Haste Diminishing Returns

Apologies if this has been covered.

At what point for an elemental shaman does SP+Haste start being less beneficial to gem than Straight SP?

Is there a "magic number" of haste to attain in order to "cap"?

when your lightning bolt will be 1sec cast without bl you will have no more benefit from haste :P
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

FAQ for shamans is very good, i would generally read that before you post a already answered question.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    when your lightning bolt will be 1sec cast without bl you will have no more benefit from haste :P
    Wrong.

Now that Flame Shock scales with haste, there is no achievable point where haste devalues much from where it is right now. There are still advantages to having more haste after LB hits 1sec.

TL;DR - Keep gearing Hit (till cap) > SP > Haste > Crit

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one hope the OP is already gemming straight SP except for yellow sockets (of +5 sp socket bonus or more) and 2 blues for meta...as his post implies he's stacking hast/sp gems. Otherwise, /agree with the post above me, your stat weights will remain sp>haste>crit until unachievable levels of haste (single target of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Oscooter View Post
    Wrong.

Now that Flame Shock scales with haste, there is no achievable point where haste devalues much from where it is right now. There are still advantages to having more haste after LB hits 1sec.

TL;DR - Keep gearing Hit (till cap) > SP > Haste > Crit
    i belive flame shock will be capped at that haste level but nvm
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flame shock never "caps" it just ticks faster and faster as its duration approaches zero. I guess if you had infinite haste you'd cast flame shock and then your target would immediately take all of the DoT component's damage instantlu and simultaneously, if you want to look at it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    i belive flame shock will be capped at that haste level but nvm
    Some people consider the point at which Lightning Bolt hits this GCD cap – which is 100% total haste – a “hard cap“.

Though Flame Shock continues scaling with haste beyond this point I’m prepared to accept this definition, and thus I’ll adopt the 50% haste value as the “soft cap“.
    * At 50% total haste, Chain Lightning, Lava Burst and our instant cast spells reach their minimum effective cast time. This doesn’t have any serious effect on either our DPS or our stat priorities.

* At 100% total haste, the only spell which keeps effectively scaling with haste is Flame Shock’s damage over time component – but this is unreachable under normal conditions and isn’t really a problem if we encounter it for 40 seconds of Bloodlust.

* More haste always equals more DPS. Always.
    http://wowhats.wordpress.com/2010/04...nd-relativity/