Prot PVP Gearing Question

Good morning people.

Im in the process of collecting gear for my paladin, to try out Protection PVP. To this i would like some advise on how to gear.

As far as i've understood you should gear in mostly Ret Gear, while having a tanking weapon and shield?

Also i believe to have heard that i should stack block rating to some point?

Because of this i have collected "Falric's Wrist chopper" and "Neverending winter", is this a good choice? Im concerned about The weapon Relative low damage, but i cant seem to find a better weapon with block rating, and as far as i can tell from wowhead, such one doesn't exist.

Another thing im concerned about, is the survivability, would i have enough survivability through being prot specced, or should some of the ret gear be pvp?

Thank you people, it is highly Appreciated.

Ps. English is not my native language, and i believe there may be some mistakes, but i hope you are able to understand me

Your english is great! Haha,
    But all aside for PRET yes, you do want to stack with the best Ret PvP gear you can get, still stacking all STRENGTH gems, and having the weapon/shield as well. Although the weapon and shield you are talking about it decent you would definately want to favor actual PvP weapon/shield with Arena Points I suggest maybe if you have a decent PvP'er friend to help carrry you through Arena to get the shield, I've carried multiple people on my Arms warrior before. Basically there is a thread on the WoW US forums--> http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...73754575&sid=1 should explain some stuff for you read through it for some advice, I'm not expert for Prot PvP as I only dabble with Holy to be honest, and I don't like to PvP on my paladin much. Hope that thread helps!

Ugh... your advice is just, well not good AT ALL.

Ill keep it simple 4 piece pvp ret , pve gloves, pve shield, slow 1h dps weapon, pref with crit and hit, NO ARP, pve/pvp offpieces, basically just make sure u hit about 700 resi, after that your talents should be enough, then stack through the pve pieces 5% hit, and go nuts on Strenght.

to ammor: not sure if the pvp shield is really the best you can get for protribution. i have Neverending Winter and Icecrown Glacial Wall but i cant see a good reason to get the pvp shield if you can get any tank-shield from icc. you get 60sta more than on the other shields (buffed ~1k hp) but therefor you lose 80-90str and other defensive stats (def rating still nice for AD procs).

Glacial Wall also gives you a nice boost to ShotR with 147BV. if thats out of reach for you atm, try to find groups with a Kingslayer and do Gunship HM for the HM shield from there.

TL, DR: pvp shields arent that good for prot palas.

i still dont know which weapon i should choose for my prot pvp pala. i have 2 tankweapons from ICC (Facelifter and the Bonebreaker Scepter) which have better dps than the weapons i could get from Pit or HoR (and they have also str on them). most ppl say that the low speed is a problem for pvp because of the burst but afaik HotR dmg is based on weapon dps and not on min/max dmg of the weapon. a fast weapon also allows me to stack my SoV a lot faster (after 5 stacks additional holy dmg is done with every hit).

am i missing a crucial point why a non-tank weapon with 2.6 is better than a tank weapon with 1.6, str and defense stats on it? (the ap, crit, arp or something cant be a reason)

unless you plan on doing arenas... it's not worth it. I do PvP in all PVE prot gear in BGs and Wintergrasp and it's just fine... i have so much health that i dont need the resil.

but in Arena where people focus and burn, you need the extra crit and burst. Then the pvp ret gear will help you.

Deleted
    About shield - i use caster shield with crit and resil. In comparision with tanking one, u have str vs crit in offensive stats, ofc there is more str and its more valuable.
    But u also got int (more mana and more DP regen) and resil for more survival.

And no, prot isn't unkillable. I play prot in 2v2 with 700 resil bu 925 in 3v3 with warr/druid, because of casters - for them there isn't really big difference prot/ret while bursting.
    First shield im going to change is Bqueen heroic 277 shield.

1. If it doesn't have strength on it...don't wear it (weapon/trninkets are the only exceptions)
    2. Slow dps weapon (2.6 speed or slower...top end damage is your friend)
    3. Get all of your hit rating from pve rings/neck/cape (or bracers and belt if needed)
    4. Fill the rest of your gear in with ret pvp gear gemmed for strength
    5. Whatever shield can give you the most strength, use it. (block VALUE is a plus)

I have made several posts on this topic in the past, but the search feature doesn't work so I couldn't find them.

Well I actually have a friend who's pretty good a PRET PvP and he was giving me this advice. He aswell is decent as I a Screenshot of him 2v1'ing a Priest and Rogue lol, ranked match as well 2k+. But his advice and gearing is a little more to survivablitiy and the CC'ing a Pret can do is pretty good a well. The Prot PvP shield and Weapon is made for Arena, if your going o Lol in BG's go for it its what I do in my PvE ret gear, although my friend is now finished with his MS set for Arms so now I may switch to Holy PvP again to do 2's.

TL;DR Arena'ing if its your focus go for the PvP ret gear + PVP Shield+Weapon for Max Performance in Arena,if not you can easily run around in PvE gear and get raped by casters like I do if I switch to my PvE Prot Gear.

Its about survivability more, PRets don't burst as well as an actual Ret Spec'd paladin so you have a less time to just rape someone, thats where your gonna want some more survivability. Although that may be just a preference with my friend.
    Last edited by ammor; 2010-06-24 at 08:18 AM.

Your gearing will depend a lot on your bracket, team composition, and access to gear. The PvP shield is probably the first item you'll want to replace, but only if you're able to acquire one with strong stats (strength and block value). After that, it's just a matter of swapping PvE pieces in until you feel comfortable with your survivability. Most of the Prets on TR that I came across were playing DPriest, RSham, Pret or DPriest, Hunter, Pret. If you're in one of those comps or playing 2v2, 2pc T10 is something worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by ammor View Post
    Its about survivability more, PRets don't burst as well as an actual Ret Spec'd paladin so you have a less time to just rape someone, thats where your gonna want some more survivability. Although that may be just a preference with my friend.
    I actually tend to struggle with Pret burst more while playing my Priest. A six-second HoJ into an Avenger's Shield spikes me hard twice per minute and can easily result in death without a cooldown or serious peels from my partner.