How would I get better DPS

I have tried black magic and I have played with my gems but still I don't know how to get my dps pass 4K-5K. I see mages with lower gear doing like 8K-10K dps. Am I doing something wrong? My rotation is Arcane Blast X4 then Arcane Missiles X1 if Missile barrage Procs and Arcane Barrage if it dosen't. I believe my talent trees are adaquetly spec'd for max Arcane Damage and My gearscore is 5467 and I can't seem to post link to armory. It says I can't post link if this is my first time. My name is Solemage and I am on the Whirlwind battlegroup under Miltary guild. Can anybody help me?

Your haste is low
    Your gemming is wonky (refer to the sticky)
    Get the crafted wrists, pvp gear is for pvp.
    Get t10 set bonuses asap.

less barrage imo.
    Mannoroth-US
    Deedalee - 85 Fire Mage
    All of my alts are dead.

Your haste is too low, your hit is too high, you bought the wrong cloak and the wrong ring, you spent badges on a cloak when you don't have any sets at all. You don't have a 2 or 4 piece of anything. Get those, four piece t10 is rediculously hax. Even two or four pieces of t9 would be better then nothing.

You've gemmed straight haste and straight crit which is a no no and you have the wrong meta gem. You need the relentless meta, never gem for straight anything unless its spellpower in a red socket. yellow sockets should be spellpower/haste, blue sockets should be one nightmare tear and then spellpower/crit or just straight spellpower.

I'd also take a point out of slow and finish off the arcane mind points in the arcane tree. You don't need slow for anything outside of add management which should be taken care of by someone other then an arcane mage.

Oh and you have gathering proffessions which aren't leveled. If your serious about maxxing your dps you need to change the above and get Jewelcrafting/blacksmithing(or engineering/tailoring/enchanting)
    Last edited by kiliaan; 2010-06-16 at 05:38 AM.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...st&cn=Solemage

^^this you? Nothing personal, but you have a lot of things wrong here.

You've got 1 piece of T9 and T10 (hint: get 2pt10 IMMEDIATELY. No exceptions. You would probably benefit from 2p T10 & T9 more than your off-pieces - Check RAWR). Get the 4pT10 ASAP.

You have a back piece (that you wasted frost badges that could have been used towards t10 or a decent back piece) and a ring that have MP5 - You are not a healer. Stop it.

You are over 19% hit rating from gear. You have an additional 6% from talents. You can also get 3% if a Boomkin or SPriest are in the raid attacking your target. You need 17% total. So that makes 25%-28% hit rating which is equivalent to a LOT of wasted itemization points from gear. Lose your hit/haste trinket and pick up Abyssal Rune from 5man Regular ToC. Also, lose the hit wand and get the one from 10m ToC. You'd do better with the haste on it.

Speaking of haste >> get more haste.

Looking over your gemming, you have the wrong meta gem (you want +crit rating/+3% crit damage, NOT the SP/Int meta). You are also gemming for Crit. Pure Crit. No. You also gemmed pure haste in your belt (not sure why you would gem towards both haste and crit). Yellow sockets = 12sp/10haste. No exceptions. Crit is total crap for arcane, and the sp/haste combo is worth more equivalent spell power than pure haste.

Get the 245 crafted bracers. That resilience is doing nothing for you.

Your spec is incorrect. http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000 is a decent spec, 1 pt could be taken out of Magic Attunement to get slow if you found it useful (personally I don't find slow useful. Rank 1 frostbolt works almost as well and doesn't consume a talent point.)

Your rotation is correct EXCEPT if MBarr does not proc, you DO NOT use ArcBarr unless moving and POM is on CD and you are about to lose your AB stacks. Cast a regular ArcMissile. Better on your mana and higher DPS.

From your gear, I get the feeling that you picked up pieces solely to boost your GearScore. This is a perfect example of why GearScore fails. Sure, your Avg iLvl is decent, but your gear choices, gems, and talents are sub par and will not allow you to compete with properly geared persons at the same iLvl.

Please please please review http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/689924-Mage-PvE-FAQ and Elitist Jerks for specific information to empower yourself now and in the future. Also, download RAWR for your gemming/enchant/gearing needs.

---------- Post added 06-16-2010 at 06:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kiliaan View Post
    blue sockets should be one nightmare tear and then spellpower/crit or just straight spellpower.
    Blue sockets should either be SP/Spirit (if the bonus is worth it) or straight SP. Never a nightmare tear and never SP/Crit (which is yellow). RAWR will help you figure out which socket bonuses are worth gemming for, but keep in mind you must have 2 blue gems to activate your CORRECT meta (crit/crit dmg).

