Question Is it really worth it to pick up JC?

First of all, this is not a "ENG/BS & JC ARE TEH BEST COMBO EVAR!!!" thread, cause if I really wanted to, I'd pick up them to min/max my setup. But, I'm kinda partial to LW just because I like being able to make gear and drums.

This is an attempt to gather enough information or opinions for me to decide if it's worth it or not to drop Skinning(which i mostly keep to get mats for LW, but I'm not necessarily tied to keeping it) and pick up JC.

If I drop Skinning for JC, it's a 14-18 DPS increase because of the 3 Dragon's Eyes(which isn't bad), but overall is it worth it to pick JC up? About how much gold does it take to lvl JC to max? If it's not crazy high gold, I can just farm a bunch of skinning mats to sell and fund the lvling of JC.

But i'm just not sure if it's worth all the hassle...please help convince me otherwise

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Ravendill; 2010-06-23 at 10:17 PM.
    Can I get some Ice Blocks with my Kill Shot plz?

Ravéndíll - Turalyon

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, yea you should definatly drop skinning. Especially if you're want to make money off of it, i make at least 4k per week off of selling gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Italy (y'know, spaghetti pizza maccaroni)
    Levelling jewelcrafting sure isn't easy as other professions, but the end reward is worth it. Do not look only at the stats/gear part, jewelcrafting is my favorite profession because of its gold-making capabilities.
    The tricks you can play upon the market with it are many, and each one of them could make you rich.
    The gems are also worth it, and personally I use it more than leatherworking for sure, never made anything outta LW, while with jewelcrafting I got fresh gems everyday and also bought epic fly for 3 chars
    Banana phone
    I've got this feeling, so appealing,
    for us to get together and sing. Sing!

Deleted
    if you got an alt with mining, you can farm most mats for yourself.

but leveling JC basically depends on a metric crapton of goods. a short list of what you would need:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow_jewelcrafting_leveling_guide.html

• 100 Copper Bar
    • 20 Tigerseye or 20 Malachite
    • 120 Bronze Bar = 60 Copper Bar, 60 Tin Bar
    • 60 Shadowgem OR 20 Shadowgem and 20 Small Lustrous Pearl
    • 80 Heavy Stone
    • 30 Moss Agate
    • 140 Mithril Bar
    • 80 Solid Stone
    • 25 Citrine
    • 15 Truesilver Bar
    • 5 Aquamarine
    • 50 Thorium Bar
    • 10 Star Ruby
    • 20 Large Opal
    • 10 Powerful Mojo or 10 Blue Sapphire
    • 10 Essence of Earth or 10 Essence of Undeath
    • 20 Huge Emerald
    • 55 green gems OR 40 and 15 Black Diamond - You can find a list of green gems here. Don't buy all of them from one kind, because there might be some recipes where you don't have the reputation to buy it, so you will have to choose other green gems. Just buy them when you get to that part of the Jewelcrafting guide.
    • 40 Adamantite Powder (200 Adamantite Ore)
    • 10 Primal Earth
    • 10 Adamantite Bar
    • Buy around 70 from any of the following gems: Bloodstone, Chalcedony, Dark Jade, Huge Citrine, Shadow Crystal, Sun Crystal. Make sure to buy at least 5 Bloodstone, 1 Chalcedony, 1 Shadow Crystal and 1 Dark Jade, because you will need the Bloodstones when you reach 395 and the other gems when you reach 440.
    • 46 Eternal Earth OR 23 Eternal Earth and 23 Eternal Shadow
    • 7 Forest Emerald - You might only need 5.
    • around 28 Skyflare Diamond OR 28 Earthsiege Diamond, but you should buy less then 28 and buy more if you need them
    • 1 Frozen Orb
    if you think you can get these mats cheap, or if your economy is cheap, then continue on to the link. also, remember that once you reach 450 and have done the daily a few times, you can and will get a lot of money every day or week from selling gems.

What toon do you play? Remember that by dropping skinning you will lose the 10 - 15 Crit you get from the anotmoy passive. So if your a full time dps toon then this might have some weighting.

My hunter is LW / Skin and i probably wouldn't drop either
    My Pally (Main and Full time raider) is JC / Enchnating - because of the JC only gems and the ring enchants plus cheaper mats before LFD tool came in

Not only are the J/c only gems really good, but you can craft your own gems, so you will never have to pay inflated prices to gem you characters, and then you can even go around and sell the extra gems you cut for inflated prices

10+ Year Old Account
    JC is amazing, it's solid dps, all but necessary to arp cap, and because of it I am almost gold capped. Change professions and don't look back.

Probobly, but I just always found it such a pain to level up. ^_^;; Gimme Mining and Herbalism anyday. XD

I can't imagine why anybody would complain about leveling JC. On my server, I found it to be one of the easiest professions to level. My server seems to have a relatively standard economy I don't think I spent more than 2-3k gold leveling JC. The trick is not to hurry it if there's a bad deal. JC has relatively large sections where you're just cutting uncommon gems, and if you surveil the AH for all the different types of uncommon gems, you can usually one type of them for 1-3g each. 1-3g a level is amazing and that's like half the levels from 300-450. Furthermore, I could usually find a cheap rare gem for like 5g a pop for a number of other levels.
    The whole process takes maybe 2-3 hours total over the course of a week or two if you want to be cheap like me, or probably close to 30 minutes if you have the money to buy whatever's available on the AH for whatever price.
    I can't understand why you'd WANT to level gathering professions like Mining and Herbalism at 80 instead-- the inherent mechanisms of searching for nodes on mounts makes the process so slow, not to mention the annoyance of needing to find rare nodes. These professions might be more reasonable if you're doing them as you're leveling (and even then, I found with BoA gear you end up leveling significantly faster than your gathering professions).

