Thread: Ashbringer...?

Ashbringer...?

Ok, so this occured to me a while ago last night just randomly while leveling an alt through Icecrown. Frostmourne, right, is essentially a sentient manifestation of evil and corruption, being weilded by one of the greatest warriors of the age. That's kinda a big deal. It's also arguable that the main villain of this whole expansion hasn't been Arthas or even the Lich King at all, but in fact Frostmourne, since it's now obvious that without it's influence, Bolvar and Ner'zhul fused without even a glimer of a problem and are now a benevolant demigod. Ok, with this in mind that Frostmourne is/was the most powerful artifact in Azeroth, being weilded by the master of death itself...Tirion, a mere mortal human paladin, of rather humble beginnings saving the life of Eitrigg, exiling himself from his own order and living out his life as a hermit, only to take up the Ashbringer at a fairly late stage in the story arch to date...jumps and uses the Ashbringer to completly shatter Frostmourne in a single blow...

This has me wondering...

How powerful does that make the Ashbringer?! Seriously! This thing has to be far more destructive than anyone in the lore currently has any idea of. Considering that Ashbringer was 'cleansed' by paladins to become an element of light, after being what was described as the polarity of darkness on Azeroth, who's to say that it's not just an even bigger threat than Frostmourne was? The Argent Dawn is riding all their hopes on a metaphorical atomic bomb just waiting to go off! I highly doubt that the Ashbringer's story is finished, since hardly any lore has been put behind it as of yet in game, so perhaps they're leaving room for further expansions to develop this.
    Comments?

Your friendly neighborhood loretard,
    -Scythax

Deleted
    well when you fight the lich king in fase 3 1 member (depending on the difficulty) in your raid will go into frostmourne and fight it or heal the spirrit fighting it and thereby weakening it (you fight the frostmourne spirrit IRC)

so when you say tha ashbringer destroys frostmourne in 1 blow you are a bit wrong .. it destroys a waekend frostmnourne in 1 blow

but the being said ashbringer is still extremely powerfull. And it would nbot suprise me if asbringer would also hold somekind of spirrit in it even if it is just a reason they need for its strength

Deleted
    I don't think Ashi is anything like a "time bomb" it depends more on who's having it. I'm pretty confident while it's in the hands of the Argent Crusade it will be in its good incarnation because if those guys (fighting for all that's righteous and holy) fall into corruption what hope is there for everyone else.

Will Ashi get to shine again? If have to face the scourge again - probably yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Natova View Post
    well when you fight the lich king in fase 3 1 member (depending on the difficulty) in your raid will go into frostmourne and fight it or heal the spirrit fighting it and thereby weakening it (you fight the frostmourne spirrit IRC)

so when you say tha ashbringer destroys frostmourne in 1 blow you are a bit wrong .. it destroys a waekend frostmnourne in 1 blow

but the being said ashbringer is still extremely powerfull. And it would nbot suprise me if asbringer would also hold somekind of spirrit in it even if it is just a reason they need for its strength
    Isn't it made of a Naaru or something? =P

Nope. Ashbringer is made of the cleansed polarity of darkness given a tangable form. Ashbringer isn't even a weapon of good to start with, it's just in an alternate form of something far far more sinister than most people realise.

As seen in COT Durnholde, Ashbringer is forged from the remains of a corrupted Naaru.

It's been switching quite a bit now.

holy naaru, corrupted naaru, holy artifact, holy weapon, corrupted weapon, cleansed weapon.
    Last edited by Fuse.core; 2010-06-17 at 02:14 PM.
    80 80 80 80 80 80 70 60 60

10+ Year Old Account
    The brigther the light shines, the darker the shadows will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    This interests me... if any new information arises on Ashbringer please post.

"The crystal from which the original Ashbringer was created is likely related to the naaru, and may in fact be a naaru.

The naaru life cycle is one of reincarnation. When a naaru's physical form is damaged, it becomes "darkened."[6] The naaru will persist in this state until they slowly regenerate their powers from the Light over many years, after which they will be "reborn" into their "Light" form again.[7] The Ashbringer crystal demonstrated a similar duality: a holy spell was cast on the dark crystal and it became a crystal of light. Furthermore, the crystal was described as a living embodiment, suggesting that it is alive, or at least sentient — possibly a darkened naaru. If the crystal is not a darkened naaru, then it is almost certainly closely associated with them, perhaps one of the Ata'mal Crystals.

Mograine also stated that the crystal is from Draenor. The naaru had not yet arrived on Draenor via Tempest Keep before the Second War, implying that only the naaru aboard Oshu'gun could be the possible source: K'ure, D'ore, another unnamed naaru, or simply an artifact on board".

well no i dont think ur right there ashbringer drives its power for an orcish demonic orb, but its been outlined that the orb just imitated spells cast upon it. That’s y it has been able to be tainted and re cleansed but the orb is no more sinister then the person who uses it. And when it was tainted it Refused to kill the paladins at lights hope chapel remember? which would underline its not evil

Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    Ok, so this occured to me a while ago last night just randomly while leveling an alt through Icecrown. Frostmourne, right, is essentially a sentient manifestation of evil and corruption, being weilded by one of the greatest warriors of the age. That's kinda a big deal. It's also arguable that the main villain of this whole expansion hasn't been Arthas or even the Lich King at all, but in fact Frostmourne, since it's now obvious that without it's influence, Bolvar and Ner'zhul fused without even a glimer of a problem and are now a benevolant demigod. Ok, with this in mind that Frostmourne is/was the most powerful artifact in Azeroth, being weilded by the master of death itself...Tirion, a mere mortal human paladin, of rather humble beginnings saving the life of Eitrigg, exiling himself from his own order and living out his life as a hermit, only to take up the Ashbringer at a fairly late stage in the story arch to date...jumps and uses the Ashbringer to completly shatter Frostmourne in a single blow...

This has me wondering...

How powerful does that make the Ashbringer?! Seriously! This thing has to be far more destructive than anyone in the lore currently has any idea of. Considering that Ashbringer was 'cleansed' by paladins to become an element of light, after being what was described as the polarity of darkness on Azeroth, who's to say that it's not just an even bigger threat than Frostmourne was? The Argent Dawn is riding all their hopes on a metaphorical atomic bomb just waiting to go off! I highly doubt that the Ashbringer's story is finished, since hardly any lore has been put behind it as of yet in game, so perhaps they're leaving room for further expansions to develop this.
    Comments?

Your friendly neighborhood loretard,
    -Scythax
    its very powerful is all i know

I can see what you're saying. But I don't think we'll be seeing the Ashbringer in the spotlight much anymore, not in game anyway.

I thought of the Ashbringer briefly when I was doing some of the Crusade quests, and when, as the OP metnioned it was able to shatter Frostmourne almost effortlessly. I thought that it surely has to be dangerous in some way.

I thought it could be interesting if it developed a sentience or something. Simmilar to Aretemis' Charon's Claw.

Not necessarily evil, but incredibly overzealous in it's crusade against corruption. Anyway, that was just me up at 1 in the moring completing a quest chain, so who cares :P
    Lolinternet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Logic is not Automatic, it can be denied.
    I still dont get why Tirion took so fing long to HoF himself, he could have 1 shot arthas at start and saved us a lot of trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    but the being said ashbringer is still extremely powerfull. And it would not suprise me if asbringer would also hold somekind of spirrit in it even if it is just a reason they need for its strength
    The player version of The Ashbringer (Which was obtainable in Vanilla from the 4 horsemen) had an actual voice. Sometimes it would whisper you and you could hear it, so that's basicly proof that The Ashbringer had a spirit in it just like Frostmourne had.

What you have to remember is that the sword is not independent from the lich king, it is the lich king. The armor, the sword, Arthas, they are all one entity. Ner'zhul's spirit was infused into the armour and sword, the latter which he cast out to catch Arthas and lure him in. So when Tirion finishes him off, the lich king was pretty messed up after getting beat on by 10-25 heroes for 15 minutes.

That said, Ashbringer originally was a sword with incredible anti-undead powers. It is essentially Frostmournes counterpart. I agree that it could be corrupted again as it once was, but in the hands of Tirion, thats not likely at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorz View Post
    The player version of The Ashbringer (Which was obtainable in Vanilla from the 4 horsemen) had an actual voice. Sometimes it would whisper you and you could hear it, so that's basicly proof that The Ashbringer had a spirit in it just like Frostmourne had.
    Actually, that's the voice of Alexandros Morgraine, the original crafter and wielder of the Ashbringer. He is also the one who gave the sword its name.

As for the whole "level of power" talk, I'd say the Ashbringer is pretty badass itself. It was crafted from a piece of a powerful naaru, cleansed by the Holy powers of the paladins of the Silver hand, had been corrupted once again, and re-cleansed so, judging by the whole "darkness / light power modifiers (if a Naaru goes corrupted then cleansed, its powers grow significantly), than you can bet your ass it's pretty damn powerful.

Think of it like this, the "light" is the most powerful force ever. It has many possibilitys and hasnt been fully explaind yet. The crystal (that still has some speculation on wer and how it came to be) was turnd into a physical representation of the light. With that crystal a sowrd was made and it obliterated undead. So the sowrd would be one of the most powerful weapons ever.

I just hate it how retarded theyv made it, i liked the story so far even the retcon of naxx to allow Darion to obtain it and eventually kill himself. But then its like "hey blizz lets magically cleanse the ashbringer just by having an old man touch it" then you see nothing on how bad ass the ashbringer really is, only time its ever used is destroying arthas' heart and ont shoting frostmourne.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    "hey blizz lets magically cleanse the ashbringer just by having an old man touch it"
    hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha omg thats funny if you think about it

That's the thing with the Light and Paladins, the Light is an infinite source of power to those who dedicate themselves to it.

A paladin can call upon as much energy as they need for the given situation, as long as the cause is righteous and the Paladin is pure.