Also, as he stated, be sure to level your professions (though Herb/Mining is gonna terrible for a PVE DPS bonus). Your frost spec needs work too (PVE or PVP, 71 talent points should NEVER be spent in the same tree. Go for Torment the Weak in the arcane tree for a frost build. did +12% sound bad?)

Quote Originally Posted by kiliaan View Post
    , never gem for straight anything unless its spellpower in a red socket. blue sockets should be one nightmare tear and then spellpower/crit or just straight spellpower.
    Disregard the text in this quote OP, he couldn't be more wrong.

Please read the sticky before trying to give advice to others. You are doing it wrong.

for the OP,
    Gem right (read the Mage FAQ by Swizzle), it does wonders
    Gear right: Why do you have the frost Mp5 cloak? A little voice in my head is you have no clue how to optimise your gear. Mp5 is a really bad stat for any Mage, and the spirit/crit cape is absolute horse shit for arcane as well (Is that Frost spec a troll or something?), the haste wrathful cloak is a lot better (ignore Laadeeda, some PvP 264 Wrathful stuff is better then a lot lower ilvl items, not for LOLGSLOLOL, but even with some of the item budget going to resilience, the other stats alone beat it out until you can find another good alternative) 4Pt10 is optimal at the moment, go with Robes/Shoulders/Head/Gloves in that order.
    Play right: Why the hell are you using Arcane Barrage?
    Even my horse has a Celestial Steed.
    http://imgur.com/kIg56.png

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobyz View Post
    (ignore Laadeeda, some PvP 264 Wrathful stuff is better then a lot lower ilvl items, not for LOLGSLOLOL, but even with some of the item budget going to resilience, the other stats alone beat it out until you can find another good alternative)

I assume you're referring to the wrathful cloak of subjugation, yeah that is a legit cape.

The only decent PVE ones for arcane are: Cloak of displacement (if you need hit, which you dont), Cape from TOGC25 (GL with that), and then there are ICC Cloaks: http://www.wowhead.com/item=50205)

Go get an abyssal rune.
    Mannoroth-US
    Deedalee - 85 Fire Mage
    All of my alts are dead.

never waste a 4 stack of arcane blast on a arcane barrage, if youre playing as arcane there's 4 different gems you should be using.Your meta gem should be Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, Then to fill the 2 blue gem requirement you want to put Purified Dreadstone's into your best bonus slots but only 2. Next you want to put a Runed Cardinal Ruby in all your red slots and any blue sockets youre not already using for the meta. In any yellow socket you want to be using a Reckless Ametrine. If you are using any others you are doing it wrong (unless ofc you decide to be a JC and use Dragon's Eyes)

Your gear needs to be improved alot...you need to gear for Spellpower > Haste > Crit. Don't be scared to take something a priest wants as it has spirit on it and no hit as you're wayy over the cap and need to lose about 60. You need 288.5 hit if there's no other raid buff for hit (shadow priest / druid etc) Also read the Mage FAQ before you post something like this, do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    Blue sockets should either be SP/Spirit (if the bonus is worth it) or straight SP. Never a nightmare tear and never SP/Crit (which is yellow).
    Actually potents beast out runeds at high gear levels, but nightmare tears are certainly lolawful.

Not trying to be offensive, but why do some people just feel like they need to throw any random gem into any slot? Your gemming confuses me so much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shagguar View Post
    Not trying to be offensive, but why do some people just feel like they need to throw any random gem into any slot? Your gemming confuses me so much.
    what? do you gem socket bonuses only? because that confuses me so much.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    what? do you gem socket bonuses only? because that confuses me so much.

he has 20 crit gems in a back piece, 20 crit in chest, 20 hastes in belt, 23 spell power elsewhere....

he gets no socket bonuses.

he would just be better to put spell power haste in EVERY socket if he's going to gem like that. at least reckless ametrine is a higher ilvl then those other gems...

15+ Year Old Account
    who the hell are we talking about again?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    who the hell are we talking about again?
    This thread is now about kittens?!

oh wow, those are so cute!!
    This signature has been removed due to a violation of the Signatures + Avatars guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by potato bus View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...st&cn=solemage

from your gear, i get the feeling that you picked up pieces solely to boost your gearscore. This is a perfect example of why gearscore fails. Sure, your avg ilvl is decent, but your gear choices, gems, and talents are sub par and will not allow you to compete with properly geared persons...
    qft.

If your 1 key isn't worn out from slamming it nonstop 24/7, you're doing it wrong. Don't wait til it's done casting before you start slamming the next button.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry View Post
    If your 1 key isn't worn out from slamming it nonstop 24/7, you're doing it wrong. Don't wait til it's done casting before you start slamming the next button.
    mine is 2

and awww kittens!
    Last edited by Hoosiermama; 2010-06-19 at 11:55 PM.