Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Your absolutely right evaluating a player based on a number is not exactly effective. We have all ran into exceptions to the system.

For example:

1) Players with high GS’s but little experience, skill and overall a bad player.

2) Players with low GS’s but has experience know how to play their class well with the ability to outperform players with better gear than them.

However every selection process has its flaws. Gear score is just a way to quickly evaluate a player based on factual data. And honestly in the majority of cases it works as intended by weeding out persons unfit to partake in the respective content. Instead they should be working on lower tier raids to obtain the gear needed to advance to the next tier.

The 3 questions that should be asked when evaluating a player’s ability are as follows:

1) Do they have the gear? It’s a simple fact that gear is a limitation their is a point where a player increasing his skill level does nothing to improve their performance because they are already getting the most out of what their gear allows.

2) Do they have experience and skill? Gear means very little when you don’t know what you should be doing during a boss fight and what rotation you should be using and if your some weird ass spec with bad gear selection, gemming, enchants, glyphs etc……

3) Are they a good contribution to the raid environment? No sense in a getting a good player that is a douche bag. They will only come in and lower the group’s moral and increase the chance of a group breaking up.

1 out of these 3 questions are easily answered the other 2 requires some personal knowledge of the raider which in a pug you can’t quickly evaluate.

From my experience most people that have a major issue with the add-on are indeed bad players who believe that they aren’t.

Instead of bashing the add-on how about creating a system of your own that would allow a player to quickly develop a raid group of members that can perform at an acceptable level. It is easy to criticize most things but unless you have a viable improvement then your criticism is unwarranted and you’re just wasting your time and the time of everyone that reads this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffbot View Post
    Actually, Gearscore isn't the problem, it could be nice addon. People just can't use it properly.
    or maybe you don't understand it.

Gearscore is to compare players against each other, not the instance.

guild tag>friend>gs>some random

10+ Year Old Account
    Before gearscore, people searched you on the armory. Before the armory, they asked you for achievements. Before achievements, they made sure you were in full tier.

THIS. ATTITUDE. IS. NOT. NEW!

How many times is this going to need to be said? Gearscore or not, you're not getting your toon in blues into ICC25, k?

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

Deleted
    Actually, Gearscore isn't the problem, it could be nice addon. People just can't use it properly.
    /thread thank you

Deleted
    DRUGS ARE FINE, IT'S PEOPLE THAT OVERDOSE IT ARE STUPID

Seriously, your logic is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    ^^
    QQ I didn't get in a raid because my gear is bad. There is nothing wrong with the addon itself. People using it to be douchebags are the problem. If someone hit you in the face with a hammer, would you come to the forum and QQ that hammers are bad?

The only people who get upset about gearscore are the people who have a low score trying to get into content they have no business in. You need 5k minimum for PUG ICC, if you want to go in with a lower score, ask your guild to take you.

If someone is asking for a higher score, guess what, they made the raid, they made the rules. They are trying to ensure the least amount of risk for bad players. If you want to PUG ICC with 4400 gearscore, try starting your own group and see how far you get.

There is no skill score, there is no way to measure in game how skilled you are, nor will there ever be. So get used to it. Surprise, a game based on gear also limits you based on the same.

Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    gearscore isnt the problem man its elitest pricsk and nubs who abuse it saying i wont inv u because ur gearscore isnt as good or better than mine because i think my gear being at 5.6k is the minimum which it isnt when ICC came out their gearscore was the 245 and 258 equivalent idk maybe like 5.2k
    I tanked ICC when i came out on my tank paladin alt. Wich had 4.5k GS and that without the buff ofcourse

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2083 View Post
    Blizzard should have broken Gearscore as well as AVR so that people can be judged on skill and not need 5500+ to do ICC10 and only clear first wing.

/discuss
    ok.

lol, what a stupid post that is.. HOW EXACTLY do you judge the skill of a unknown person?! ask your magic glass-sphere?!

Quote Originally Posted by Astemus View Post
    The only people who get upset about gearscore are the people who have a low score trying to get into content they have no business in. You need 5k minimum for PUG ICC, if you want to go in with a lower score, ask your guild to take you.

If someone is asking for a higher score, guess what, they made the raid, they made the rules. They are trying to ensure the least amount of risk for bad players. If you want to PUG ICC with 4400 gearscore, try starting your own group and see how far you get.

There is no skill score, there is no way to measure in game how skilled you are, nor will there ever be. So get used to it. Surprise, a game based on gear also limits you based on the same.
    I have a shaman that did LK with 5.5k GS with ease and was top healing with the worst gear. I have a warrior with 5.7k GS that has done 5 bosses because the server requirements are way to high and there's no way for me to prove the shaman on the other server is mine . (And no , no one will bother relogging either.

Makes sense huh?

