Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Interresting, love lore
    “The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”

Deleted
    Because the original worgen still come from a different dimension (the Emerald Dream) and fought the Lords of the Emerald Flames in the past (the Burning Legion).

This is not a retcon, it's a expansion of the previous lore.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2010-06-19 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    Please, don't scream "retcon" before seeing whe whole story. All we got so far is just a part of the explanation.

In my opinion, Finglafin's theory sounds reasonable. Thumbs up for you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kereba View Post
    That's explained a lot, but I don't know how someone could be "diseased" and turned into a Druid Shapeshifting form, but oh well!
    Thanks a lot, mate.
    Fantasy magic doesn't align with real life medicinal theory and scientific knowledge, so of course you're not going to understand how magical curses work. All of this is thought up in the heads of some lucky nerds who cook up lore as part of their job.

Given the above realization, I don't see it as a disease, but a magical curse. The druids stepped over the boundary of their natural world, and sought to shift into the form of something outside of nature, and otherworldly being that was twisted and evil. Not like a bear, or a raven, or a tree.

Because of their hubris and arrogance they were magically cursed to stay in that form forever. Arugal, being well versed in magic, found a way to transform and control the magical curse so that it could be spread amongst the human population of Glineas, most likely using the Scythe of Elune as part of his work.

It would be like a "mad scientist" finding a virus that only infects monkeys, and modifying it in a lab so that it can infect humans as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always said it. "there's no new race" just humnas who transforms

Now I think the real question becomes, Why do Worgen Druids shape-shift into Cats for dps instead of simply being a worgen? Seems odd that a cat (lion, panther, etc) would be more apt to do damage than a werewolf.

OT: Some things are good about this change in their story, but it also doesn't really clear anything up more so than the original story did.
    - Before they were beings from another dimension that got out of hand and eventually were modified into a curse.
    - Now they are Druids that had some secret order, and then the Scythe mysteriously found it's way to Arugal, but they apparently are playing dumb on the origins of the "natural" worgen (as someone above me said, druids copy naturally occurring forms).

It just seems odd that there have always been worgen around and they are such a small section (could be retcon'd) of the total Azerothian biosphere compared to other "animals".
    Quote Originally Posted by goomba
    *Hopefully is a trademark of goomba, it implies nothing, it promises nothing, but it is a glimmer of hope that the designers aren't completely moronic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by finglafin View Post
    Where does it say that there were no natural worgen? The curse begins with the druids, not the race. Druids shift to forms found in nature, there are no druid forms that are completely original. This is my own interpolation, but likely the druids contracted the curse because the worgen were not of the natural world but from another dimension, fitting in with preexisting lore.
    The original Worgen were Druids of the Scythe that followed Goldrinn, the wolf demigod. They went feral during/after fighting the Burning Legion back in the War of the Ancients and were jailed on the Emerald Nightmare.

so i'm going to try to post a timeline of sorts to ease out the confusion of this whole thing...

1. Night elven druids change into worgen. Due to the worgens violent nature, they lose their minds and become feral.
    2. Other druids put them to sleep and lock them away.
    3. Velinde starsong receives the scythe of elune and summons the worgen to fight the corruption in felwood.
    4. Arugal summons the worgen from felwood and uses them to fight the scourge.
    5. Arugal's tampering with his worgen leads to the contagious nature of the curse. At some time around this point, gilneas must have sealed itself off from the rest of the world to keep both scourge and worgen curse out.
    6. The scythe of elune is lost and ends up in a cave in duskwood. It is around this point where arugal is killed in his tower.
    7. Jitters finds the scythe and accidentally summons the worgen into duskwood, tainting the land and calling the attention of the dark riders from karazhan.
    8. Pure speculation here, but I'm betting that Arugal is raised as a shade by arthas and the worgen of duskwood must have taken the scythe to northrend.
    9. At this point after the player undergoes slaughtering a majority of the worgen in northrend, a small band must have spirited it away to gilneas in an attempt to return it to Shadowfang Keep. It appears they ended up too far south though and it is recovered by the players and used along with the night elven druids to learn how to control the curse.

that's how I see it as happening. Feel free to suggest if there is anything you see wrong with what i've put together
    Q. Why are there so few female politicians?
    A. Because it takes too long to makeup on two faces

Are the worgen from somewhere else?....Or somewhen else?!
    What happened to that? I was expecting time traveling were wolves with top hats.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Quote Originally Posted by goomba View Post
    Now I think the real question becomes, Why do Worgen Druids shape-shift into Cats for dps instead of simply being a worgen? Seems odd that a cat (lion, panther, etc) would be more apt to do damage than a werewolf.

OT: Some things are good about this change in their story, but it also doesn't really clear anything up more so than the original story did.
    - Before they were beings from another dimension that got out of hand and eventually were modified into a curse.
    - Now they are Druids that had some secret order, and then the Scythe mysteriously found it's way to Arugal, but they apparently are playing dumb on the origins of the "natural" worgen (as someone above me said, druids copy naturally occurring forms).

It just seems odd that there have always been worgen around and they are such a small section (could be retcon'd) of the total Azerothian biosphere compared to other "animals".
    The original worgen are being from another dimension, its amazing the amount of people think that is different now when nothing in this article even implies it, at all.

