Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Started on the same day the Black Temple patch came out, spent 3 days patching.... >.>

But I remember back when normal 60% mounts were at level 40, I got mine at 52 just cuz I was horrible at keeping gold while leveling Blacksmithing.... Yep, those were the days where running gave me some sort of trauma...

I still unknowingly run on my low level alts, forgetting that I have a mount before level 30....

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Great thread. I think I would sit the noob on my knee and tell them what it was like to level mining and engineering with only a 100% speed mount.
    Oh, and also:
    Excuse me sir, but I do believe you are talking out of your ass.
    I agree with every part of your post.
    “The shadows will hide me until my true power is recognized.”
    RP Character -- Niklaus "Nick" Giorgiovo (My First)

I actually already do this, to a point.

I have a group of people I know IRL (they are older... in their 40's) who didn't start playing until TBC... a couple of them aren't even aware of a WoW without Achievements. They are pretty terrible, but well-meaning, players. They complain about difficulty sometimes, and struggle (as a group) with even the old heroics. The ICC 5 mans are out of their grasp outside of pugs that carry them (but I digress...)

I like to tell them...
    - When warriors were the only tanks. If you were capable of healing, you were a healer, and the only viable DPS were mages, rogues, warlocks, warriors, and hunters.
    - Paladin and Shaman were faction specific.
    - When Scholomance and Stratholme were so hard as 5 man instances, that they had to be raided in raids of 10+ just to be finished.
    - Regular ground mounts weren't gained until 40 and cost 90g. Epic mounts available at 60 and cost 900g, which was considered to be nigh unobtainable at the time.

And various other nostalgia-related things that come up. Even though they leveled through the current old world, they still are completely unaware of how the game was then. They simply cannot fathom 40 man raids, and the concept of world PvP is completely foreign to them.

Deleted
    The legend of Stalvan questline, the Mor'Ladim questline,the stitches questline... scratch that the ENTIRE zone of duskwood, i never got bored there, i was nearly always scared, every quest felt as if it had a purpose and that epic feeling of gathering an entire raid of low level people to finally kill Stitches, the menace of the town...

Nothing beats that. NOTHING!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Excuse me sir, but I do believe you are talking out of your ass.
    Nostalgia can fuck with your mind.

ot:
    7 irl friends and me, at level 15-7 wanted to do an instance.(Note that we were noobs and new at this game). We found out that SFK had max 10 players, so we figured out. "What the hell, lets raid this shit!"

We had one level 20 rogue tanking, also a irl friend. 2 Healers and rest dps, and we just did it. I had this epic raid feeling to!

This may sound like the most stupid thing to do ever, but when i think back at it, about how fun we had...baawwww. Nostalgia, i love you sometimes.

But i dont want to do it again, because i know that it would fuck up the great memory, and i would not be the same. Because thniking at this now, it sounds stupid.

Nostalgia can be both good, and bad.

Advice:

Never ever try to bring back old things you experienced as epic a few years ago, like the old AV, 40mans and Vanilla. It may sound epic indeed. But if you got to experience it all over again, it would destroy your memory and nostalgia would totally fuck up your head. And then you realize that its not as epic as you remember. Keep those memories in your head and open up your head for new experiences

Im not telling you this to be a fanboy/troll/idiot. Im telling you this as a internet friend:P Ive had a few nasty experiences with nostalgia myself:/
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2010-06-17 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowviper View Post
    Ah. Back in the hours and hours it took to finish one AV. Epic battles. Now everyone just zergs to captain and lets see who can kill the captain first woot!
    this. i once participated in one of the longest AV's in wow's history (i believe it lasted 19 hours or so, but in a rare occasion could they last days though)
    and back when shamans, paladins, priests and druids werent anything else then healers in raids (you saw a tankadin in VERY rare occasions, but only for undead instances/raids and a dps shaman every now and then) and when warriors were the only tank used in raids.

When we had to wait to lvl 40 for our 60% mount.

When meeting stones existed, BUT it couldnt summon, it only listed you to auto group with people FROM YOUR OWN SERVER when there was enough, it were hell of a mess if you ended up without a healer.

when stratholme UD wing were a 10 man run (thats hellotta time ago.)
    when you started to raid with BLUES ONLY
    no gearscore
    wtflol melee hunters (survival ftw)
    the 40 man raids.
    no gay elfs or spacegoats.
    and when engineering didnt have ANY use to anybody but yourself (well, you had a single weapon that werent engineer bound, but it were expensive to make)
    back when thousands of gold were as epic as having gold cap now these days.
    when farming grey items were a viable way of making easy money.
    and the endless brood of nozdormu farming >.<
    Last edited by freezion; 2010-06-17 at 12:30 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    this. i once participated in one of the longest AV's in wow's history (i believe it lasted 19 hours or so)
    I never experienced those AVs. But i remember a 3-4 hr long WSG tho.

oooh back in my day, we had to raid for 27 hours a day, uphill and in the snow! we'd pay just to wipe and when we were done our guildmaster would kill us and dance on our graves.
    but seriously tho, vanilla was good, but mostly because it was all new
    i still remember the old BG's fondly tho, mostly because i got the alliance pvp set + that big ol' sword on my pally and would go out a' swingin in the BG's... good fun that, grind or no grind, i miss the old 3 day AV's and the pre-cross server rivalry

I would tell them about PVP ranks and dishonor.

