Frost DW Question

Pretty simple question, should I go for arm pen or crit on my DW dps dk?

i don't know to what you have actually access to. but expecting you are raiding with it, you don't have to "go for" arm-pen. both the tierset and many off pieces have arm-pen. (4 pcs T10 + DBW, brings you nearly to the softcap).
    the most useless invention in history? A Graveyard wall!
    no one on the inside is able to walk out and
    no one on the outside wants to get in willingly

What do you mean by 'go for?' At extremely high gear levels Frost can gem ArP for an increase and until then you can use Str/Crit or Str/Haste gems for your yellow sockets. Gear with ArP should be your priority though.

I see this Arp question come up on multiple forums. Honestly, I'm not which way to think anymore. My understanding was that the arp on our gear was all we really should be after, seeing as Arp doesn't effect our diseases, frost strike or howling blast. Granted, as DW frost, the vast majority of your damage should be Melee > Obliterate > Frost Strike on most fights. So where as it looks like a really attractive stat, as Scudamore said, you need to be in TOP tier gear to really make use of it. My DK is pretty much in (if there is really such a thing) BiS 10man gear, with a couple of exceptions, and I don't think I'm anywhere near geared enough to start gemming Arp.

I hate to simply reiterate what every else says, but... sim it. That's (basically) the only way to determine which is better for you. My DK is all gemmed Strength currently, in 25m/25H gear. I simmed my character with all ArP, and it showed that it was an 11DPS increase(0.0001%!). So, onbiously, my gear isn't good enough yet for ArP gemming.

TL;DR: Sim it.

Gear: Get items w/ ArP while still maintaining your proper hit/exp caps.

Gems: If you have to ask, use strength gems. In all seriousness, you need to be in BIS 25m H to make gemming ArP better than gemming Str.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadamon View Post
    (4 pcs T10 + DBW, brings you nearly to the softcap).
    WTF are you talking about softcapping ArP for? There are no currently relevant ArP proc trinkets to make a softcap/harpcap distinction anymore.
    Last edited by Wingwraith; 2010-06-22 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

I gem ArP in 264 gear. I'm at 86% passive ArP right now and really happy with it. About 68-70% of my attacks is physical (more on gimmick fights like BQL as physical attacks can crit but diseases cant). Also with hysteria available (and granted its going to you) you'll profit alot from ArP.

The advantage of ArP is the high burst potential when diseases dont have time to tick their full duration (Valkyrs, Putricide, Valithria, Lady DW, Marrowgar)

Almost 40k Obliterate crits are just too sweet and you're still more than well.

Can also support WoL logs to support my opinion.
    Armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ight&cn=Halorm
    "Sir, we are surrounded, Sir"
    "Excellent, we can attack in every direction"

1 sim it
    2 Fc - 15% str
    3 UBA - 10% str
    End result : STR
    Now this is in the world of gems. Expertise and hit cap are vital of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ruke View Post
    The advantage of ArP is the high burst potential when diseases dont have time to tick their full duration (Valkyrs, Putricide, Valithria, Lady DW, Marrowgar)
    You've lowered you sustained single target dps and your AOE potential in favor of increased burst. Good for some fights, bad for others.
    Last edited by Wingwraith; 2010-06-22 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by ruke View Post
    I gem ArP in 264 gear. I'm at 86% passive ArP right now and really happy with it. About 68-70% of my attacks is physical (more on gimmick fights like BQL as physical attacks can crit but diseases cant). Also with hysteria available (and granted its going to you) you'll profit alot from ArP.

Almost 40k Obliterate crits are just too sweet and you're still more than well.

Can also support WoL logs to support my opinion.
    Armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ight&cn=Halorm
    You'd do more DPS with Str gems and your current gear. 12.5k is not good for your gear.

Go for strength, till you have around 1000arp from gear, most of the time at that point running full arp-gems is better than strength. Do note, your aoe dmg WILL plummet, but your singletarget dmg will rise. Also, what do you mean by "go for"? Do you mean gear itself of gemming?

If gemming, go strength till you get an obscene amount of arp by your gear alone.

If gear, try to get arp+crit based gear, while keeping your caps up..

In the end.. Sim it, Kahorie's is AWEsome.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need to ask, stick with strength.

Until Ruby Sanctum is released, it is not possible to get 1000 ArP from gear unless you give up hit and expertise. 900 is a more reasonable goal. Basically, you want to be able to get 1300-1400 after buffs (ArP food etc). Of course you will see a gain before that, but it isn't significant enough to justify re-gemming in my opinion.