Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    If the psychological effect of using a legendary and seeing pretty 2d lightning bubbles helps you, then go for it. Just keep in mind that those bubbles only shield a extra ~300 damage. Each proc is only giving an extra 4.5k spread out over 15 targets, while the extra SP in that same 15 second period would be an additional 6.5-7.7k. You may feel like you're doing better, but that doesn't mean you actually are doing better.

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    If the psychological effect of using a legendary and seeing pretty 2d lightning bubbles helps you, then go for it. Just keep in mind that those bubbles only shield a extra ~300 damage. Each proc is only giving an extra 4.5k spread out over 15 targets, while the extra SP in that same 15 second period would be an additional 6.5-7.7k. You may feel like you're doing better, but that doesn't mean you actually are doing better.
    I'm no disc priest but that sounds false.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Frosty View Post
    I'm no disc priest but that sounds false.
    If you were a disc priest you would understand that a disc priest's job on that fight is to spam shields to prepare for infest. And that shields don't proc valanyr though the 20% heal from the glyph does. So basically yes - he's right. Val is going to give a mini shield which is 3% the size of the original shield, 6% if the glyph crit. If your shields are 10k, then it will be about 300. A proc lasts 15 seconds which would be around 4.5k extra healing. Even if every glyph crit it would be only 9k.

    If you have no actual knowledge to add to a discussion it's generally better to just not post.

  4. #24
    No, remember that DA is not calculated into the BOAK buff. That means that glyph shield crits are 1.5, not 1.95. If 300 is normal, then 450 is crit. So even 100% crit would only be an additional +6,750. This means with 100% uptime on the buff and 100% crit rate Val'anyr would edge out Trauma on absorbs by 250 every 15 seconds. Using something normal like 40% crit and leaving the buff uptime at 100% and it would only be +5,400. 1,100 behind Trauma.

    To clarify here this means that if Val'anyr's buff was up permanently, it would still lose. However, for those who do not have one and are unaware, Val'anyr's proc has a 45 second cooldown. So again, the maximum uptime is 1/3. So with that 40% crit and with that 33.33% uptime you're looking at an average of 1,782. Additionally, this actually makes Val'anyr look better for Discipline than it actually is on LK. The reason is that the BOAK buff does not last as long as the Infest timer + cast time. Additionally since you will be using only single target casts you will never be able to actually have 15 up simultaneously. The GCD will prevent you from ever exceeding 14. The first will drop as soon as you cast the fifteenth.

    So even if everything is perfect, you have maximum uptime, perfectly situated crits and a proc at the perfect time that still puts Val'anyr at +1,663 average. Meanwhile Trauma is still sitting at a minimum of +5,500. People using Val'anyr as Discipline are doing so because they do not understand the way that meters read absorbs. This tricks them into believing that it's contributing a large percentage of their absorbs. The same is true of DA. DA and BOAK are applied after PW:S itself is applied. The order of execution is PW:S->BOAK->DA. Meters read the last absorb placed and until that absorb drops the healing is credited to that mechanic. That's why you see things like 15% from BOAK. It's being credited for PW:S absorbs. Fun trick? If someone else with Val'anyr gets a proc on a target you've already shielded... they get credit for you shield. Fun stuff.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    No, remember that DA is not calculated into the BOAK buff. That means that glyph shield crits are 1.5, not 1.95. If 300 is normal, then 450 is crit. So even 100% crit would only be an additional +6,750. This means with 100% uptime on the buff and 100% crit rate Val'anyr would edge out Trauma on absorbs by 250 every 15 seconds. Using something normal like 40% crit and leaving the buff uptime at 100% and it would only be +5,400. 1,100 behind Trauma.

    To clarify here this means that if Val'anyr's buff was up permanently, it would still lose. However, for those who do not have one and are unaware, Val'anyr's proc has a 45 second cooldown. So again, the maximum uptime is 1/3. So with that 40% crit and with that 33.33% uptime you're looking at an average of 1,782. Additionally, this actually makes Val'anyr look better for Discipline than it actually is on LK. The reason is that the BOAK buff does not last as long as the Infest timer + cast time. Additionally since you will be using only single target casts you will never be able to actually have 15 up simultaneously. The GCD will prevent you from ever exceeding 14. The first will drop as soon as you cast the fifteenth.

