World PvP against a Lock

So I was questing earlier today in Netherstorm. My new Paladin is level 68 and I'm enjoying playing one. I don't PvP much, but occasionally jump into a world PvP battle if I see someone getting ganked or something along those lines. Anyway, i was raped beyond repair today. Seriously, this lock took my dignity, dry humped it, insulted my mother, and all while killing me before I could even get a swing in against her.

I see this warrior questing and he gets ganked by this warlock. I decide to run over and try and help out, but before I can even get in range to judge the lock, I'm feared, dotted, and then feared again. I bubbled at about 15%, healed up, and started to run over to her. Before I get close enough however my bubble is down, I'm death coiled, and feared a third time, this time for good.

I was dead before I could attack the lock once.

Any advice? Yes, I know L2P, that's why I'm here asking questions.

15+ Year Old Account
    ever heard about scissors > paper > rock > scissors?
    1vs1 is all about it. And you're the paper while the lock's the scissors. Especially in lowlvl pvp.

15+ Year Old Account
    Run away. Seriously- Warlocks, Hunters, Mages, and Healers all have hard counters against us.

That's why I love my DK, feared, trinket anti magic shell, bam, lock dead. But ye paladins have serious problems against ranged classes... especially locks... so just run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well assuming the lock does not have resilience you best bet is to jump them & catch them in a stun pop wings and burn them down, this is true for anything that can dps at a range or heal really. Once they get around 800+ resilience however you will almost never beat a warlock, mage, hunter, or healer 1v1 because of how hard they counter us & if you do its because of a lack of skill on their side.

Hopefully this will change in cataclysm since they are taking away allot of ret's defensive utility they should end up giving us offensive utility like an actual gap closer, interrupt and possibly even some sort of overpower effect (it was designed for us first after all) until then however ambush and hoping for lack of skill/resilience on their end is your best friend.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

I got a strat that will help you piss in a warlocks Cheerios, Pop your bubble at the start. It throws the warlock into OH SHIT mode. Try can close the gap with repentence, then HoJ. Then DPS your little heart out. At lvl 68 a lock shouldn't have to much HP. It works when I use to do it.

Oh and make sure when your up on him/her/shim jump around and try to get behind him/her/shim while they are casting. It will cancel the spell sometimes.
    Last edited by Foamybeers; 2010-06-21 at 10:07 PM.

Just as he gets a full line of dots on you, bubble. Stick on him doing damage for the duration of the bubble. Then stun and dps your heart out. Repent his next cast of fear...dps...trinket the next fear...dps. Pray.

Stun, use wings and have a trinket ready for the first fear.
    After that pray to god he doesn't have resilience.
    Though tbh you shouldn't be defending warriors who dont know how to use berserker rage.

If you pvp as ret just wait for cata where rated bg's will give you the tools from teamates to be viable. Ret is a monster vs melee and awful vs ranged. You catch the warrior running from you and you hope the mage doesnt get you in sheep while your running away. Thats ret pvp right now.

What spec is this warlock?

Yah I have an alt pally whom i never play but I did use to beat baddies lvling. Against locks I saved rep and stun to interrupt fears and once i got to them they went down pretty fast. Of course this was all lvling and they had no resilience and all that stuff.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

welcome to ret pvp, if it's a ranged class run... if it's a healer run... if it's a tank run... if it's a little girl in a pink dress and yellow bow ties in her hair... run...
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a rogue, beat the living piss out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlyskilled View Post
    If it's a rogue, beat the living piss out of it.
    still gotta run away from the little girl in a pink dress with yellow bow ties in her hair, for all we know she could have a mana bar and we'd be really screwed.

so essentially ret pvp is: does it have a mana bar... yes, then run away.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

The cool thing is that most people who level a char don't know how to pvp
    Against a lock I'd mount in. Don't give him time to spot you till you're on him, this often forces a death coil.
    If he does that, DoTs you and then fears: bubble and nuke him while you're immune (you want the fear to hit to get that DR rolling). If he has a fel hunter turn evil it because you want to stun as soon as bubble runs out and he can free himself with it.

If you cannot mount or he spots you first, try to wait for a fear cast and then interrupt it with repentance.
    Though this isn't advisable as you might need it to get that last fear before he dies (wait for your hard hitters to come off CD before you break it). He won't have portal so as long as he doesn't fear you you can stomp his ass

Locks are nasty at low level pvp though. Get feared once and you're a dead man >_<

edit:
    I'm a big fan of world pvp while leveling and I try to kill anything on my path, even skull levels if I can tell they're only 5 or so levels above me.
    If you meet a counter to your class just try and outplay them. Use mounts to optimal use to get close as a melee class and see if there's places you can use to LoS and heal.
    Last edited by MestHoop; 2010-06-24 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    The cool thing is that most people who level a char don't know how to pvp

edit:
    I'm a big fan of world pvp while leveling and I try to kill anything on my path, even skull levels if I can tell they're only 5 or so levels above me.
    If you meet a counter to your class just try and outplay them. Use mounts to optimal use to get close as a melee class and see if there's places you can use to LoS and heal.
    I loled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarantism View Post
    I loled.
    I actually don't know why I said it like that XD

Deleted
    Concerning low-lvl locks:
    Most of them are still learning their class, and neither have an insignia equipped nor have any clue what's at your disposal despite lolbubble. So even though he might have activated soul link, your probably gonna be able to kill him in one HoJ. In Addition, having the first hit is so strong in low-lvl pvp, since everyone has next to no defense but big nukes, so don't get jumped by him and you should be fine. Turning evil his pet is also a good idea whenever possible, especially against a succubus and if you expect a seduce or spell lock, just holy wrath the pet before fearing. Most low-locks run around with fel guard (freedom that stun, fear to avoid petdmg if necessary) or voidwalker, but the sacrifice isn't gonna save him. Having bubble of cd helps a lot, don't eat full fear (bubble, stun, repent) because you don't want him to gain range. He doesn't have teleport, you don't have sacred shield, yet. Just end him quickly.

lvl 80 Lock:
    Don't have all cds rdy? Don't even think about it. He has equal/better gear(and or skill): ur prolly gonna die.

€dit: Forgot to mention: Use bubble to remove a full row of dots and to break 1st fear maybe, but in any case use it offensively at about 75% hp running towards him. If you use it at 15% and have to heal yourself, he gains range and freecasts, you loose. Also: shadow resistance aura and Seal of Righteousness, should use that anyways but since I see most rets running around with Command, thought I'd mention it. JoR hits like a truck, SoC is for instances _only_! (Not talking about cleave arena setups here, remember that. In addition, his crit is nowhere near a mark where SoC's ability to crit makes up for the Judgement, which hits like a wet noodle.)
    Last edited by mmocea490e6ad4; 2010-06-24 at 09:07 AM.

Oh god, that makes me wanna play my Lock again

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    Run away. Seriously- Warlocks, Hunters, Mages, and Healers all have hard counters against us.
    Pretty much this. I'd still try just because they may be bad in which case you can just stomp them, but if they have most of a brain you won't stand much chance. Cata can't come soon enough.

---------- Post added 2010-06-27 at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Akhom View Post
    Also: shadow resistance aura and Seal of Righteousness, should use that anyways but since I see most rets running around with Command, thought I'd mention it. JoR hits like a truck, SoC is for instances _only_! (Not talking about cleave arena setups here, remember that. In addition, his crit is nowhere near a mark where SoC's ability to crit makes up for the Judgement, which hits like a wet noodle.)
    You forgot to mention if you're going to use SoR (and you absolutely should for PvP at level 80) to talent Seals of the Pure in the holy tree.
    R.I.P Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010