Thread: Fire Questions

Fire Questions

I have been considering going fire for a while now and haven't found too much information regarding haste requirements. I read in various places that you want to stay around 900 haste (is this even true?) but RAWR tells me to regem all my SP haste gems to SP crit which drops me way below 900 haste. Any suggestions for gear would be nice as well, I have full access to 10H loot and 25 normal loot except for LK.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rhorn&cn=Garve

15+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure this question has been asked roughly 800 times this past week. no seriously, this EXACT same question. god i miss the search function, though it was never used even when it was around.
    BfA Beta Time

I get the searching has been disabled error.

Its not as if Fireballs dont work unless you have 900 haste.

I run with 783 haste (not that I'm proud of my terrible luck on trinket drops) and I do just fine.
    Mannoroth-US
    Deedalee - 85 Fire Mage
    All of my alts are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    pretty sure this question has been asked roughly 800 times this past week. no seriously, this EXACT same question. god i miss the search function, though it was never used even when it was around.
    Thank you for being the most useless person on the planet. Nice to see you boost your post count by posting useless comments.

To not be as useless as Swizzle; 900 haste is what you are aiming for as your cap. Anywhere near there is fine. crit is far more important than haste for fire.
    Last edited by moveth; 2010-06-18 at 07:34 PM. Reason: I dont want to be like Swizzle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    Thank you for being the most useless person on the planet. Nice to see you boost your post count by posting useless comments.

To not be as useless as Swizzle; 900 haste is what you are aiming for as your cap. Anywhere near there is fine. crit is far more important than haste for fire.
    telling someone their question has been asked 800 times already should be a hint to actually browse the forum in which they are in. just looking through them myself, i found two threads asking about the fire haste values and what they are. hell, i PERSONALLY answer the question on 06-14-2010 at 02:52 PM:

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    700-900 haste, and above 35% unbuffed crit chance with all spells or 41% unbuffed crit with fire spells, and at LEAST 2900 spellpower pre-arcane int-to-spellpower buff.
    a herp a derp derp.
    BfA Beta Time

I believe if you're min/maxing for fire ONLY, then crit is superior than haste, simply because haste becomes a derivative of crit because of the 2-piece t10 bonus (ie: a higher crit chance increases the uptime of the 2pce bonus which in turn increases the overall haste from it) and therefore crit scales better than haste.

However, the dps increase is minimal, and if for whatever reason you decide to swap back to arcane, your gem choices would then be inferior.

Your best bet is to simply gem [SP] in reds, [SP / Haste] in yellows, and [SP / Spirit] in blues, assuming you are trying to meet socket bonus requirements

the dps increase isn't quite minimal, as critting benefits more than just a single crit here or there, as it leads to more hot streak procs = more instant pyros and more 2pc t10 uptime for more casts.

Maybe point/point crit/haste is about the same, but crit scales really well and makes it worth gemming. I am about done regemming myself out of sp/haste as I have respecced to fire for almost all of the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Anobix View Post
    the dps increase isn't quite minimal, as critting benefits more than just a single crit here or there, as it leads to more hot streak procs = more instant pyros and more 2pc t10 uptime for more casts.

Maybe point/point crit/haste is about the same, but crit scales really well and makes it worth gemming. I am about done regemming myself out of sp/haste as I have respecced to fire for almost all of the fights.
    I was talking about swapping his haste gems to crit gems if he was looking to min/max for fire. I agree, as I said in my post, that crit is the better stat (vs haste) because it scales much better for fire. However, for him to regem his sp/haste gems to sp/crit gems, he would only see a minor increase in dps (50 or so haste vs 50 or so crit is not a huge deal). I said that for practical purposes for himself (as he made it seem like he wasn't sure about fire and only wanted to test it vs being arcane) he should stick with sp/haste because if he decided to go back to arcane, or swap for certain fights, it would be the better gem choice. If it's the case that he goes fire full time, then yes, sp/crit is the better gem.
    Last edited by Goliethlol; 2010-06-20 at 07:45 AM.