Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not, but meh

Druids were not able to speak to NPCs in forms, it was chaged only at patch 2.0 iirc.
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekanos View Post
    The real rub was ONLY DWARVES HAD FEAR WARD and it was on a three minute cooldown, making them a requirement to do Onyxia.
    As far as I remember, the ward lasted like 3 minutes and was on a 30 second CD - which made it possible to cast it on more than one person, before the battle :-)

Speaking of priests:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before; I wont read every single post - 60 pages! ha ha

Inner fire used to buff attack power as well. I know it sounds so odd that it must be a lie - but no, not kidding you! I guess they wanted priests to...eh, hit stuff.

Shackle undead could be used on the forsaken at one point - as did all the anti undead paladin spells. They became 'humanoid' at some point. Fair enough I guess ;-)

Female Dwarf priests had a very broken polygon model. The left shoulder was considerably larger than the right. Or the right was puny - don't know which.
    When using the old priest t1 gear; which had a flap on each side, hanging down to the waist, this became even more obvious. It was a tit / waist asymmetric mess!
    I must have written over 10 petitions. Obviously not to many vocal female priests out there at this point. Took like 6 month before it got sorted! Bah!

One very commonly used tactic for 40 man bosses was for healers to - if they could - run out to a safe spot and die since that meant they could start resurrecting people. Only being hurt by splash damage, healing or hurting would raise the "in combat" flag and unable more res's.

Back when Elemental Shamans had a bit of mana issues at times while leveling; a nifty way of breaking the water shield was to put down a stoneclaw totem and let a lvl 1 critter get taunted by it. Once you removed the totem the critter would be on you instead. Hitting you for 1 dmg and thus breaking the orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Palidan View Post
    -The low level Rams/Wolves in Alterac Valley were added so lower level players who joined the battle would kill them to level and upgrade friendly troops with turn-in items.
    Its actualy not true afaik. Rams and wolves were used to summon special elite units (commonly called "riders"). To get these elite units ingame, 20 wolves needed to be tamed and 20 ram hides obtained (on horde side, aliance had to tame rams and kill wolves for hides). Old AVs werent like now, it were battles from gy to gy, so getting across the map for hides was mostly stealthers work and getting hides alone was even harder then sneaking to them, since oposite team was taming them and mostly guarding so the enemy dont get hides.
    Speaking of AV-
    - Frostwolf was the fastest tamable pet for hunters (im not sure but i would say cca 250% movement speed).
    - Back in vanilla when there was no reinforcement limit, AV battles commonly lasted 8-12hours, sometimes even more then day(s).
    - Korrak the Bloodrager, mostly know as 1 of bosses in Amphitheater of Anguish, was firstly introduced in AV, he was at midfield and realy deadly. There was even quest to kill him, however not doable in raid so while he was alive "invite for korrak" was rly frequntly yell.
    - There was also powerfull shredder unit in AV, controlable by player via http://www.wowhead.com/item=17410#comments (it wasnt rly cheap on mats back in vanilla).

Mo way I'll be reading 50+ pages to see if these things have been reported, but:

There was a way to remove the flag in WSG from the instance, making it impossible for your side to win. There used to be a few WSG servers that lasted days, and was avoided by frequent PvPers when they found it that particular one was unwinnable.

Hunters couldn't place traps in combat (as reported in the OP), but it was circumvented by FD+trap. If FD was resisted (not uncommon when there were lots of adds, like on Nefarian p1), you'd have no choice but to wait for FD to finnish its CD.

I remember telling orc tanks not to use blood fury, since iirc it also reduced the healing taken by 50%, which was a disaster when raiding.

Also, vent went crazy when rend was on a raidboss, due to the debuff slots being reserved for particular debuffs.

It was not uncommon for people to sit down during bossfights when they went oom, since it was a common missconception that sitting regened mana. It did however regen health faster.

Hunters mend pet was channeled for a very long time, iirc through all of vanilla.

It was possible to name your bear pet as a hunter to "Beer". They later fixed that, and restored the original name of the pet. I assume this worked on other pets as well.

It was possible to throw a snowball on someone on flight, and they'd be instantly teleported to where they were going.

When ZG was introduced, you could HS out with a poison and spread it to NPCs in the city. They never died from it, but spread it to any player in the vicinity. I remember insane amounts of bones all over Orgrimmar.

There's alot more, but none that I can think of at the time.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jetattack View Post
    As opposed to what people think, not epic nor legendary items are the highest ranked items in WoW, all though the highest ones still have never dropped there is a level above legendary and its called artifact. It ties in well in the lore and some GMs have had the luck to wield items like the martin thunder weapon for example. Martin Thunder has stats that are nowadays kinda obsolete but at the bottom of the tooltip is this : Use: Kills all enemies in a 30 yard radius... would be somewhat nice to have this item was removed in 3.3 but there are some others out there like alex's ring of audacity for example with Equip: Defense +1000. Consider yourself born again hardcore!
    Martin thunder was used when creating wow to see which mobs would die or just sit there at 1 health broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

BUMP! to this epic thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekanos View Post
    there is a lot of erroneous information on this list, but i would have to say the worst offender is this:

"-Priests had racial spells, but some of them were turned into baseline priest spells and some other removed. (human-desperate prayer/troll-hex of weakness/undead-devouring plague)"

The real rub was ONLY DWARVES HAD FEAR WARD and it was on a three minute cooldown, making them a requirement to do Onyxia.
    Ye thats why Horde never killed Onyxia it was just impossible without a DWARF Priest

:>

this might have been said in the last 60+ pages but....

in early TBC, engineers could use the universal remote (http://www.wowwiki.com/Gnomish_Universal_Remote) to MC paroling Fel-reavers....and kill opposing faction players with them. man that was an experience.

