Thread: Wands!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post

if you're taxing your healers with unnecessary healing on a fight that isn't a real DPS check, then you are a bad raider and are probably a tunnel vision meter padder.

It's hardly taxing if all you're soaking is pre-hots that are already on you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miniafroftw View Post
    It's hardly taxing if all you're soaking is pre-hots that are already on you.
    taking unnecessary damage to increase your DPS by 2 is quite possibly the worst idea i've ever heard.
    BfA Beta Time

taking unnecessary damage to keep your DPS from dropping by 2 is quite possibly the worst idea i've ever heard.

You still drop dps just not as much

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2089 View Post
    You still drop dps just not as much
    using your wand is a DPS increase when compared to not doing anything for the period.
    BfA Beta Time

Wands are useful for leveling, little more, as Computernerd said they're just stat sticks after you hit 80.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    taking unnecessary damage to increase your DPS by 2 is quite possibly the worst idea i've ever heard.
    Do you raid with resto druids and priests? You should have AT MINIMUM 2 hots on you at all times, regardless of if you have Unchained Magic, Chilled to the Bone or whatever on you. And believe it or not, these two hots are enough to keep you at 100% health regardless of if you have an insignificant stack of of chilled to the bone or not.

Do you raid with resto druids and priests? You should have AT MINIMUM 2 hots on you at all times, regardless of if you have Unchained Magic, Chilled to the Bone or whatever on you. And believe it or not, these two hots are enough to keep you at 100% health regardless of if you have an insignificant stack of of chilled to the bone or not.
    its just bad practice minia, the fight is designed for those players to be doing nothing, dont forget that there are many other dpsing raid members still active,
    there is not a legitimate excuse to be doing things wrong,and DEFINATLY not in heroic modes.
    This signature has been removed due to a violation of the Signatures + Avatars guidelines.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see how it's a bad practice. In fact, I tested this tonight on my alt when we did Sindragosa 10man Hardmode (Not sure if the debuff stacks faster in 25man than on 10man, it probably doesn't though) and from wanding I stacked it no higher than 3 stacks (only once) which ALMOST broke my priest shield *eyeroll*, don't worry though, the healing stream totem would have kept me up if it did, though.

Basically I'm trying to make you understand that it isn't really "unneeded damage" because a healer will go down to MAYBE 80% mana during any given P1 phase, and there is nothing to really heal in the air phase, so after a few seconds of meleeing a blocl (JoW), they go right up to 100% again.

After looking over some parses from our most recent H-Sind 25 kill (I would show you them, however, they are private, so I guess you'll have to take my word on it =/). I got Unchained Magic 4 times (before P3) and wanded for the duration of each of them. During ALL of phase 1 and 2 I took 9k damage from Chilled to the Bone (ticks averaging to be about 800 damage), and with a 72% uptime of regrowth, 57% uptime of renew, and uptimes ranging from 3-30% for various other hot effects the damage taken from Chilled to the Bone was healed instantly, in fact, the longest time I spent waiting for a healing effect to heal me after Chilled to the Bone ticked was .57 seconds.

Now, you say that PvEers are all about min/maxing, why would you not maximize your damage and minimize wasted healing? It does not make sense to me. To further prove this point, our casters (2 mages, 1 warlock, 2 priests), using our wands during Unchained Magic, shaved 14 seconds off of our kill time (I'll save the people reading the boredom of looking at a few lines of basic math).
    Last edited by Miniafroftw; 2010-06-21 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelled a word wrong =[

I would like to see that math. 14 seconds of at leeeeeeaaassttt 100k rdps is 1.4m hp. You think your wands from 5 people did that much? Shit, if your wands did a total of 300k hp I would be one surprised mage. That would be about 20k rdps, in case you don't like my arbitrary numbers. Pretty sure your raid is doing lots more than 20k.

I got Unchained Magic 4 times (before P3) and wanded for the duration of each of them.

Now, you say that PvEers are all about min/maxing, why would you not maximize your damage and minimize wasted healing? It does not make sense to me. To further prove this point, our casters (2 mages, 1 warlock, 2 priests), using our wands during Unchained Magic, shaved 14 seconds off of our kill time (I'll save the people reading the boredom of looking at a few lines of basic math).
    First of all, that math is just flat out wrong for shaving 14 seconds off your kill. I have a really big issue with people trying to make up math to back up their point. Maybe you shaved 14 seconds off your previous kill for 10 million different reasons, but no way in hell would that kill of taken 14 seconds longer if your 5 casters didn't wand.

Secondly, if you want to min/max damage in p1 you don't wand, you cast spells and move out... it isn't very hard to avoid blowing up the raid as a mage. Build up 5 stacks or so, then wand for 3-4 seconds while the duration runs out.

moving out us fine for ten man, but in 25 when the healers move out too, that's a lot of avoidable damage. my wand does about 700 dps on target dummies. I don't know how buffs would affect it, but 700 dps for the thirty seconds you have it isn't something to just ignore. how many 1% wipes have you had? that damage adds up, especially if it's casters that can wand that keep getting the debuff. it's more damage than you would be doing anyway, at the cost of healing that would have been done to you anyway. i'm not going to do it in p3, and if the healers can't keep up then stop.

To the OP:

You may have accidentally keybound your WAND in stead of keybinding your SHOOT. It can get confusing because the icon of the "SHOOT" ability changes to whatever icon your wand is... So make sure you have the "SHOOT" ability bound and not the actual WAND item... they will look the same.
    Don't ERP me bro!