    So even if everything is perfect, you have maximum uptime, perfectly situated crits and a proc at the perfect time that still puts Val'anyr at +1,663 average. Meanwhile Trauma is still sitting at a minimum of +5,500. People using Val'anyr as Discipline are doing so because they do not understand the way that meters read absorbs. This tricks them into believing that it's contributing a large percentage of their absorbs. The same is true of DA. DA and BOAK are applied after PW:S itself is applied. The order of execution is PW:S->BOAK->DA. Meters read the last absorb placed and until that absorb drops the healing is credited to that mechanic. That's why you see things like 15% from BOAK. It's being credited for PW:S absorbs. Fun trick? If someone else with Val'anyr gets a proc on a target you've already shielded... they get credit for you shield. Fun stuff.
    good post, i approve.
    the last bit was news to me, but looking through some logs you're totally correct.

    shame you can't use valanyr and still get the trauma proc...
    oh
    wait
    ruby sanctum trinket incoming

  6. #26
    I'm not saying you're wrong in anything Harky. Handling infest in 25m is much easier than in 10m as there are many healers to cover you. However in 10m where I'm solo handling infest, 2 or 3 missed shields would mean a wipe. With Vala'nyr I've managed to control it better than with other, stronger 200sp superior ICC weapons.

    Didn't know that last shield is taken off first, I thought DA and PoAK have priority as procs, over PW:S which you can control.
    "There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace

  7. #27
    I thank you all for the input that has been added to this thread nowhere did I see this going that far.

    thanks again

    kabutops

  8. #28
    How about Trauma for shadow priest healing off VE?? I have heard this puts out a rather large amount of raid healing which can assist healers on heavy dmg fights?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jonish View Post
    trauma and abicus have horrible proc rates. there both rather bad for discipline. If there all you can get at the time snatch them. If you have the opportunities to get the LK mace / and 258 solace , those are much better choices.
    Abacus is actually really good. Not just the huge spellpower which in itself is amazing, the proc does a lot of ehps and is a smart heal that can crit for ~14k. It really increases your healing a significant amount, more than the trauma proc. I do a lot of solo healing 10 mans (toc/icc) and the proc would be particularly useful in those situations. I agree that trauma is overrated for disc though, I prefer bonespike.

    PW:S recieves 80% of your spellpower; 200 sp more = 160 more damage absorbed, which is almost 3 times less than 450, add to that 50% buffed crit chance which affects Glyph of PW:S but not PW:S itself.
    No 200 sp will give about 350 to your pw:s (approximately)
    Last edited by TiduZ; 2010-06-22 at 11:48 AM.

  10. #30
    im my experiance and tested i use the below im the order listed

    1. Lockjaw HC
    2. Trauma HC
    3. Trauma
    4. Lockjaw
    5. Bonespike

    i cant comment on Bonspike Hc as i dont want to waste EP on it, my offhand is Scourgelord Baton HC, how ever i now use Mag'ar Staff HC far superior to all the above with my offhand, i will let you know when my Sind 25 HC sundial drops

    ---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 03:00 PM ----------

    SPriest with Trauma, never event though of that... thank you i will be trying that out tonight... if i get to play shadow that is...
    Last edited by Razook; 2010-06-22 at 02:01 PM.

  11. #31
    Lockjaw HC > Trauma HC?

    Really?
    Please rethink your post there man...

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize View Post
    Lockjaw HC > Trauma HC?

    Really?
    Please rethink your post there man...
    honestly, i have tested and tested and i just cant get the feel for Trauma HC, im in work atm so no evidence im affraid. Its more personal preferance Trauma Normal yer better though please dont let me confuse people on that.

  13. #33
    Can't get the feel?
    It's like a 90 spellpower upgrade, what is there not to get?
    It's not like the haste from lockjaw benefits you that much to warrant the worth of it being better than heroic trauma.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •