Thread: Help me!! @_@

Deleted

Help me!! @_@

Hey, i went with a generic title so people would read it, no matter what... clever, no?

Anyway, i'm buying a new computer with some money and i'm acquiring and i need it to play WoW! Now i don't need it to be ground-breaking or anything, i just need a nice steady FPS about 25-30 in a 10m raid, hopefully more on medium -> high settings!

I'm looking at http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent...39215-pdt.html currently, but i'm not entirely sure it'd work for what i need.

Ok, basically, my budget is VERY low, £300 about. So yeah, not much to work with, but i wanna see what you magicians can do for me? TY

Note: I know this might be in the wrong forum, just couldn't find anywhere to post it :S

You might try posting this in the Computer forums. There are also some stickies there with advice on what to get.

Deleted
    I'll go check the stickies now, ty ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ibuypower.com/

i've seen some cheap ones on there, but i don't know what 300 euros are in US Dollars.

hope i helped.

As long as you don't run into any problems with bad refurbished parts or anything the one you linked has pretty respectable stats to at least be able to play at a decent level. You may want to pick up a video card to replace the onboard graphics but other than that its not bad for your budget

Okay, so, that's about 350 USD, which, won't get you much, sadly. See if you can find yourself something with a better video card than an "Intel GMA". You're looking for something either with just about any nVidia and ATI card. An Intel GMA will get you like <20 FPS in a 10 man, on lowest settings. Unless I'm mistaken and they've actually made them vastly better in the last 6 months.

Or what Tsudots said, you're still looking at putting out another 40 - 60$ (counting USD< but i would guess about the same in Euro) for a better video card. without knowing any stores or anything where you're at, i can't suggest those, but i could point you in a decent direction.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102829

Is something similar to a video card that'll get you realistically in the area you've described. I'm sure a bit lower or higher depending on what you want to spend/can find will be just as good. If you're at a local computer shop and give them the specs, they should be able to find you something similar.
    Last edited by Maleia; 2010-06-22 at 08:26 PM.

If you want a computer that will run WoW decently and is cheap, build it. The one you linked doesn't have information on its video card, so chances are, its on-board and total crap. I live in Canada so I use www.ncix.com, not sure how many people from the US use it, but its definitely one of the best stores for computers. Try posting on there forum, chances are you'll get more info from them, and they'll help you pick parts. NCIX will put it together for $50.

Deleted
    by the way, i'm from the EU ^^ hence why i said my budget in pounds, not dollars Anyone know any EU sites? :P

TBH, you're prolly better off posting asking for help on the EU-wow forums, than here, but eh.

And sorry, i converted to Euros, not pounds. But that still sounds like it'd be about 350 USD budget, which isn't much. I'm guessing it'll get you about the same computer anywhere, once you count the conversion.

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 08:31 PM ----------

Just curious, would you be able to tell us what you're running on now? Could prolly give you an idea of what to expect as far as differences.

my advice would be to wait for cata or at least for beta (+ get more cash),hard to say how much performance you will need,since Blizz want to update game graphics.
    one sure thing is that model you posted uses mainboard graphics,same way cheap notebooks do and that is not enough for WoW
    otherwise you could buy an already used pc for same money
    Last edited by Kaynot; 2010-06-22 at 08:40 PM.
    a cash cow is well established brand, business unit, product, or service, that generates a large, regular, predictable, and positive cash flow. Cash cows are often 'milked' for developing, promoting, or supporting new or struggling counterparts.

Signs of a cash cow

* Product variations
    * Customer segmentation
    * Pricing flexibility
    * Cost reduction
    * Targets specific competitor

Deleted
    I am using... http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/elect...ellite%26quot;

Not very helpful i know, but it wasn't bought by me ¬¬ Shockingly, on lowest settings, i get 15 fps in 10m

15+ Year Old Account
    Try ebuyer, can get some nice bargains

www dot ebuyer dot com/product/182592

low post count so im not allowed to post proper links

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexisle View Post
    Try ebuyer, can get some nice bargains

www.ebuyer.com/product/182592

low post count so im not allowed to post proper links
    Looking good mate, can you tell me how many FPS i'd get on that at all low, medium and high settings respectively, let's say we're setting a 10m raid benchmark
    Last edited by mmoc3572bbcdc6; 2010-06-22 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Changed to proper URL

the eMachine has a better video card, but seriously lacking in the CPU (compared to the computer you posted). And to be honest, you're not looking about much better performance out of either computer over your current one. The link you provided for your laptop lacks a model/series number, like saying "Toshiba Satellite 3000" or something. That's prolly written on the top of your case, any chance you have that?

