Thread: Dk dps

Dk dps

To be frank, My dps sucks. In ICC10 I'm pulling about 7-8k dps in full 251 gear{with a couple 264 pieces}. I'm not exactly sure *what* i'm doing wrong, so I was wondering- What mistakes do you guys generally do when you're dpsing? Do you find that Unholy or Frost is better at that gear level?

My warlock in almost completely similiar gear is pushing 11k.

Am I just doing DK bad? Or does DK just scale really well, and I need better gear to flourish?

Armoury would help a lot.
    Prophecy are recruiting! Visit our website at http://warcraft-prophecy.net/ to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarkanDK View Post
    Armoury would help a lot.
    Armory is down, but the character name is "Yuyuko"

What server are you on?

Need a spec too. Along with enchants on the gear and profs.

Also is your warlock in 4pc t10?

Quote Originally Posted by Sivnet View Post
    Need a spec too. Along with enchants on the gear and profs.

Also is your warlock in 4pc t10?
    Not yet, Should be getting it this week.
    http://www.chardev.org/?profile=424709 Updated.

According to my spreadsheet, the Token + 264 chest was a larger upgrade then 4pc t10, incase you were wondering. {The token ALONE was a larger upgrade then BOTH of the T10 pieces}
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2010-06-22 at 02:31 PM.

First off, you might want to rethink your meta. Something like Chaotic Skyflare Diamond would raise your DPS higher than Agility. Also, your boots can benefit from something other than Stamina, probably put Enchant Boots- Greater Assault for AP or Enchant Boots- Icewalker for Hit and Crit.

You have 2 pieces of T10, so you'll want to spec into Reaping for more SS hits. Here's the spec;

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jfVMMZ...ux0uIqo:bsL0mV

Hope I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotzy View Post
    First off, you might want to rethink your meta. Something like [ would raise your DPS higher than Agility. Also, your boots can benefit from something other than Stamina, probably put for AP or for Hit and Crit.

You have 2 pieces of T10, so you'll want to spec into Reaping for more SS hits. Here's the spec;

Hope I helped.
    Runspeed enchant on boots is the best enchant for any class regardless, you should not swap it for + ap.

Also, his meta gem is perfectly fine as it reduces the need for 2x blue gems, giving atleast a +10 str bonus if you put a Bold Cardinal in place of the blue.

Please do even a small bit of research before you give advice to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Velran View Post
    Runspeed enchant on boots is the best enchant for any class regardless, you should not swap it for + ap.

Also, his meta gem is perfectly fine as it reduces the need for 2x blue gems, giving atleast a +10 str bonus if you put a Bold Cardinal in place of the blue.

Please do even a small bit of research before you give advice to others.
    Please do not be unpleasant when correcting others. This is a discussion board, not a circle jerk.

Explain to me why runspeed is better than AP? I mean, the runspeed doesn't increase your DPS when you're on Saurfang, does it?

Why wouldn't he just throw in +10 str +10 stam in place of a socket he's breaking color in? He's got a color bonus on one piece of gear already, +6 str. Besides, the crit rating that he would get from his meta scales higher with his AP than the agility, he's at 5k. Even more if he had the AP enchant on his boots.

Please do not be unpleasant when correcting others. This is a discussion board, not a circle jerk.

Explain to me why runspeed is better than AP? I mean, the runspeed doesn't increase your DPS when you're on Saurfang, does it?

Why wouldn't he just throw in +10 str +10 stam in place of a socket he's breaking color in? He's got a color bonus on one piece of gear already, +6 str. Besides, the crit rating that he would get from his meta scales higher with his AP than the agility, he's at 5k. Even more if he had the AP enchant on his boots.
    Agi is worth 1.360 EP, STR is worth 3.01 EP, and crit is worth 1.95 EP- In short the Agi gem is worth more because of how much STR is worth{21 agi+10 str=58.56 ep, 21 crit=40.95 ep}. I can't get another color bonus with a single blue{even with +6 str, they'd be practically even}. Saurfang is about the ONLY example where + speed doesn't help.

Marrowgar: Bonestorm
    Lady D: Moveing to adds
    Gunship: LOTS of moving everywhere
    Saurfang: Possible repositioning on adds{if one gets stuck in melee}
    Fester: Moving spores
    Rot: Moving Slime
    PP: Following Putricide
    Princes: Moving around the room
    BQ: Moving shadow fire thing out of the raid, moving to other members, and returning
    Valithria: moving from add to add
    Sindragosa: Moving away from Blistering cold{assuming I had to pop AMZ On something else} Moving to and fro ice tombs
    I don't know the LK fight.

Apologies if I came across as unpleasant, it just gets me annoyed sometimes when people speak as though they are correct when they are actually wrong (not aimed at you, just in general).

As for the meta gemming, Yoshimiko pretty much got it in one.

And yes maybe not on Saurfang, but pretty much every other ICC boss your going to be running at some point, and the faster you get back to dpsing the boss, or the faster you get out of goo, the better.

Is your warlock also doing 10 man, or doing 25 man with all the extra buffs involved? Does your 10 man group have lots of caster buffs and no melee buffs?

Your gear seems fine. A large shortfall in DPS with good gear is most likely a talent issue or an execution issue (which can include raid composition). A few gems or enchants off here and there are not going to make a large DPS difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tuoweit View Post
    Is your warlock also doing 10 man, or doing 25 man with all the extra buffs involved? Does your 10 man group have lots of caster buffs and no melee buffs?

Your gear seems fine. A large shortfall in DPS with good gear is most likely a talent issue or an execution issue (which can include raid composition). A few gems or enchants off here and there are not going to make a large DPS difference.
    Thanks, It's probably an execution problem then.

As far as group setup; Our main group is DK Warrior HPally Disc Priest Resto/Ele Shaman, Destro Lock{or my dk} Boomkin MM Hunter Fire Mage, and The last is a hunter, spriest, or Arcane mage just depending who's on. {tanks first, heals 2nd, dps last}

First off your current spec with your current weapon is wrong. 0/17/54 w/o reaping is for DK's who have a Bryntroll or a Shadowmourne.

The spec you want to use would be 14/0/57 since you have 2 piece t10 as stated by Shotzy. (I can not post links since this is a new account)

As for gear set up in reality you want to go for 4 piece t10 and your off piece should be your legs. Either the heroic 264 ones from Sindragosa 10 man or the 264/277 ones from Dreamwalker 25 man (if unable to attain those legs the crafted ones are almost up to par).

Your meta is correct, although I see many top DKs use the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond instead. From what I have read and researched the DPS difference is so little that you cant even tell unless you really look into it.

Your way over hit cap (I don't know if this is just a lack of gear or not), the hit cap is 8%. As for expertise your capped which is 26, but you should know that expertise is almost pointless for a Unholy DK and you should never go out of your way to keep expertise cap (gem/enchant), just make sure you stay above 10 expertise and you will be fine.

Gemming for sub blood spec: if you are going to go for a straight Unholy set up and not play any other DPS spec you should gem with Bold Cardinal Rubies and Inscribed Ametrine. Make sure you are geming for 4 str+ set bonuses as long as they require any amount of red gems and 1 yellow gem and no blue gems.

Gemming for sub frost spec: if you are going to go for a straight unholy set up and not play any other DPS spec you should gem with Bold Cardinal Rubies and Fierce Ametrine (the reason behind 10 str/10 haste gems over 10 str/10 crit gems is because haste becomes more superior when sub frost spec). Make sure you are geming for 4 str+ set bonuses as long as they require any amount of red gems and 1 yellow gem and no blue gems.

Also your needle encrusted scorpion is a terrible trinket for DKs and is at the bottom of the BiS trinket list which will be linked at the end of the post.

Basic Rotation for sub blood spec with reaping: PS – IT – BS – BS – SS – DC – HoW
    SS – DC – SS – SS – DC – (DC if you have the runic power)

My rotation (sub frost w/o reaping):(army of the dead/haste pot before pull) PS - IT - BS - BS - SS - GARGOYLE - EMP RUNE WEP - SS - SS - BS - BS - DC - DC - HoW - SS - PS - IT. After that I just make sure I keep my diseases up and dump runic power whenever my SS runes are on CD.

Also if you want a good professions for PvE you should pick up Engineering and drop your gathering profession.

Last but not least a link to where I learned all of this information but "My rotation". Since I can not post links yet go to Elitist Jerks website > Forums > Death Knights > Unholy Dps | A Wish Right Now

In this link holds everything you need to know from BiS lists, trinket lists, basic rotations, geming, enchanting name it and its in there.

I hope this helped.

The reason behind using Frost subspec is because my raid needs the icy talons. I am buying a Heroic Brynetroll in about 2 weeks if I don't get lucky and snag one in the next 2 weeks. I wasn't aware the NES was *That* bad though.

Hit is just bad gear selection. I'm thinking about swapping out my gloves for 245 T9 gloves, for 2pc+ some loss in hit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them when servers get back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    The reason behind using Frost subspec is because my raid needs the icy talons.
    Except that Regular Icy Talons doesn't assist your raid in any way, only Improved Icy talons does, which you cannot possibly have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgafsailor View Post
    First off your current spec with your current weapon is wrong. 0/17/54 w/o reaping is for DK's who have a Bryntroll or a Shadowmourne.
    This isnt necessarily true frost sub spec can be more dps even without a proc based weapon. You will want to check the simulator with your particular gear setup to see which is better. Most likely the difference will be small and the frost sub spec WILL scale ahead as you grab gear.

All your enchants and gems appear pretty solid, although you should be picking up your strength socket bonus' that you can get with either a strength/crit or strength/haste gem again use the simulator to see which scales better with your gear. There will come a point where haste will scale better than crit.

The only other thing I notice is that your hit is too high, and you dont need anywhere near that much expertise as unholy. You can drop a lot of that for better stats,like strength, haste, crit, or armorpen. I would grab another piece of T10 and drop the legs for the crafted ones, they are a massive upgrade even over our sanctified T10 for unholy. Also ditch those gloves, and get your hands on T10.

NES isnt great, you would be better off with Darkmoon Card Greatness. Which shouldnt be too tough to come by anymore.
    Last edited by thx_138; 2010-06-22 at 07:19 PM.

So how much dps should a DK with at his gear level be doing with the 20% buff?

Probably in the 10K neighborhood with the buff, give or take 1k. It will depend a lot on how well his raid maximizes raid buffs and how quick the fights are as well. That is a big part of dps that you seldom hear, the quicker a fight ends the higher everyone's dps will appear. So if his raid is carrying a lot of people everyone's dps will appear lower in comparison.

Oh and your boot chant if you really want to min/max could get changed to cat's swiftness. You will get the same speed boost but you will get a little agility instead of stam. Always, always, always enchant for run speed, whether its the engineering boots or a regular enchant. Time on target and less time spent moving to avoid fire etc. will be better than 12 crit rating in every situation. You can easily pick up the 12 hit elsewhere.
    Last edited by thx_138; 2010-06-22 at 07:29 PM.