Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Some major reasons why tanks are Elitests in heroics

Because most of the world of warcraft players including the ones reading this arent that good at the game including the tanks.

A lot of tanks arent bad players some are but they arnt the ones people complain about being elitists.

Most DPS are there for a free ride and arent paying very much attention because there are 3 of them so they are ether spamming buttons while talking to a friend or the exact opposite they are watching YouTube clips while alt tabing back and forth.

The button spammers just pick the closest target to them and start DPSing it even if the tank hasnt even touched it they dont care they are topping the meters while half afk and bragging about it to their friends how bad the DPS is in the group. Then when they have aggro they blame the tank. Alot of these players are rogues and hunters.(obvious reasons why they are retarded)

The alt tabbed half ones watching YouTube clips (or any other thing they are doing) are in full ICC gear and are doing nothing to help the group they have 5k+ dps and only 5% of the total damage done.

Then there are the people that just hit 80 and have no idea how their class works yet they think they are doing very well because they only saw 20 misses instead of 40 they are the ones that have berserking on their weapons as hunters or int/mp5 gems as warlocks.

Next we have this issue: The DPS forgot that they can do stuff besides DPS.

The tank is pulling all the mobs taunting generating threat on 3 differnt mobs that all 3 DPS are hitting. Then the DPS pull an extra group with casters for w/e reason and the tank has to run over and pick up those mobs interupt the casters and then pick get all of the mobs together so the DPS arnt complaining they cant AOE all of the mobs while there are casters in both groups. Mean while all they had to do was Mis-Direct TotT CC or interupt to make the tanks job a little easier but dont.

So in most groups you have a tank that is working his ass off and 3 DPS that are doing one of the things listed above. The tank is #1 or #2 on recount for damage done has all of the interupts and has all of his ablitys on cooldown almost all the time.

Meanwhile the tank is wondering WTF are these dudes doing. Im in full tanking gear and #1 DPS? Why is this DK death griping the add thats on me. Why did the hunter send his pet into that group over there? Why did the healer put a shield on me as I charge into the group of mobs now I have to go pick them up instead of just having them come to me?

Next is the healer that doesnt drink or use mana return cooldowns between pulls. He waits till hes completly oom then spams OOM 10 times in chat while you are tanking one mob waiting on him to drink. However instead of finishing his drink he jumps up and spam heals you while you are at full health. Then proceeds to act as if you cant see his mana bar and tells you as if this is the first instance you have ever tanked how mana and healing works.

The last one but is far less common than the rest:
    The tank thinks hes good.
    Normaly this tank is from a bad guild that has a few good players in it but hes their main tank he gets fed tricks and misdirects from his DPS so they dont pull off of him and he doesnt know or care because he thinks hes doing massive threat so when he trys to do heroics he doesnt have these things being fed to him and people pull off him. So he blames them.

These are the things I've ran into in the 4+ years Ive been tanking on a warrior. I have probably missed a few but these are the major ones that are far to common in heroics. People wonder why tanks get bitter or act like "elitists" this is why I hope you understand it and stop posting about it.

EDIT: I shouldnt have to put this but this post doesnt say ALL dps are bad its refering to DPS that act in this way get over it if you are offended because a tank that doesnt know you treats you as the large number of people he runs into and Im sure hes thankful he ran into the 1 in 50 (made up number [for the trolls]) DPS that actually does well.

Edit 2: I cant believe the number of people that are offend by this post YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A HEALER (OR A DPS) AND I'M A HEALER (OR DPS) THIS COMPLETELY OFFENDS ME EVEN THOUGH YOU WEREN'T DIRECTING THIS AT ME BECAUSE I DO MY JOB I'M NOT PART OF THAT GROUP THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! FLAME FLAME FLAME (um great dude you don't do the things listed.. um... GOOD JOB BUDDY KEEP IT UP!) If you want to defend piss poor players that do the things above Ill have a great time making fun of you. If you are that stupid you deserve it IMHO.
    Last edited by Evirx; 2010-06-20 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    There has never really been a time in the game when you could just do whatever you wanted with your class and be equally effective. Then, as now, smart players doing a lot of homework would figure out the most optimized way to play. You can choose to follow their recommendations, try to find an even more optimized way to play, or just do your own thing because that's more enjoyable for you, knowing that you may pay the price of being less optimized.

Deleted
    TL;DR: I'm a tank and I believe everything I do is perfect while everyone else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post
    TL;DR: I'm a tank and I believe everything I do is perfect while everyone else fails.
    you could have at least read the first 2 lines...
    There has never really been a time in the game when you could just do whatever you wanted with your class and be equally effective. Then, as now, smart players doing a lot of homework would figure out the most optimized way to play. You can choose to follow their recommendations, try to find an even more optimized way to play, or just do your own thing because that's more enjoyable for you, knowing that you may pay the price of being less optimized.

