Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Night Elves and the paladin class , why is it a no go ?

i ve been wondering about this for a while. I dont understand why nelfs cant be paladins. I mean they are already familiar with the holy light, thus the night elven priesthood has the ability to use it.

Belfs became paladins by actually distorting the holy light in the begining
    (although they can be priests ...)
    on the other hand i dont understand how taurens will be able to become paladins & priests in such a sort period of time...

how could the tauren naturalists see the missing link in their balance theory while nelfs , though being familiar with both the holy light and the powers of the nature never became interested in becoming paladins

Because just as with the "THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A LICH KING" thing, Blizzard did not think this through. They are content with saying:

New changes in the world calls for new classes among the races. Which is, of course, ridiculous from a lore-point of view. Again, your arguments are valid. Night Elves would be much more suitable candidates for the paladin class, but such reason does not work on Blizzard.

I'ma go ahead and blame this on the Activision merger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Night elves worship elune, the moon godess. Tauren's worship the earthmother, which has power of the moon, and the sun (holy light). You are completely ignoring the faith aspect of the holy light, and lore wise night elf priests are priestesses of the moon. You are forgetting holy magic (in most senses, the blood elves extorting it from a Naaru is different) is no a puzzle, its a religion which requires faith to opperate. Its the same reason why humans can not be shamans, as they have no faith in the spirits.

Saying that the new classes is nonsense from a lore point of view is disingenuous. Half the new race/class combos actually exist in lore, they just weren't accessible to players for reasons only Blizzard knows. With the expansion of the old world in Cata, and with the races seeing tougher times than ever, the decision to allow, for instance, Night Elf Mages back into the fold is a simple question of survival. So yes, it fits right into lore.
    As for the Night Elf paladin question, they worship Elune, who is not a vessel of the Light. Night elf priests originally had very different spell sets from other priests. They just changed them to uniform spells to make it easier to balance.

Because night elf paladins would be the most ridiculous thing this game has ever seen. Not to mention fruity.

I would have a macro to automatically /facepalm any nelf pally I saw.

They said the reason taurens are going to be paladins is because of the argent Turrny, as you fly around there notice all the taurens, they are learning to be paladins. The Canin (or what ever his name is), decided that it would help his people.

Night Elves don't use the same "holy" powers that paladins do. They use the light of elune, so they can be preiests and use Elunes holy powers, but the "light" is not what they use for their powers.

And you think every Tauren is a naturalistic shaman or druid? Thats like saying ever chinnese person is Buddhist. They CAN convert you know.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Taurens worship the sun.
    Nightelfs the moon. The moon doesnt glow strong enough : <

Quote Originally Posted by Vodamn View Post
    Because night elf paladins would be the most ridiculous thing this game has ever seen. Not to mention fruity.

I would have a macro to automatically /facepalm any nelf pally I saw.
    because belfs arnt enough of fruitcakes?

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    Night elves worship elune, the moon godess. Tauren's worship the earthmother, which has power of the moon, and the sun (holy light). You are completely ignoring the faith aspect of the holy light, and lore wise night elf priests are priestesses of the moon. You are forgetting holy magic (in most senses, the blood elves extorting it from a Naaru is different) is no a puzzle, its a religion which requires faith to opperate. Its the same reason why humans can not be shamans, as they have no faith in the spirits.
    ^this

This. Agree.
    Also, Tauren paladin are Sun Knights. Blizzard just puts them as Paladins.
    In Stormwind...

((Proud to have participated in the Forum RP Invasion - 15/16th May 2010!))

What he said. Which then just answers the reason as to why Night Elves cannot be paladins since they do not actually follow the Light, they worship the Goddess Elune, Blizzard just didn't think it would be necessary nor reasonable to rename all Night Elf priest spells to reflect the fact that they worship Elune.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoohoodoo View Post
    i ve been wondering about this for a while. I dont understand why nelfs cant be paladins. I mean they are already familiar with the holy light, thus the night elven priesthood has the ability to use it.

Belfs became paladins by actually distorting the holy light in the begining
    (although they can be priests ...)
    on the other hand i dont understand how taurens will be able to become paladins & priests in such a sort period of time...
    how could the tauren naturalists see the missing link in their balance theory while nelfs , though being familiar with both the holy light and the powers of the nature never became interested in becoming paladins
    They have been thinking about Sunlight since that piece of lorechat in Thunderbluff was added

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idiots... Night elfs and Blood elfs are two different races. Both are elfs yes, but one harbors the night and the other magic. Night elfs have never had any paladin nor a user of light through history. Hell people who says nelfs is better then Tauren for paladins are fools. And no new changes with classes isnt a lore breaking idea, for a war that lasted 5 years there will always be a hunger for power. If you had warships and you enemy had jet fighters after 5 years would you tried to get the technology to build jets too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Checksmix View Post
    They said the reason taurens are going to be paladins is because of the argent Turrny, as you fly around there notice all the taurens, they are learning to be paladins. The Canin (or what ever his name is), decided that it would help his people.

Night Elves don't use the same "holy" powers that paladins do. They use the light of elune, so they can be preiests and use Elunes holy powers, but the "light" is not what they use for their powers.

And you think every Tauren is a naturalistic shaman or druid? Thats like saying ever chinnese person is Buddhist. They CAN convert you know.
    thats my point why cant nelfs be converted ? they abandoned the arcane magix millenia ago and became druids

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoohoodoo View Post
    I mean they are already familiar with the holy light, thus the night elven priesthood has the ability to use it.
    They do not use the holy light. WoW classes are made so that different ways of the class all reflect some different culture, shadow priests for the forsaken and Trolls, holy priest for Humans/Dwarves and discipline for Night Elves. Just as the forsaken and Trolls do not use the holy light, so don't Night Elves. They can just become holy/shadow priests because WoW classes work that way.

So Night Elves cannot use the holy light, but they could become Paladins of Elune. That could work, if Elune wasn't the most pacifistic god in existence... so no holy warriors for the Night Elves.

Any reasoning you'd make from here would make Night Elves as much ill-suited (if not worse) to be paladins than the Tauren.

15+ Year Old Account
    All races could be any class - but as a balance standpoint it wouldn´t make sense (and neither "lore"-wise to have a load classes for all races). As allready mentioned Nelfs believe in Elune and such, so the only thing that should be different for them to be complete was to make their damage spells arcane and possibly healing spells nature - but again it wouldn´t fit in the whole and would probably be a pain to program as well (you could see the priests differ at the start with racials spells).

To be a paladin you need to believe in the power of the light.

They will probably release more new race/class combos after the cataclysm release. I'd imagine seeing:

[Red = Not likely, Blue = Might happen, Green = Highest probability]

Blood Elf: Druid Why not?
    Orc: Priest Why not really? All other races have priests now
    Undead: Paladin Probably won't happen. Undead Priests use holy for game mechanics,
    and shouldn't be able to use holy spells otherwise. But lore can be mended

Night Elf: Paladin They can be priests, and it wouldn't look that bad actually. Also
    there are Night Elves paladins in game
    Worgen: Shaman They are able to play as too many classes already. Otherwise I think
    it would look good as hell. No lore support also, as far as I know about (Which isn't much)
    Gnome: Hunter Would look really weird. I don't support this. But it is possible
    Paladin If gnomes get an additional class it is Paladin. I think it could work

Rest of possible class and race combos are just wrong in my mind at least
    Last edited by Qtulu; 2010-06-18 at 06:28 PM.
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

Easy, coz the Paladin its a social holy warrior, that plays when the sun its up, and in bed when its down. And the night elf's are like a owl, playing at night time, and sleeping at day time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtulu View Post
    They will probably release more new race/class combos after the cataclysm release. I'd imagine seeing:

[Red = Not likely, Yellow = Might happen, Green = Highest probability]

Blood Elf: Druid Phail
    Orc: Priest Isnt there orc priest? D: /facepalm
    Undead: Paladin Phail

Night Elf: Paladin Phail
    Worgen: Shaman True
    Gnome: Hunter True
    PaladinPhail
    Fixed