Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Models/Skins?

We have all seen Sylvanas, Varian and Jaina getting new models in Wotlk, which is all good. So when finally Cataclysm will launch, wouldnt it be reasonable to update the models we can actually play? They are revamping whole Azeroth in Cataclysm, they cant exclude it.
    Wow has been out for a few years now and the old graphic just doesnt match up with what we are seeing in new games. I still enjoy playing wow though, but an update with the playable models would have been awesome.

I can't remember reading anything about this subject in any blueposts, anyone out there that have heard anything?

15+ Year Old Account
    You are not going to see WoW get to many more Polygon Count increase anytime soon... doing so would probably make them loose more than 1/4th of their subscriber base cause the computer they play on can't handle the already stretch graphics...

they already have am increased Character Detail feature. feel free to use it.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Was that uninformative and anticlimactic enough? .

Those characters got a reskin and new model because they are the main lore characters. Sylvanas needed a new model because hers was wrong. It's all well thinking we need new models but I can't really think of new models for the playable races because they may not fit into WoW anymore. Updating them may make them look more realistic which isn't the look of Warcraft.

Blizzard said they wanna keep the "cartoon" look. And WoW has 11kk players around the world...imagine improving the graphic to the MW2 look....75% of the ppl would stop playing the game because their computers just cant deal with the requirements...

BETA CLUB!

Old races could still do with some treatment though, even if it's just enhanced textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Contion_BB View Post
    You are not going to see WoW get to many more Polygon Count increase anytime soon... doing so would probably make them loose more than 1/4th of their subscriber base cause the computer they play on can't handle the already stretch graphics...

Blizz has already said they would update the models, but would add an option for either updated models or old school models.
    "Blizz hates Horde, just look at AV, Racial's, and SW Harbor"

Oh yeah? Horde has a f**king Rock Band...

15+ Year Old Account
    [blizzquote author=Vaneras]Touching up some of the original models is actually something that we are giving some thought, as we would like to bring them up to par with the newer models.

Although we have no intentions to change the current proportions of the original models, it is a possibility that we will add additional polygons to improve detail levels and such.
    (Source)[/blizzquote]
    Last edited by Metian; 2010-06-27 at 06:35 PM.
    ALTF4.

15+ Year Old Account
    People who are arguing that improving character model will make people stop playing because of computer specs are bad at arguing. You do know there is an graphic option to reduce the graphic of your character? So why wouldn't it be possible to improve character model and just add another step on the character graphic slide for the improved model?

Deleted
    Blizzard should just add tesselation now that they added dx11.
    Would get rid off all model detail QQ that they look bad or my pc cant run if they improve them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    People who are arguing that improving character model will make people stop playing because of computer specs are bad at arguing. You do know there is an graphic option to reduce the graphic of your character? So why wouldn't it be possible to improve character model and just add another step on the character graphic slide for the improved model?
    I didnt say "slightly increased" graphic. I mentioned "Increased to MW2 look" would force people to stop playing...no matter how low you set your graphic, the game still has its minimum requirements which 75% of people dont have due to old computers...

BETA CLUB!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope that models are updated. New animations would be nice too. I'm tired of my dwarf warrior spinning in a circle whenever he does a special move.

I'm sure they know that eventually they will have to update all the graphics to their game if they want to keep it fresh, new, and popular. They have already said they will add an option for players so they can choose to play with all the nice updated features (like the new water engine) or turn them off so people with low end PC's can still play.
    "Blizz hates Horde, just look at AV, Racial's, and SW Harbor"

Oh yeah? Horde has a f**king Rock Band...

I wouldnt say the new models like Sylvanas and the others look realistic. They keep the cartoon look and at the same time they get a smoother surface. Would it really make a big difference running the game if all the playable models got the boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Wort View Post
    I didnt say "slightly increased" graphic. I mentioned "Increased to MW2 look" would force people to stop playing...no matter how low you set your graphic, the game still has its minimum requirements which 75% of people dont have due to old computers...
    We're not taking it to extremes. Of course it couldn't be to MW2 graphics, they would lose most of their subscribers.

The issue is, make them a bit more updated. Make them look a bit more sleek, while still maintaining the cartoon-ish look we have currently. They've shown they can do it with Varian and Sylvanas, why couldn't they do it for players?

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Contion_BB View Post

Yup, that's the same reason they decided to ultimately not update the old druid forms.

Oh, wait.