If they break Gearscore (what they will not do) people will run this macro:

/cleartarget [mod:alt]
    /ins
    /run local t,c,u=0,0,UnitExists("target") and "target" or "player" for i =1,18 do if i~=4 then local k=GetInventoryItemLink(u,i) if k then local _,_,_,l=GetItemInfo(k) t=t+l c=c+1 end end end if c>0 then print(t/c) end

It shows the average Itemlevel you have.
    Then they will ask for people with itemlevel 260 for ICC heroic.
    You topic is pointless and just shows you don't understand the game.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I find achievements as a regular e-peen meters. You know, the "I did this, I am better than you, har har" thing that's been stuck on consoles and now in WoW. I just really don't care about feats like that. A good player should be judged by his/hers skill (gear / spec / performance), his/hers ability to cooperate (being punctual / doing his/hers class roll / listening to or relaying orders / being friendly or professional / being a leader or contributing to the group). An achievment can never (EVER) sum all of these feats in one, and if you think defeating Yog'Saron with 0 keepers or LK HC is THE proof, circle around and see how many people have it. IT DOESN'T PROVE ANYTHING!

Sure you might say it's a filter for the retards, but that same statement is a two edged sword. I remember veterans coming back to WoW in WOTLK, unable to go in raids due to "LINK ACHIEVMENTZOR NEWB" and the gearscore rant. Yes, yes, YOU CAN GET INTO A GUILD and avoid all the bullcrap but not everyone has a guild, and even if you can find a suitable one, you still need to have decent enough gear (or a friend to pitch you in) in order to get an invite. So, bottom line, we did raids and farmed instances in TBC without these shitty "improvements" to the gameplay so we can just as easily go back and play the game without them.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Vempriex View Post
    ^ This.
    ^ is BS. A "veteran" as the only example when the achievement system fails isn't valid. Because if he is a veteran he has a guild and ppl who know him and so he has a regular raid and does not need any gearscore.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    ^^This
    With this added in:

---------- Post added 06-16-2010 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    The game was fine before achievements and Gearscore... there were morons and pricks but still, it worked. Now, everything is messed up to the point where the above mentioned group of people somehow rule the world... just saying.
    Sounds like someone can't do the content or get the achievements and is QQ'n?
    Seriously?
    Guerss what? it's NOT hard to get the GS that people require for pug ICC's.
    Just fucking did it on a Boomkin, took me about two weeks because I'm lazy.
    Yeah, I hate everything being boiled down to one number, but when the game changes, adapt, and don't start crying that the game is ruined. It's far from ruined, you just have to spend a tad more time before you can Pug.

Well this topic is new........

What's the proper use for Gearscore? I keep seeing the "You're doing it wrong!" thing get thrown about when these very new and very exciting discussions pop up.

My main problem with the implementation of Gearscore is how easy it is to "fool", and how much it doesn't even take into account. I could equip just a bunch of random gear with the highest ilvls and get a higher GS. I could have terrible gems and enchants in my 264 gear that I got from getting carried but Gearscore doesn't care.

If I were to judge people based on arbitrary numbers generated from a third party, I'd use wow-heroes. At least it actually takes gems and enchants into consideration.

Gearscore is just about worthless as anything other than "Did this person just hit 80?", which can be accomplished in other ways that actually provide relevant information.

The sad truth is that even if you are trying your absolute best, 4k dps is not acceptable for ICC. It really isn't. We've sat out guildies doing 3.5-4k in 10-man.

But my BIGGEST pet peeve, regardless of dps or hps or gs, is bad environmental awareness. Which I guess a falls under skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    An evolotion of GS:

*GS comes out, is popular among people PUG'ing raids

*GS leaches into general populace who aspire to do raids but have never yet tried

*Afore mentioned players learn that the higher GS you have, the more often you get invites

*Gear stops being analyzed for its stats & how it will benefit the players overall balance

*New GS mentality begins to evolve: "If it has a higher GS, it must be better"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uninformed players who have no desire to learn mechanics or the thought process involved while molding your character will remain ignorant. While it isn't exactly a desired effect, at least GS gives those types of players a base to stand on. Don't forget the days when you had lvl 60 Holy Pally's running around with nothing but STR because "It helps me solo". GS started off as a good thing, and as with all things it can be used poorly. Coming from a larger view of how bad players can actually be .. GS is a step up. If it doesn't benefit you all the time, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    What's the proper use for Gearscore? I keep seeing the "You're doing it wrong!" thing get thrown about when these very new and very exciting discussions pop up.
    Its a starting point. If someone's gearscore is low enough, you don't want to bring them to ICC even if they are a good player, they just won't be able to put out enough DPS, heals, etc. If you check their gearscore, you can quickly see if they aren't in the ballpark gearwise. This can quickly weed out players you don't want in your group.

After you have an idea of their gear level, you can inspect them for gear choices, spec, achievement, etc to decide if they are really a good player.