Page 1 of 3
LastLast

will i be able to run wow on ultra?

i had just enough with the old computer... used to run wow on ultra but after a year or two i ended up running wow on low, begging every known god above and under for 20+ fps on a boss fight like putri or other graphic intense fights..

anyways, i sent my pc for an upgrade and i was abit short on money, bot not that short... my limit was 523.90400 dollars, and for the upgrade i payed 785.85600 dollars.. yup...

here is basicly what i bought for my "new" pc:

a black vl80001w2z v3 thermaltake pc case
    12cm a.PFC litepower 600W thermaltake power supply
    p55-cd53 7.1 1glan msi motherboard
    core i5-750 2.66ghz intel proccesor+ intel fan
    ceon 2gb ddr3 1066mhz memory
    ati radeon 5770 1g-5power color graphic card

the computer will (hopefully) be ready in sunday, but im dying here trying to figure out if i could run wow on ultra seting with playable fps.. something like 60+ i hope :P

so, will my dream come true?
    Last edited by lichy; 2010-06-19 at 02:22 AM.

You will be pretty close. Only thing i recommend is that you Overclock the i5 to 3.0ghs or more. Wow loves a high clock speed. the video card is more than enough. I would also upgrave to 4gb of ram.
    Last edited by Hotsforyou; 2010-06-19 at 03:37 AM. Reason: info

well, about the 4gb thing, i wanted to have 4 gb but i was already far above my money limit... i labled it as "a small upgrade in the future" next to upgrade my monitor..

as for the 3 ghz thing.. well, can that be upgraded easily the same way in the future? and will it make my fps worse by alot?...

Quote Originally Posted by lichy View Post
    well, about the 4gb thing, i wanted to have 4 gb but i was already far above my money limit... i labled it as "a small upgrade in the future" next to upgrade my monitor..

as for the 3 ghz thing.. well, can that be upgraded easily the same way in the future? and will it make my fps worse by alot?...
    overclocking =/= upgrading
    its speeding it up

he is right tho, you will need to save a bit more first for the 4gb and a better then standard cooler for overclocking (dunno how big of a difference 13% makes, but you can never have a big enough cooler)

and that should be a pretty comfertable ultra machine

Deleted
    If your on windows 7 64 bit, upgrade to 4gb ram to make you system run generally abit faster. I run it on max settings with similar specs, my processor is only 2.5GHZ however. I wouldnt worry about overclocking, if you can get the ram upgrade (and ur os can take it)you'll be playing on max graphics on a solid 60fps. In raids on full graphics, 25mans i pull around 30 fps which imo is playable, and in 10man 60 fps.

2GB of RAM is borderline with Win7. You should definitely double it to 4BG right from the start. Windows takes bit over 1GB, WoW bit under 1GB and you'll be swapping already while Dalaran is loading making the game feel slow when zoning.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It'll run great.... 4 gigs is useless unless your running a 64 bit system (32 bit only recognizes up to 3 gigs of ram), and even then WoW will never use that much.

You'll be rockin 60 FPS with your settings maxed out.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? and what operating system.

DONT OVERCLOCK

WoW is not a demanding game... stability is way better then raw power (overclocking causes stability issues), and overclocking can be risky especially if your using stock cooling and don't know what your doing. Overclocking voids your warranties and if you mess something up you'll have to dole out the cash to replace the parts.
    Last edited by Pat1234; 2010-06-19 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1234 View Post
    It'll run great.... 4 gigs is useless unless your running a 64 bit system (32 bit only recognizes up to 3 gigs of ram), and even then WoW will never use that much.

You'll be rockin 60 FPS with your settings maxed out.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? and what operating system.

DONT OVERCLOCK

WoW is not a demanding game... stability is way better then raw power (overclocking causes stability issues), and overclocking can be risky especially if your using stock cooling and don't know what your doing. Overclocking voids your warranties and if you mess something up you'll have to dole out the cash to replace the parts.
    No he will most likely not get 60 fps in 25 mans and dalaran with settings maxed out.

and a 32 bit system will actually recognize 3.75 gigs of ram. So 4 gigs is not useless. He should go 64bit seeing as his processor is 64 bit.

Why should he not Overclock? it is perfectly safe if you have an aftermarket aircooler or watercooling. and with communities like www.overclock.net there is tons of guides and people more than willing to help someone out doing their first overclock. Ant to top it off its fun overclocking.

and as far as saying wow is not a demanding game, maybe you only have vanilla wow. WoW is extremely cpu dependant and thrives on a higher clock speed.
    Last edited by Hotsforyou; 2010-06-19 at 12:23 PM. Reason: information.

im using windows 7, not sure if its 32 or 64

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 12:23 PM ----------

and i got no idea what is the overclocking thing.. my computer knowledge is pretty limited

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 06:34 PM ----------

anyways.. basicly what your saying is all i need to upgrade is from 2gb to 4gb?... and maybe overclock to 3ghz if i see it needed, ofc.

thats some good news...

Don't Overclock. Get the 4 gigs, 32 bit OS will recognize 3.75g of ram. You will not have 60 fps in 25's but you will be able to run on ultra with shadows Off I would assume. Expect to see 20-30 fps in 25 mans on Ultra dipping down to 10-20 on ae fights.