The look that WoW has now suits me just fine, the only thing that I think should be changed is a few key animations such as the human run and the way a night elf holds a 2H weapon (their wrist bends in a REALLY awkward position) but as far as a complete revamp of the models, I do not see it happening for a couple of reasons.

1) the work
    Think of how much work there would be involved in updating most models? They did a few tests with increasing polygons and in increasing the resolution (google is your friend) and they went horribly awry. To improve the models, they would have to completely remake all of the bodies and faces and get them looking exactly as they did before.

2)The dead horse of computer specs
    I know that most people play on supercomputers (I hope that my sarcasm was picked up in that) but upgrading all of the models would put a strain on 3 key parts of the typical laptop owner's computer, the video card, the hard drive, and the CPU (you could actually say that it would put a strain on everything since it would overheat easily and damage the computer even more). The option to reduce the settings would not work if the models were updated because, as I said in my last point, the old models would have to be scrapped.

3)(didn't expect a 3rd point) Functionality
    Consider how many characters you have on your screen during a raid, think of your typical lag (not very high I imagine). Now, think of what the game would be like if your key 3 computer parts had to work extra hard to bring you roughly the same frame. (many people have mild lag issues while raiding, mild can turn to major with the click of 1 button, Increase Shadow Detail). I got a little off point there, but with fewer polygons being processed, you can have more events taking place at any given time. More NPCs and spells means more technical boss fights and in general more fun than a few lousy visual effects.

Make the animations more fluid and lifelike by all means, but IMHO, the better gameplay will always outweigh the visuals (Aion anyone?)

I timed out while typing that, I hope you are happy OP...
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Yup, that's the same reason they decided to ultimately not update the old druid forms.

Oh, wait.

I lolled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    Tirion has joined the guild
    [Guild][Tirion]: /brofist
    [Guild][Bolvar]: /brofist
    Tirion has left the guild
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximen View Post
    Warriors will dead...

Quote Originally Posted by jonfauscett View Post

2)The dead horse of computer specs
    I know that most people play on supercomputers (I hope that my sarcasm was picked up in that) but upgrading all of the models would put a strain on 3 key parts of the typical laptop owner's computer, the video card, the hard drive, and the CPU (you could actually say that it would put a strain on everything since it would overheat easily and damage the computer even more). The option to reduce the settings would not work if the models were updated because, as I said in my last point, the old models would have to be scrapped.
    "3 key parts of the typical laptop owner's computer, the video card, the hard drive, and the CPU"

You have seriously no idea. The hard drive barely plays into game speed. The RAM makes a HUGE difference and you left it out.

Blizzard could also sell a cheap computer version and a beefy computer version. Hell, they could make it a download off their site. People change models and skins all the time without blizzards say so. Blizzard could easily make a patch just like it and those of us that happen to like computers can play with the hardware we purchased. Seriously, go buy some more RAM, CPU or G-Card. They are rather cheap by themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with most posts, we don't expect uber graphics for now, just updated models. I dont think it will hurt the game much. All players can play in Northrend now and the environment has lots of new models like Vyrkul. If human forms gets updated to Vyrkul (which i'd like to see most coz I hate current human form), will it make the game unbearable for pc's? I don't think so. Even Blood Elves and Dreanei has better forms comparing to olders, which causes almost no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    "3 key parts of the typical laptop owner's computer, the video card, the hard drive, and the CPU"

You have seriously no idea. The hard drive barely plays into game speed. The RAM makes a HUGE difference and you left it out.

Blizzard could also sell a cheap computer version and a beefy computer version. Hell, they could make it a download off their site. People change models and skins all the time without blizzards say so. Blizzard could easily make a patch just like it and those of us that happen to like computers can play with the hardware we purchased. Seriously, go buy some more RAM, CPU or G-Card. They are rather cheap by themselves.
    Forgive my brain fart, I did in fact mean to say ram, but I was arguing with my brother at the same time and typed the wrong thing, but on to a more important rebuttal than my short attention span, Think of the compatibility problems that there would be with 2 different versions of WoW. That is not a logical solution as much as it is a copout for lack of a better argument.

As far as the "go buy more x item" argument, not everyone has money to toss out on a new anything unless it is necessary, nor do they want to spend the time researching to find a suitable upgrade. as it stands now, WoW uses a small amount of memory compared to other games and that is one of the reasons that it is one of the most widely played games. The more people who can access a product the more of said product they can sell.

oh, and as i stated before, a game can look great and suck, just as a game can look terrible and be great.
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.