, then refreshing it.. that is boring AOE.

Unless I am reading the talent tree wrong it looks like Earthquake will not be channeled which spells even more damage into the AOE pool and im all for that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anesmith View Post
    So you just stand in melee and take the damage on AoE mobs in ICC? Bet your healers love you... You must run back out if being in melee will result in loss of health.
    I'm pretty sure he meant that he's running out of range as he is casting his instants, Magma Totem > Thunderstorm > Fire Nova and you should've ran about 15 yards or so > cast Earthquake > Chain Lightning > Fire Nova > run farther away and continue with Fire Nova/Chain Lightning.

the only problem i have with running out tho. is thats assuming you never have to drop magma again for that pack of mobs. I'm main spec enhance and switching over to elemental, and personally in my opinion, if i stand In melee range i'm only getting healed by all the aoe heals that are going out all over melee anyway, and for them nothing really changes.

as a note, I also off spec resto, so i have experience there. And I'm going to be chain healing away either way, i dont have an issue with an ele shaman standing in melee as long as he stays with the other melee and isnt retarded and gets himself cleaved or something.

Redropping searing totem is the annoying thing for me, especially when we have specific positioning (e.g. Saurfang). The range is just tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    Redropping searing totem is the annoying thing for me, especially when we have specific positioning (e.g. Saurfang). The range is just tiny.
    That is my only grief with searing totem. Especially for Saurfang which u mentioned because i have to stay in the back because of our positioning for killing the beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    the only problem i have with running out tho. is thats assuming you never have to drop magma again for that pack of mobs. I'm main spec enhance and switching over to elemental, and personally in my opinion, if i stand In melee range i'm only getting healed by all the aoe heals that are going out all over melee anyway, and for them nothing really changes.

as a note, I also off spec resto, so i have experience there. And I'm going to be chain healing away either way, i dont have an issue with an ele shaman standing in melee as long as he stays with the other melee and isnt retarded and gets himself cleaved or something.
    Personally I didnt really sign up for playing a melee caster when I first rolled Elemental. I don't want to have to be in melee ever unless boss mechanics require ranged to be there.