Thread: Seriously...

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Seriously...

I am running out of remotely reachable keys to bind. I'm really wondering what the hell I'm going to do in Cataclysm. Anyone else having this problem?

1234567azxcvfghqerty almost all completely bound counting shift/control(alt is just not possible unless its a skill I barely ever need to hit).

Soooo... anyone? Debating switching my crap to where Shift+1 displays a new action bar worth of keys or I'm surely going to run out.

what class are you....

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you're telling me you have 60 buttons bound? Theres no class in the game that requires that many buttons, even at end game raiding. Unbind some of the stuff you don't use. Also get a good mouse and bind buttons to that.

Why don't you play with two keyboards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wat.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a thing called modifiers, there is no way you can run out of key binds.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 What class your playing ?
    2 You dont need ability that you dont use to be keybinded
    3 buy a gameing keyboard
    4 buy a gameing mouse

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukaduk View Post
    There is a thing called modifiers, there is no way you can run out of key binds.
    Reading is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by novva View Post
    1234567azxcvfghqerty almost all completely bound counting shift/control.

No one uses that many spells on a regular basis, that's just silly.

Bind your most used spells to the mouse (+ modifiers), keep the rest around your WASD. Done. I have enough keybinds even when I play a kitty druid. I wonder what class you play.

Depending on what you're using to handle your bars, you could also mess with bar state configurations or w/e it's called.

For example, I use bartender for my bar addon. There are options where you can set your bar to change depending on if you're in/out of stealth, or in a form if you're a druid, and other things similar to that. This way, you could have the same buttons do different actions depending on your character's state or form.

Similarly you can set macros that act as a few different skills in one button depending what form/state your character is in. Either of these methods could help you free up a lot of space with key bindings.

Again, all of this completely depends on what class you play, but I hope this helps anyway.
    Last edited by ricepudding; 2010-06-19 at 08:20 AM.
    Goguma <Severity Gaming> - Lv100 Human Paladin

I don't get peoples problem with alt keybinds...I use Alt Keybinds for some of my skills I use most often..

1-5 Q E F X Z
    Alt 1-5 Q E F X Z
    And Wheel Up/Down
    And Ctrl Wheel Up/Down

Alt works pretty well for me, shift works terrible.

Well I have to use 1-10, F1-F12, and about 5 other keybinds on my main as a necessity. The rest I have as clickables, since they're not needed in emergencies. I too am a bit worried about having to use more keybinds in Cata, not because I have no room, but because I don't want to have to use most of my keyboard to play, and also it's easy to misclick (especially when have so many alts which use different keybinds).

Those who say you only need 1 or 2 bars probably don't PvP much. In PvP you really need to use almost all the skills you learn given the different situations you'll have to face.

Also, since I don't use any addons (and don't plan on doing so), I only really have 3 toolbars to work with (I don't use the right toolbar b/c it won't let me scroll through the stats in AV, etc).
    Last edited by ArcticBlade; 2010-06-19 at 08:25 AM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I don't get peoples problem with alt keybinds...I use Alt Keybinds for some of my skills I use most often..

1-5 Q E F X Z
    Alt 1-5 Q E F X Z
    And Wheel Up/Down
    And Ctrl Wheel Up/Down

Alt works pretty well for me, shift works terrible.
    Depends how you have your hand on your keyboard, as well as how big your hands are. Shift works perfect for me, alt is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukaduk View Post
    Modifiers don't work if you use those modifiers to bind more skills.

I also can not get modifers to work on anything other than the number keys. Can't get them to work for Q E F X Z or anything like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Multi-button mouse is your answer.
    Try having 9 buttons on your mouse, it does wonders for your binds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoka View Post
    So you're telling me you have 60 buttons bound? Theres no class in the game that requires that many buttons, even at end game raiding. Unbind some of the stuff you don't use. Also get a good mouse and bind buttons to that.

I said alt is horrible for me, so that's 40

I don't raid, I arena. Well I raid too occasionally but, that's not the point. Anyone can raid with 10 buttons, sure. Let me give you an example of how these binds pile up.

Banish, Focus Banish
    Fear, Focus Fear
    Spell lock, Focus Spell lock
    Devour self, devour team1, devour team2
    Haunt, ua, corruption, exhaustion, elements, agony, shadow bolt, fel dom, fel hunter, voidwalker, soul link, deathcoil, searing pain, drain life, drain mana, howl of terror, curse of tongues.

Those are all high priority abilites that at least need bound, that's 26 already off the immediate top of my head.

I have a logitech g9x, its a very nice mouse.

Mouse5 is vent, mouse4 and shift/ctrl mouse4 are both bound(fel armor, demon armor).

My other character is a priest, I mainly play it shadow but of course I have my heals bound as well. I really don't feel like listing abilities again so you'll just have to take my word for it there.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I said alt is horrible for me, so that's 40

I don't raid, I arena. Well I raid too occasionally but, that's not the point. Anyone can raid with 10 buttons, sure. Let me give you an example of how these binds pile up.

Banish, Focus Banish
    Fear, Focus Fear
    Spell lock, Focus Spell lock
    Devour self, devour team1, devour team2
    Haunt, ua, corruption, exhaustion, elements, agony, shadow bolt, fel dom, fel hunter, voidwalker, soul link, deathcoil, searing pain, drain life, drain mana, howl of terror, curse of tongues.

Those are all high priority abilites that at least need bound, that's 26 already off the immediate top of my head.

I have a logitech g9x, its a very nice mouse.

Mouse5 is vent, mouse4 and shift/ctrl mouse4 are both bound(fel armor, demon armor).

My other character is a priest, I mainly play it shadow but of course I have my heals bound as well. I really don't feel like listing abilities again so you'll just have to take my word for it there.
    Thats still only 26, out of 60. And yes, you have your original 20 + 20 w/shift + 20 w/ctrl = 60. You can't even count the amount of binds you have available? What are you doing with those other 34 buttons you have free?

Wow, not sure how I missed that point. In a random dungeon right now on my Rogue, I'll get on my lock after and list more crap.

I don't know if it's possible to affect keys like '`' or idk, say, '1' as modifiers (assuming you're using a qwerty).
    Then for every bind turned into modifier, you would gain a whole keyboard of new binds (minus your 3-4 modifiers ofc)

But I imagine it's not allowed by the game configuration.

Anyway, I still can't imagine how can any class really have to USE that many keybinds (including macros). Did you also bind emotes, heartstone, profession skills and so on ?

I'm curious, why do you have one of the easiest accessible buttons bound to something that you only buff at the beginning of the fight? Maybe your problem isn't the amount of keybinds, but rather keybind management.

In fact, non-dispellable armors don't need to be on key-binds at all. Put them into an addon like Lunarsphere and just click them before the fight. Same goes for Ritual of Summoning, Eye of Kilrogg... whatever spell doesn't need to be immediately used during combat.