Need/Greed is a little unfair

I havent really cared about the change blizzard made with dungeon finder on loot rules where you cant roll need on gear that isnt the highest kind you can wear (meaning druids can only roll on leather, hunters on mail, etc.). But I started to level a resto shaman and before the instance I asked, if there were clothies/leather casters 'If we both need a piece of leather/cloth gear that we both need can we roll on it afterward' or if i was the only caster there, 'If a piece of gear that drops that i cant roll need on can the person who wins it trade it to me'.

If there are clothies/leather casters 75% of the time they dont answer, I ask again before a boss i know cloth/leather drops, they dont answer, the piece drops, they roll need, I ask if we can roll on it, they usually say something like NO!, YOU DONT NEED IT!, and then leave the group. 25% of the time we aggree and it goes fine

If there arent people who wear cloth/leather, if we have a de'er it gets de'ed around 50%-75% of the time if we dont i usually get the piece (even though there has been one time a dk didnt let me have a piece just to be annoying).

I can live with the above, but does anybody else find the same results or get the same annoyances?

Deleted
    I have to agree. While it solved a problem in 76-80 dungeons (and dailies) it created a problem(s) in lower level groups. The system needs a redesign to solve this.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Remember its in preparation for Cataclysm where wearing the wrong type of armor, i.e. Warriors wearing leather, will have penalties on your stats to the point where it is not going to be beneficial unless there is a huge disparity in the item level. Annoying as the system is it does stop that DK from rolling on your SP gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Remember its in preparation for Cataclysm where wearing the wrong type of armor, i.e. Warriors wearing leather, will have penalties on your stats to the point where it is not going to be beneficial unless there is a huge disparity in the item level. Annoying as the system is it does stop that DK from rolling on your SP gear.
    He did end up with my cloth gear i wanted though :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Well, the mastery bonuses will only be available on level 80+ gear, so that reason is a bit dull.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, the mastery bonuses will only be available on level 80+ gear, so that reason is a bit dull.
    No they won't, all gear will be redesigned

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    No they won't, all gear will be redesigned
    No, arp gear will have the arp replaced with haste or crit, caster gear will have the spellpower removed and instead granted by the intellect, and agi gear will have the ap removed and instead granted by the agi. Mastery will not be added to level 80 gear. It's not a stat that blizzard want to have to balance around at level 80.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2010-06-14 at 12:51 AM.

pretty sure mastery will only affect level 85's, or the stat

15+ Year Old Account
    If there are no clothies or leather-wearers who need it, then that's fine; but it's completely rude of you to insist on rolling against clothies/leather-wearers on the only gear they can wear.

I have a druid, a shammy, and a pally all at 80 and I know how tough it can be to find that piece of nice spellpower plate or mail. But it's still uncool to roll against a clothie on it. Same with leather-wearers.

I've seen many good drops sharded under my nose and that frustrates me, because I would have used it and the person whose main armor class it was didn't want it. But if they need it, they have dibs. Sorry.

Also, @Marest, the system only affects players in I believe 60+ dungeons. It does not come into play in lowbie dungeons where there is almost no spellpower plate or mail, and I think that's a good choice. Personally I wish it would extend a little further, since the Sack of Helpful Goods stops being helpful at the same time the NBG restrictions kick in, but still.

Usually if there is a person who wears that armor class in the run I will whisper them and say "If (item) drops and you don't need it, would you please roll on it for me?" And most of the time I get in return "Roll on it yourself." It seems a lot of people don't understand that we cannot roll need on off-class items, which is strange because you'd think some of them (mail and leather wearers) would have run into it themselves.
    Last edited by snuzzle; 2010-06-14 at 01:42 AM.

If it is low leve we are talking about... a piece of gear almost couldnt mean less while leveling (specially if you have heirlooms). And at 80 you shouldnt be wearing cloth or leather as a shaman most of the time. The new system solved a worse thing thanc the problem of not being able to roll on temporary gear upgrades (cloth and leather for a shaman)

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    If there are no clothies or leather-wearers who need it, then that's fine; but it's completely rude of you to insist on rolling against clothies/leather-wearers on the only gear they can wear.

I have a druid, a shammy, and a pally all at 80 and I know how tough it can be to find that piece of nice spellpower plate or mail. But it's still uncool to roll against a clothie on it. Same with leather-wearers.

I've seen many good drops sharded under my nose and that frustrates me, because I would have used it and the person whose main armor class it was didn't want it. But if they need it, they have dibs. Sorry.

Also, @Marest, the system only affects players in I believe 60+ dungeons. It does not come into play in lowbie dungeons where there is almost no spellpower plate or mail, and I think that's a good choice. Personally I wish it would extend a little further, since the Sack of Helpful Goods stops being helpful at the same time the NBG restrictions kick in, but still.

Usually if there is a person who wears that armor class in the run I will whisper them and say "If (item) drops and you don't need it, would you please roll on it for me?" And most of the time I get in return "Roll on it yourself." It seems a lot of people don't understand that we cannot roll need on off-class items, which is strange because you'd think some of them (mail and leather wearers) would have run into it themselves.
    I am talking about temporary upgrades while leveling

Ultimately it really really doesn't matter at all leveling if you can't get cloth or leather, it really doesn't. Any perceived 'need' is actually very insignificant. And yes I *can* speak from experience, recently leveled a shaman horde side to check things out.

Here's how to solve the problem. Take their silence as a "no".
    God; I hate you people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I havent really cared about the change blizzard made with dungeon finder on loot rules where you cant roll need on gear that isnt the highest kind you can wear (meaning druids can only roll on leather, hunters on mail, etc.). But I started to level a resto shaman and before the instance I asked, if there were clothies/leather casters 'If we both need a piece of leather/cloth gear that we both need can we roll on it afterward' or if i was the only caster there, 'If a piece of gear that drops that i cant roll need on can the person who wins it trade it to me'.

If there are clothies/leather casters 75% of the time they dont answer, I ask again before a boss i know cloth/leather drops, they dont answer, the piece drops, they roll need, I ask if we can roll on it, they usually say something like NO!, YOU DONT NEED IT!, and then leave the group. 25% of the time we aggree and it goes fine

If there arent people who wear cloth/leather, if we have a de'er it gets de'ed around 50%-75% of the time if we dont i usually get the piece (even though there has been one time a dk didnt let me have a piece just to be annoying).

I can live with the above, but does anybody else find the same results or get the same annoyances?
    Well if it's not need/greed/pass, you got a better system in mind?

Better system:

• Need
    • Off-spec / Wrong armour class Need
    • Greed / Disenchant

Though Blizzard wouldn't implement it as it allows for more ninjaing and adds complexity.

@OP: Levelling gear isn't all that important anyway, and temporary upgrades at 80 aren't necessary; You can simply run a few more heroics and buy an emblem piece.
    Shadowsong EU: Tyler [85 Warrior] .: Durden [85 Priest] .: Palahniuk [85 Warlock] .: Boeddeker [85 Shaman] .: Cronenweth [85 Druid] .: Uhls [85 Paladin] .: Chesler [85 Mage] .: Fincher [85 Hunter] .: Paulson [85 Rogue] .: Lichborne [85 Death Knight] Magtheridon EU: Uhls [82 Paladin] Trollbane EU: Acro [81 Death Knight] Blade's Edge EU: Cronenweth [83 Druid]