Its strongly suggested that shapeshifting into a being from another dimension, a possibly twisted an evil being, is not such a good thing, which is why druids just don't transform into worgen willy-nilly for the "added dps" (I love the meshing of lore and pure game mechanic terminology)

It's like mages and warlocks who play with power beyond their scope and suffer horrible consequences. Same thing with the druids of the scythe and worgen.

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    What happened to that? I was expecting time traveling were wolves with top hats.
    Now this is where the fun starts

As it turns out, the druids didn't think to turn into anthropomorphic wolves on their own, gilneans from the future travelled into the past and taught the druids how to become worgen, so that the worgen could become worgen, and then make more worgen so gilneas could become worgen in the future

It's all a giant time loop, a plot, if you will
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

I was looking for a way to tie in my future Worgen character with my druid's story. This is verrrrry interesting, I can't wait to play it and see for myself.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    It's both now, somewhere and somewhen else. An ancient feral druidic order that was jailed for 10 thousand years on the Emerald Dream.

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 02:42 PM ----------

The original worgen are being from another dimension, its amazing the amount of people think that is different now when nothing in this article even implies it, at all.
    "The Worgen curse originated from a sect of Druids who followed Goldrinn, Druids of the Scythe. They shapeshifted into the feral Worgen form and eventually lost their minds to its violent nature."

The original worgen ARE Night Elf Druids gone feral. Much like the Druids of the Claw back in Warcraft III.

For those who doesn't know who Goldrinn (AKA Lo'Gosh) is: http://www.wowwiki.com/Goldrinn
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2010-06-19 at 01:44 PM.

Something tells me that the Druid of the Scythe will come into play later on in the game, and make you wonder if the path you're on is the one you truely want to take. Maybe your character will be tempted by what the druids have to offer?

Who knows.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The original Worgen were Druids of the Scythe that followed Goldrinn, the wolf demigod. They went feral during/after fighting the Burning Legion back in the War of the Ancients and were jailed on the Emerald Nightmare.
    If you're trolling, good job.

This is the actual quote, word for word, bold for emphasis.

"The Worgen curse originated from a sect of Druids who followed Goldrinn, Druids of the Scythe. They shapeshifted into the feral Worgen form and eventually lost their minds to its violent nature. The other Druids agreed that these Worgen must be locked away, and thus put them into eternal slumber deep beneath a tree... until the day Arugal tampered with the Scythe of Elune. Freeing the Worgen unleashed the curse upon the populace and ultimately caused the situation you and your people are now in."

i'm confused. Which came first, the druids of the scythe or the summoning of the worgen from the emerald plane by the scythe?
    Q. Why are there so few female politicians?
    A. Because it takes too long to makeup on two faces

Deleted
    If you're trolling, good job.

This is the actual quote, word for word, bold for emphasis.

"The Worgen curse originated from a sect of Druids who followed Goldrinn, Druids of the Scythe. They shapeshifted into the feral Worgen form and eventually lost their minds to its violent nature. The other Druids agreed that these Worgen must be locked away, and thus put them into eternal slumber deep beneath a tree... until the day Arugal tampered with the Scythe of Elune. Freeing the Worgen unleashed the curse upon the populace and ultimately caused the situation you and your people are now in."
    Fixed. It's stated right there. A druidic order that followed the wolf demigod gone feral.

Fixed. It's stated right there. A druidic order that followed the wolf demigod gone feral.
    You got me hook, line, and sinker troll!

It says the Worgen CURSE orginated ,THE CURSE, THE CURSE, THE CURSE, NOT THE RACE, NERD RAAAGGGE!

seriously, the curse.

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skvadrin View Post
    i'm confused. Which came first, the druids of the scythe or the summoning of the worgen from the emerald plane by the scythe?
    The summoning of the worgen by the scythe happened first, knowledge of both the worgen, the artifact, and their connection would be necessary to form a cabal of druids named after the artifact who identify themselves by changing into the beings that the artifact summons, obviously.

Deleted
    You got me hook, line, and sinker troll!

It says the Worgen CURSE orginated ,THE CURSE, THE CURSE, THE CURSE, NOT THE RACE, NERD RAAAGGGE!

seriously, the curse.

Can you actually read? The curse originates FROM the druidic order that went feral. That by itself rejects the idea of an original Worgen race.

The feral Druids of the Scythe ARE the original Worgen. Just like the Druids of the Claw were feral bears in Warcraft III.

---------- Post added 06-19-2010 at 02:54 PM ----------

The summoning of the worgen by the scythe happened first, knowledge of both the worgen, the artifact, and their connection would be necessary to form a cabal of druids named after the artifact who identify themselves by changing into the beings that the artifact summons, obviously.
    No. You keep ignoring the Goldrinn, the WOLF demigod, factor here. There was no summoning or whatever in the past.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2010-06-19 at 01:54 PM.

Can you actually really? The curse originates FROM the druidic order that went feral. That by itself rejects the idea of an original Worgen race.

The feral Druids of the Scythe ARE the original Worgen. Just like the Druids of the Claw were feral bears in Warcraft III.
    This is fun.

The Human Immunodeficiency Virus originated from..

The Human race originated from..

The Worgen curse originated from...

The Worgen race originated from...

Can you spot the equivocation analogy?