Thread: Realm queues

15+ Year Old Account

Realm queues

Do you guys remember the days of realm queues? We used to have to log our toon early and take them over to Onyxia's lair so that when it was time to form the raid we could account for queue times and continent crashes. Crazy times.

I was reminded of queue times after reading this in the recent J. Allen Brack interview:
    That encapsulated the first year really well -- we had problems with realm infrastructure, problems with queues -- but once you got in, it was fantastic.
    Had totally forgotten about queue times! Now the biggest wait is for the dungeon finder to pop.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when Vanilla WoW and nostalgia weren't synonymous?
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Do you remember right when wotlk came out? Ques were super long. I suspect the same for cataclysm.

/brofist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    okay, i'm going to try a crazy new theory: i'm going to take my pants off and type this in the nude (shirts are for pussies in the first place). i will also type it slowly and in full capitalized letters so those with impaired vision can see it (though it will not be in caps, since i hold down the shift key HA).

on our old realm we had qs every content patch (and quite hefty one if i might add)
    It got to the point that 20% of the server took the free transfer at once because it got unplayable.

So, no qs are not a thing of the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Yeah, I remember them. We experienced them again when WotLK was released, and again when Ulduar was released, and again when ICC was released.

Shh. I'm invisible.
    10+ Year Old Account
    i remember a two and a half hour queue on Suramar then right after getting in the realm crashed

Well, they sill exist, as others have pointed out, and you'll be revisting these wonderful days of realm queues before long. Neither of the realms I play on have had a queue (that I'm aware of anyways) since the first week or so of the launch of Wotlk. I expect we shall be seeing them again in Cata...the trick is to stay afk in game instead of logging out as much as you can.

It still happens on my server for the first couple weeks after any major content patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god Frostmourne in Vanilla, 1000-2000 person queues...

Queues still come out with large content patchs, but they are nothing like they used to be. I remember sitting in queues every tuesday on my server for month after month. Now I haven't seen a queue since ICC came out.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Boy aren't I lucky to be playing on a dying server!
    Wait...
    O....
    Darn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen any login queues since early TBC, not even when WotLK was released...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mannoroth in BC once had a 2k person queue :X
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get a server que if I don't login to my realm before 9pm server time. :l

10+ Year Old Account
    We had ques in Naxx, Uld, and ICC. They have split my poor server so many times.

We also had server crashes through all 3 peak times too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shruikah View Post
    Oh god Frostmourne in Vanilla, 1000-2000 person queues...
    The reason for that is because Frostmourne was the first Oceanic realm. I never switched off Proudmoore because we have always had a good mix between American and Australasian timezone players. But of course we have had our fair share of queues in the past.

The WotLK launch was much smoother than TBC. The traffic when the first expansion came out was so insane you could hardly make any progress. Everything in a zone was lagged out and all the mobs were constantly dead.

I expect there to be a revisiting of queue times come Cata. All the more reason to chill for a few days and jump in during its second week after release (yeah right; even as a casual player I'm not sure that much patience is humanly possible). But things will be a heck of a lot more stable this third time around.

I'm surprised that people have increased traffic after content patches. Surely most realms wouldn't see that many players come back to check out what's new?

Queue times and broken mods. Minor inconveniences in the scope of what we get.
    For the Alliance!

i play on reasonably populated servers, and even on WotLK launch day, I experienced no queues. (I believe I may have hit queues a day or so later, but they were insubstantial, and over in a minute or two).