When going to Astranaar as a horde to kill some alliance sometimes meant disaster when we attacked one of the alliance citizens and we accually lost honor.
    Man, I remember how quickly I left the group and heartstoned back to orgrimmar when I saw one of my friends attack one of the civilians, I didn't spend several hours a day farming battlegrounds to slow down my rank progression.

<DIRTY> 60 PvP /end guild
    We are a Thriving Mal'Ganis Ally 60s guild recruiting for PvP and some end game fun
    With Wotlk having that left a blah taste we have turned to 60s PvP for fun
    Looking for a challege on a horde over populated server join us in the bloodlust then .
    Weekly 60 only quick MC/BWL/AQ/ZG
    We are doing RAF for those who need with power leveling through instance 60 in 2 days or less
    Also help with rep farming / enchanting/ etc
    We are <Dirty> deeds done dirt cheap ................

Location: Mal'ganis(High pop) - US - Ally (Battle Group Stormstrike)

Guild Focus: Twink pvp (classic capped accounts only) / 60 exp capped is ok for world PvP/Raids
    What we are looking for: <DIRTY> is looking for highly active, dedicated and skilled players For twink pvp. We have no restrictions on gear, enchants or glyphs. All players will be able to use any gear available to them for raiding and pvp. We expect you to have in-depth knowledge of your class. This includes knowing all applicable specs, optimal gear setup, having your enchants, glyphs and gems socketed and ready to play. We use a loot council type system for all raid content. All raids will be at 7:00pm(CST) server time.

Openings:Currently recruiting all classes except DK's

Requirements:
    1) Must have Ventrilo and a mic
    2) Must be registered on the website with your in game name
    3) Must be active. Most our members are on 5-7days a week. We expect you to be on at least 3-5
    4) Some mods are required, you will be notified which ones upon acceptance to the guild
    5) Dedication to your toon
    6) A sense of humor

Guild Benefits:
    1) We pay all Raiders repair bills
    2) Guild bank full of classic raiding mats, gear ect.
    3) Ventrilo and website
    4) Leadership thats been playing since release
    5) Classic raid content done every week 60 only raids and alt rushes for your alts

please contact ingame Velvettouch/Evil/Wacky/Slucy/Neiniches/Gunnerthegreat or any other Officer ingame if interested

DIRTY of Mal'Ganis for our web page

15+ Year Old Account
    Anything i can remember I'll tell them, only if they ask though, i wont brag about being in Vanilla/BC/WoTLK because Vanilla was not at all great, the rest was very fun though. But we all have opinions, rage on me if you want. Only thing they might care about is what old Azeroth looked like, and I'll have a few screen shots to provide

I would love to see where you get the 12 million figure from? The last I heard it was 11 million and falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerdone View Post
    <DIRTY> 60 PvP /end guild
    Not to be rude but could you keep this somewhere else, at least the official wow forums?
    (Dont kill me moderators)

Back in my day, we had to kite mobs two miles uphill in the snow!
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
    I would love to see where you get the 12 million figure from? The last I heard it was 11 million and falling.
    Well you are half right, The last official release by Blizzard was 11.5 million --
    http://www.wow.com/2008/12/23/world-...n-subscribers/
    But reports on WoW.com show that it may be increasing --
    http://www.wow.com/2009/09/29/is-wow...ll-increasing/

Quote Originally Posted by Theodekk View Post
    Well you are half right, The last official release by Blizzard was 11.5 million --
    http://www.wow.com/2008/12/23/world-...n-subscribers/
    But reports on WoW.com show that it may be increasing --
    http://www.wow.com/2009/09/29/is-wow...ll-increasing/
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard would have announced when the playerbase went over 12million and 12.5million. Not to the fanbase but in the investor reports. I would be surprised if the game hadn't peaked already. Roll on Blizzcon for next MMO :<. I am bored of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard would have announced when the playerbase went over 12million and 12.5million. Not to the fanbase but in the investor reports. I would be surprised if the game hadn't peaked already. Roll on Blizzcon for next MMO :<. I am bored of WoW.
    ok... stop playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love doing this to my cousin who started playing just after the release of Lich King.
    "Ironforge used to be the only Alliance Auction House"
    "Back before they increased rep gains, Exalted used to mean something"
    "Flying used to consist of having to fly again at each stop because they didn't autoconnect"
    "Shamans used to be Horde only and Paladins Alliance only"

I do it mostly in fun, but it's part old-manning

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when there were no dks...
    I remember when you had to grind rep and do quests to get into some instances
    I remember when you could get an epic mount at 60, but couldn't afford it until like 65
    I remember when you had to yell forever in trade to get a dungeon group
    I remember when there were no achievements
    I remember when epic flight was insanely hard to get
    I remember when you couldn't change your hair