Deleted
    you should really put this in :

http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/05/22/bl...g-wow-to-life/

a young boy with a brain tumor got to go to the blizz development team, create a legendary item, got his char bumped to 70 ( this was in TBC ) and got the world first Pheonix mount.
    and he got to design an NPC and do voice acting for him

Completely unrelated note : There is a crypt in Badlands, which is a conan the barbarian reference as ther is one skeleton sitting on a throne, with a sword, and others around him

Dunno if it has been said already, but i remember the Dishonorable Kills. Many npc were tagged as "civilians", so killing them would result in getting dishonorable kills, thus gimping your rank in the old Honor System. They were removed with the Honor System revamp in patch 2.0
    I was pretty sure there was also a title for those with many dishonorable kills, something like "Infamous", but can't find any trace of it.
    Keep up the good work, this topic should get a sticky somewhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw some debate over priest mechanics so i want to add something on it. I am not entirely sure if these were mentioned partially or totally and neither sure all are true but here we go:

Priests were special in their own way depending on their races. For example, like someone mentioned above, dwarven priests had the fear ward ability and no other priests had that. Night elf priests had some kind of starfall skill as i remember but it was a single target ability, not like todays laser chicken's aoe stuff. Undead priests had devouring plague special to them and that made them particularly OP in many pvp situations (combined with will of forsaken) and also probably the only serious shadow candidate. I dont remember what human or troll priests had. If anyone else remember the race specific priest spells please feel free to add.

And i also strongly believe that these race specific specialities made it much more fun. Sadly blizzard homogenized priest like they did to everything in the game

Deleted
    Nice list!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    I saw some debate over priest mechanics so i want to add something on it. I am not entirely sure if these were mentioned partially or totally and neither sure all are true but here we go:

Priests were special in their own way depending on their races. For example, like someone mentioned above, dwarven priests had the fear ward ability and no other priests had that. Night elf priests had some kind of starfall skill as i remember but it was a single target ability, not like todays laser chicken's aoe stuff. Undead priests had devouring plague special to them and that made them particularly OP in many pvp situations (combined with will of forsaken) and also probably the only serious shadow candidate. I dont remember what human or troll priests had. If anyone else remember the race specific priest spells please feel free to add.

And i also strongly believe that these race specific specialities made it much more fun. Sadly blizzard homogenized priest like they did to everything in the game
    Blood elf priests had a hand of weakness ( forgot name) that did slight damage and would do a melee debuff to anyone that had hit the priest.

15+ Year Old Account
    +100 internetz
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talanaer View Post
    Blood elf priests had a hand of weakness ( forgot name) that did slight damage and would do a melee debuff to anyone that had hit the priest.
    Trolls you mean.

Human priests had desperate prayer, long before it was a talent that is.

Deleted
    Back in Vanilla you could use macros and addons to instantly shieldbash and switch back to your normal weapons without losing a global.

Anachronos is the only "boss" flagged mob in the game that has no leash effect and can be kitet around nearly anywhere (done last week, he sometimes goes evade randomly, no leash effect though http://666kb.com/i/bo1ugulaqmuu4s3f4.jpg )

In Vanilla Furywarriors could pull aggro from autoattacking a boss so they logged out and relogged resulting in an aggroreset so they could go full dps to _almost_ the end of the bossfight without worrying about aggro

The strongest NPC is a dwarf in Shadowmoon valley with 5.5 Million life at lvl72 (i think) and can hit for 11k on plate wearing lvl80 players.

I think in beta you could form raids to do elite quests (hoggar raid for quest if i recall right)

alterac valley fights before the change often went on for over a weekend (sometimes even several days up to a week). this resulted in players doing the BG quests to summon the anchient protectors (elementals) that were/are 60elite.

paladins were known as "that weak dude you have to kill 3 times before he dies" (lay on hands bubble+selfheal finaldeath)

rogues used to fear warriors >_>

mages used lvl1 frostbolts to kite warriors. the advantage was the low manacost (20mana) and the reduced casting time (the lower levels of casts actually had shorter casttimes. fireball 1.5 sec for example)

Nefarian class calls also has a Death Knight call. Why blizzard returned to an oldschool instance in WotLK is unknown.
    Pretty sure it's programmed like %c or something (as an example) where the code just prints the class of his target, they probably didn't go back and add it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheetos View Post
    Pretty sure it's programmed like %c or something (as an example) where the code just prints the class of his target, they probably didn't go back and add it in.
    Wrong, it isn't just a call, he also deathgrips everyone to him. Thus they added it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarash View Post
    Wrong, it isn't just a call, he also deathgrips everyone to him. Thus they added it.
    actually this is how frostbolt-volley could be done with only a few lines of code

pseudocode:
    #chooseplayer
    #choosecast
    #targeteverybodyinaggrolist
    #cast

Of course it could have been death n decay which would kill everybody if there were many players O.o imagine 40 dnd stacked on one place.
    they probably have added one single line after deathknights reporting him not casting anything like that while soloing him

#deathknight Death Grip

done, easy as that.

or general flag for deathknights when mobs copy skills. i think there are mobs out there that copy skills and its always deathgrip.
    ah in zulaman! i think the boss that copies skills deathgrips but im not sure. it would be a hit that classes have skills flagged that generally get copied.
    Mortal Strike, Death Grip, Hammer of Justice?
    Last edited by mmocdbbb194638; 2010-11-03 at 07:44 AM.

Wow, can't believe I actually read all of that (had to do it over several days)
    In any case, after 62 pages, all I can say is "The Ice Stone has melted!"