The reason I do not recommend OC is the OP has no aftermarket cooler and 0 exp. OC'ing = bad things.

@Pat1234 you have no idea what your saying.

Eh, i kinda agree. But with great communities and a lot of research every new overclocker has to start somewhere. if you dont feel comfortable then dont OC.

yah, i won't OC... so how will i get from 10-20 fps with ae fights to 30-60 fps?

15+ Year Old Account
    faster processor
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Don't Overclock. Get the 4 gigs, 32 bit OS will recognize 3.75g of ram. You will not have 60 fps in 25's but you will be able to run on ultra with shadows Off I would assume. Expect to see 20-30 fps in 25 mans on Ultra dipping down to 10-20 on ae fights.

The reason I do not recommend OC is the OP has no aftermarket cooler and 0 exp. OC'ing = bad things.

@Pat1234 you have no idea what your saying.
    Yep, my advice to the OP is, learn how to overclock, get rid of the 32 bit os for a 64 bit os, and up the ram. Buy an aftermarket cooler. Tiger Direct has the Corsair H50 for $60 right now.

---------- Post added 06-20-2010 at 05:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    faster processor
    i5 750 is pretty damn fast lol.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

just wondering whats an aftermarket cooler, and what will it replace that i currently got?

p.s: well, its sunday.. i called the store and they said it is not ready... im nerdraging!

This is arguably the best air cooling you can get.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1212/1/

Your CPU will come with a stock cooler which is a fan and some metal coils under it which are trying to absorb and redistribute heat away from your processor. For the factory clock speeds and temperature the stock fan is fine. When you overclock you'll be running on hotter temperatures that the stock cooling system cant handle safely. The one I linked is basically top of the line for air cooling and there are much cheaper alternatives that work almost as well but I like to buy the best especially when in this case its like a $30-40.00 difference between this one and a mid ranged one. Hope this answers/helps you.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-06-20 at 12:06 PM.

sounds like i HAVE to overclock it at some point, hehe

15+ Year Old Account
    sounds like i HAVE to overclock it at some point, hehe
    Not overclocking an i5 750 is a crime against humanity. Those chips have so much power that goes to waste at factory speeds. Same with the whole Core i series, really.

getting some mixed opinions here...but two things are for sure:

1)i need to get a 4gb insted of a 2gb, an easy upgrade i was planning to do anyway when i get the extra money

2) if i don't already have windows 7 64bit i should get it. i rlly hope they will put a 64bit in the first place but i will just have to w8 and see.

i thought i need some special hardware thing for a 64 bit, not sure...

---------- Post added 06-20-2010 at 01:26 PM ----------

oh, after reading the last post again it seems another thing is for sure, i need to overclock aswell.. or els it would be a crime... i just don't wanna fuck up and destroy my new pc, which didn't even arrive yet
    Last edited by lichy; 2010-06-20 at 01:13 PM.

getting some mixed opinions here...but two things are for sure:

1)i need to get a 4gb insted of a 2gb, an easy upgrade i was planning to do anyway when i get the extra money

2) if i don't already have windows 7 64bit i should get it. i rlly hope they will put a 64bit in the first place but i will just have to w8 and see.

i thought i need some special hardware thing for a 64 bit, not sure...

---------- Post added 06-20-2010 at 01:26 PM ----------

oh, after reading the last post again it seems another thing is for sure, i need to overclock aswell.. or els it would be a crime... i just don't wanna fuck up and destroy my new pc, which didn't even arrive yet
    1.) Yes, 4gb in a 2x2gb configuration is the best practice. It will give you the best performance to dollar ratio. Anything above 4gb for gaming at this time is a waste, unless you go with a tri channel i7 setup, then best config is 6gb (3x2gb).

2.) 32 bit OS on a modern 64 bit processor is like putting $80 tires on a Corvette. Yes the 32 bit OS will see up to 3.75g of ram, but that is shared between video and system memory. So Hotsforyou was sort've wrong. So if you have a 1 gig GPU, subtract that too from the usable system memory when using a 32 bit OS. Play it safe, do the right thing, go 64 bit. You do have the right hardware for 64 bit, in fact PC's have been 64 bit ready for many many many years.

3.) Overclocking the i3, i5, and i7. It sort've is a crime to leave them at stock speeds, Intel left a ton of head room in these chips. They have thermal shut downs as well, so they won't let you as a novice destroy them unknowingly as long as you can read and pay attention/absorb what you are reading. It is not rocket science, overclocking a pc is not something you need a degree in IT or Comp Sci for either. None of us knew how to do it when we were born, but we invested about 30-45 min of our time to read a guide, and learned by hours of tweaking. What you will need is an aftermarket cooler, the stock cooler intel provides for the processor sucks, and will not suffice. Coolers run $30-$100 depending how elaborate you want to go. Good air coolers can run as said before $30-100, water cooling setups can get into the hundreds, but will perform a lot better. Corsair sells a self contained water cooling unit that performs better than any air cooler for about $60 called the H50. It does not leak, and is a 1 piece unit.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe