Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    http://web.archive.org/web/200402080...t/spelldb.html

spell list from leaked, reverse engineered WoW alpha client (we can see alot of dev-test spells that were removed upon the release)

Oh man, brings back memories

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post

[IMG]http://worldofwarcraft.judgehype.com/dbcata/images/users/pnj/pnj_522_1.jpg[IMG]
    Oh god, the horror!

(or humor, depending on whether you were there just to watch people get slaughtered xD)
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol I remember the mace stunlock, oh god nostalgia overload

OP as fuck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    That's Koreans. Japan is so heavily dominated in the console market that mmos don't hold much power. China was into Warcraft 3 and then Korea been into Starcraft since release, and now MOBA's such as League and DOTA. The differences between Japan and Korea are vast.
    Not entirely true. Japan is focused on console. There are just not many MMOs around made to play like or to be played on console. Interest in MMOs could be be sparked if other MMOs had access by console. But for most publisher it is not worth the cost, risk and limitations from console gaming. Square is ruling everything with the Final Fantasy series so far. If they can do it everyone could at least try to take it.

It is untrue that MMOs held not and hold not much power in China. Before the rise of mobile games and MOBAs and even before WoW came along MMOs where counting player in the millions and made a very large portion of all online game earnings.The latest estimations count a still growing number of 30-50 Million Chinese MMO player. Real MMO not Mobas or action games. Due to Chinas growth its is even complete nonsense to claim the global MMO market is in decline. The Chinese MMO market has only after years of fast growth seen numbers stagnating in the very recent months. WoW is the only knwon reason the Chinese P2P MMO market is stagnating for years. Without WoW it would have grown, just not as fast as the F2P market did. The two largest MMO publisher in China kept reporting growing numbers for their MMOs. Money and player. With one exception named. WoW. On rush hour more player are now connected to Tencents MMOs, than WoW can count active accounts in every part of the world.

Thruth is in Asia WoW was never THE ONE game like in Europe or in the U.S. Even with that seemingly high number of Asian player once and still playing. The market is just so much larger. It never was THE biggest MMORPG in China, it never was THE biggest in Korea. It never the THE biggest in Taiwan for long. It never was anything in Japan. Even if you ignore all F2P games. The F2P argument was simply never true. All these markets had established F2P and P2P game choices except for Japan. WoW is still beaten in popularity by more Asian P2P MMORPG in their own country than most your average WoW player could recall the name of popular Asian MMOs.

WoW neither introduced MMOs to them nor was it beaten because of a F2P MMO surge overtaking all P2P MMOs in Asia. It also never held a lions share of the global MMOs market. Those a myths made up by blind WoW fans.
    Last edited by mmoc36f28662f1; 2014-08-23 at 01:59 AM.

Deleted
    Outstanding!
    I knew most points but discovered quite a few in your list and remembered some long forgotten ones.

Thanks for that.

The Warlock quest line to get the mount, which I think is still the longest in the game ever, was a great memory for me and I wish the newer players had the option to do it. Class quests were so grand. Demons and abilities didn't come out of nowhere, you had to earn them and I think it helped getting a feel for the class.

Drakedog FTW!

Btw I'm all for a sticky for this thread especially if someone is willing to update the first post with added material.
    Last edited by mmoca123b20796; 2014-08-24 at 03:34 PM. Reason: sticky

10+ Year Old Account
    Falling off a cliff in Tyr's Hand (back in vanilla before it was modified) into the water and running all around the north-eastern part of the map could get you to an alpha version of Quel'thalas.
    I should still have the video on my hd somewhere...

Nice list! It's very nostalgic reading some of the points.

WoW may not have been better in those days, but it definitely was far more interesting of a game.

Deleted
    Epic thread is epic. Took me a while to actually get through them all and remember the vast majority! Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post

Hardest... questline... ever. Man I used to get roflstomped by that crazy guy in the haunted inn.

Awesome list! Looked up the Vanilla Alpha Female Troll, and all I can say is that I'm now scarred for life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Awesome list! Looked up the Vanilla Alpha Female Troll, and all I can say is that I'm now scarred for life.
    I actually like that one more than the one that went live :/ It looks so much fiercer. Orc and Troll females on live just feel like human female with another skincolor in my opinion ^^
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Thx for the memories and a few things I didn't know

Now makes sense that Nefarian had the DK class call, since DKs were supposed to be in the game since the begining. Nice one Blizz

And IF WoW was exactly like that first cg trailer... omg....

10+ Year Old Account

A couple of enrichments

Additional flavor:

There were no built-in Raid Frames, so the only way to see it was to use CTMod addon.

- CT played on Alleria, one of the very first servers up on opening day in 2004. I played there as well. When the AQ gates event occurred, both Alliance and Horde players banded together and agreed that we would let CT be the one to open the gate, due to his work on CTMod. So he was Alleria's Scarab Lord.

The Winterspring Frostsaber mount took literally weeks (and sometimes even months) of grinding to obtain. In early Vanilla, people who had this mount were often considered to have no life.

The Winterspring Frostsaber took about 240 hours to obtain. The most efficient way to do it was the furbolgs; the giants were too far away, had more health and therefore cost more minutes to complete. It usually took about 15 minutes round trip per quest turn-in. Most Alliance players working on it would group up to share kill credits. (Source: I obtained this mount in 2005, the second on my server to do so. And yes, it was a hell of a grind.)
    Last edited by goblingirl; 2014-09-12 at 04:26 PM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Great topic! I love reading about old WoW. It changed so much!

What about [The Nicker] and how it was renamed to [The Blackrock Slicer] following a lot of racial controversy.

Deleted
    - That there are so many mouth breathing empy heads when leveling.
    "oh look tank is pulling mobs to us and around a corner to bring casters into melee range, ill just stand here and cast fireballs at it so it dont move to us"
    "Shit that stuff hurts on the floor, better stand in it to see what happens. yep it kills me, better do it again to confirm hypothesis, yep hypothesis confirmed red shit on floor kills you"
    and my all time personal favorite.
    "shit, Tank is taking a beating and the healer is struggling, better go run and pull more mobs then bitch that we died"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    The Winterspring Frostsaber took about 240 hours to obtain. The most efficient way to do it was the furbolgs; the giants were too far away, had more health and therefore cost more minutes to complete. It usually took about 15 minutes round trip per quest turn-in. Most Alliance players working on it would group up to share kill credits. (Source: I obtained this mount in 2005, the second on my server to do so. And yes, it was a hell of a grind.)
    I may add that quests giving 250 reputation per turn-in were still a distant dream.

Healing and Spell Damage were two separate stats. So leveling as a holy priest/paladin would be a suicide.
    Did that in TBC, 1-70. Fun times.
    Last edited by Pibutzki; 2014-11-21 at 06:37 PM.

Lots of nostalgia in here, and some cool stuff I didn't know!

All the stuff about feign death reminded me of how I would target my hunter buddy to heal him, if he used FD it would make him literally appear dead and it would stop me mid heal; so much rage... all the time.

Signature by Shyama!