Deleted
    Satellite L350, i think :S well that's what it says on the bottom ^^ But if it's equal performance, i'll buy it and upgrade when i hve more cash ^^

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 10:10 PM ----------

OK, i think I'm going to put together the following build;
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-TFT-MONITOR...#ht_3319wt_911
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182592
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WG11.../dp/B0002LHX8O

I need a cheap monitor, the computer looks sound and i need a quality Wireless Adaptor I'm currently using a netgear wireless router/modem, so i guess a Netgear Adaptor would work seamlessly!!

As long as this build gives equal performance to my current Toshiba Satellite L350, and is reasonably, upgradable, it's perfect!!

This comes to £329.60, which, is -slightly- over budget, but it's nothing i can't stretch to ^^ Thanks guys

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196381

would be a better choice, from that same site. although there's no monitor/keyboard/etc. But then it's also down to 1gig ram, so you'd need to get that upgraded.

I'd personally suggest at this point for you, either a local computer shop, or someplace you can customize (like a manufacture, i.e. Dell, Toshiba, Acer, Sony, etc) and buy direct.

I'll give you a generic list of stats if you want to take to a shop, give them the list they should be able to get you something close for that price.

AMD Athlon or Intel Pentium (dual cores)
    2 - 3 gigs DDR2 Ram
    nVidia 9xxx or ATI HD 4xxx
    120+ gigs Hard Drive

Sadly, you're not really going to find it looks like, the computer with the parts you need, unless you know of some other places. Of course the other option is buying one of those, then putting up another 30-50 to get it 'upgraded' with the necessities. If you feel like doing it yourself, shouldn't be that much, otherwise local shop. idk how it is there, but in the US, it can be anywhere from 50 - 75/hour. Either of those computers listed though shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to get upgraded at a shop.

Also, the lack of a video card is holding you back in your laptop, tbh, if you bought the first computer as it is, you might even notice a decrease in performance between it an your laptop.

There's also the option of just waiting it out for Cata, but i wouldn't hold your breath too long on that, I highly doubt cata's any time soon like the hype surrounding it suggests. But hey, it's a gamble, right?

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 09:16 PM ----------

I'd suggest the Acer I listed, it has more, better parts, and then spend the remaining in price on some extra ram at a shop.

Also it doesn't matter what brand to what brand for wireless cards/adapters you use, I only say that if there's a cheaper option available to you.

Deleted
    So, what your saying is; the first one is much worse, don't do it. The 2nd one is reasonable, if you're going to pay to get it upgraded in the future (which i will by the time Cata comes out )

I'm checking the one you linked atm ^^

---------- Post added 06-22-2010 at 10:18 PM ----------

OK, so the one you linked to me > the one Hex linked > My initial choice??? If so, i'll pick the best one, cos it's also cheapest!!! ty so much for your help btw

Well, to put it as simply as i can:

the eMachines has a lower end CPU and Graphics card (which is intergrated more than likely)

the Acer has a decent CPU and Graphics, but is lacking in ram.

The cost of upgrading the ram now or later, is going to run you, gosh, 30-50 pounds, just guessing.

The cost to upgrade the CPU and graphics (this is assuming the eMachinces has an expansion slot, it might not) will almost run you 125-150 pounds. (if it doesn't have an expansion slot, you might as well buy a new computer).

Also eMachines are notoriously bad. Acer has a pretty average reputation.

Deleted
    Awesome, ACER it is, i used an Acer laptop bout 5 years back, and it served me well So yeah, ty

Also, saved me £30 love it
    Last edited by mmoc3572bbcdc6; 2010-06-22 at 09:24 PM.