You spelled elitist wrong.

Oh, and something constructive too. Stop assuming all DPS are mouthbreating, alt-tabbing retards.

Thanks, Management.

you forgot something
    the dps/healer/tank thats doing their job and are good at it: this groups is self explanatory. they go in, do their jobs, get their badges, and leave.

also alt-tabbing for things is out, windowed mode is in.
    Last edited by superbattler; 2010-06-16 at 07:48 PM.

Elitist=/=Jerk
    But actually I think Luckystar got it pretty right.
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great post. Would read again.

anyone whos elitest in heroics are stupid lol

its not a raid, its a heroic lol

but I usually tank in heroics and just ignore all feedback and stuff and do my job

best way todo heroics in my opinion

while having music blasting

EDIT: btw didn't read post, may not be towards what the OP said

refering to the title of the post

Deleted
    I usualy play ' The new tank 'some of the quotes are:
    -Sorry im new, if i tank bad i will leave.
    -AM I doing right?
    -Tactics? (optional)
    -All the kinda stuff that would make others tell you ' you will do fine' etcm etc.

The only way for tank to make the group polite, if there is an elitist here who tries to kick me, they kick HIM instead, because DPS<Tank, no matter GS (BTW i tank good, this is just a actor play)

How about no to all of the above. I'm a healer and I NEVER OOM nor do I drink, know why? Cause I have excellent mana regen, what all casters/healers should be going for.

Also, this seems more like a personal experience than facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Garam View Post

Oh, and something constructive too. Stop assuming all DPS are mouthbreating, alt-tabbing retards.

Thanks, Management.
    Did I say all? Did I refer all? Was the post here are some things good DPS acctualy do thanks for doing them? Nope... About the spelling Im at work and I was walking away a lot and I mis-spelled a few things with the new forums you cant change the title

This is atleast partially true.
    Although, i got to admit, that i get a bit cranky while tanking heroics, due to having encountered so many bad dpsers while leveling and doing my dailies.
    And most of the time, guess who gets the blame after a wipe where some random dps pulled 2 extra packs, or the healer went oom from dpsing?

For what it's worth, I agree with you OP. A lot of players don't realize that tanks have to pay attention all the time, while if a DPS slacks, the group is still fine. A slacking healer can and will blame the tank for not popping cooldowns.

These days while doing heroics, I find myself spending the whole run trying to compensate for bad/slacking/new players. Healers who doesn't aoe heal at all, DPS who thinks it's their job to pull new groups, the list just goes on.

Anyway in before 10 pages of "lol elitist tank gogogo"
    Whining about WoW since closed beta.
    Retired from WoW since patch 4.0.6.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cenarius View Post
    How about no to all of the above. I'm a healer and I NEVER OOM nor do I drink, know why? Cause I have excellent mana regen, what all casters/healers should be going for.

You ever tank a heroic? The OP mentioned MANY things that have happened to me. I've had healers refuse to heal me because I pulled a trash group when they were at 60% mana. I've had healers drop group because I pulled two trash groups at once. I've had healers beg me to wait for mana because they used up all their mana on dps abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Evirx View Post
    Did I say all? Did I refer all? Was the post here are some things good DPS acctualy do thanks for doing them? Nope... About the spelling Im at work and I was walking away a lot and I mis-spelled a few things with the new forums you cant change the title

You spelled it wrong twice in the post too. And I don't bother reading posts with bad grammar anyway. I just assume they're an idiot and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cenarius View Post

1 learn to read...

2 read the last line where it refers to it being personal experince

3 learn to read... Grats you arnt the healer that doesnt go oom you aren't >>THAT GUY<< that I was refering to.

A good tank understand they're the most important part of the group (you can argue with this, but it's true. Deal with it.), but doesn't abuse it. At the same time, they're not afraid to enforce the fact if one of the other members gets uppity and decides to be an asshole.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Garam View Post

Thanks, Management.
    I didn't know all DPS were bad and none of them pulled their weight. Besides you act as if a DPS should have to put effort into a heroic. 10k DPS on bosses please.

Your justifications are crap. Just because there are noobs and idiots out there doesn't mean you're justified to act like an elitist ass to people who aren't noobs or idiots.

Do you also apply this to real life? Your boss yells at you even though you did a good day's work so you come home and yell at your wife?

This is a horrible attitude.
    Last edited by emni; 2010-06-16 at 08:03 PM. Reason: double post

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evirx View Post
    Because most of the world of warcraft players including the ones reading this arent that good at the game including the tanks.
    So you come on the forums to insult the people that read them, read your post, and think you made some kind of valid point afterwards.

If I'm not that good and I'm reading your post, what does that say about you for making it?

You lose.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present