As for JC versus skinning, skinning provides you with 40 crit rating, which is good for hunters-- probably worth more than the 80ap of LW depending on your setup-- but nothing beats the versatility of JCing, since you can make that 40 crit into 42 agi or 42 arp, and even if it was just 40agi or 40arp it'd still be a better deal, but the way arp scales when you get close to the arp cap the 42 arp is worth significantly more.
    I'd say the biggest issue with skinning is that it's a profession that takes a lot of time to "use" or profit. In order to skin, you need to kill mobs, which tend to be bound by a respawn timer, and even if you have a good location (and there are several places with very good respawn times), you're still pretty limited in how much you can make. On the other hand, JC is useful to both you and everybody around you. I cut gems for my guildies all the time. And if I ever felt like trying to profit from JC, it would take just a little bit of time scanning the AH, buying gems, cutting them and selling them. The whole process takes a shorter time than getting a stack of leather and is worth hundreds and thousands more gold.
    Last edited by pewpewinface; 2010-06-24 at 10:21 AM.

The amount of gold it can take will definitely vary. On my server, it costs about 3k horde-side but about 5k alliance-side. It shouldn't be much more or much less than those numbers though.

these threads are like women problems... they come up at least once per month and always have the same result

Quote Originally Posted by Beno View Post
    What toon do you play? Remember that by dropping skinning you will lose the 10 - 15 Crit you get from the anotmoy passive. So if your a full time dps toon then this might have some weighting.

My hunter is LW / Skin and i probably wouldn't drop either
    My Pally (Main and Full time raider) is JC / Enchnating - because of the JC only gems and the ring enchants plus cheaper mats before LFD tool came in
    The amount of dps you gain from JC vs Skinning is incredible.

42 APEN is roughly 80-90 dps + 25% = 113

Skinnig is lol crit, turning it into something like 30-40dps?

Also with JC you can play with gems to hit your cap more flexible. Such as ... Switching out a 34 apen for a 34 agi to get under the apen cap.

I believe BIS right nos is JC/Engineering, but i'm still rocking JC/BS as the difference in dps isn't very noticeable.

Thanks for all the input!

Inevitably, I will be switching to JC and dropping Skinning; I just needed that extra push to do it :P
    Can I get some Ice Blocks with my Kill Shot plz?

Ravéndíll - Turalyon

JC really is worth to lvl not only for selling gems and disenchanting crafted rings/necks to sell it for enchanting mats but lets say ur waiting for the raid pug to fill up or ur waiting for ur LFD que or just sit there in any major city u can alwys spam ur JC profession to cut gems and make money. U make more money than enchanting by sitting and spamming ur JC prof. esp u have more JC recipes.
    I make 100g-200 in less than hour just by sitting in dalaran while waiting for raid to fill up. Just multiply it in a day or how many hours u sit there and u make good money.

Quote Originally Posted by pewpewinface View Post
    I can't imagine why anybody would complain about leveling JC. On my server, I found it to be one of the easiest professions to level. My server seems to have a relatively standard economy I don't think I spent more than 2-3k gold leveling JC. The trick is not to hurry it if there's a bad deal. JC has relatively large sections where you're just cutting uncommon gems, and if you surveil the AH for all the different types of uncommon gems, you can usually one type of them for 1-3g each. 1-3g a level is amazing and that's like half the levels from 300-450. Furthermore, I could usually find a cheap rare gem for like 5g a pop for a number of other levels.
    The whole process takes maybe 2-3 hours total over the course of a week or two if you want to be cheap like me, or probably close to 30 minutes if you have the money to buy whatever's available on the AH for whatever price.
    I can't understand why you'd WANT to level gathering professions like Mining and Herbalism at 80 instead-- the inherent mechanisms of searching for nodes on mounts makes the process so slow, not to mention the annoyance of needing to find rare nodes. These professions might be more reasonable if you're doing them as you're leveling (and even then, I found with BoA gear you end up leveling significantly faster than your gathering professions).

As for JC versus skinning, skinning provides you with 40 crit rating, which is good for hunters-- probably worth more than the 80ap of LW depending on your setup-- but nothing beats the versatility of JCing, since you can make that 40 crit into 42 agi or 42 arp, and even if it was just 40agi or 40arp it'd still be a better deal, but the way arp scales when you get close to the arp cap the 42 arp is worth significantly more.
    I'd say the biggest issue with skinning is that it's a profession that takes a lot of time to "use" or profit. In order to skin, you need to kill mobs, which tend to be bound by a respawn timer, and even if you have a good location (and there are several places with very good respawn times), you're still pretty limited in how much you can make. On the other hand, JC is useful to both you and everybody around you. I cut gems for my guildies all the time. And if I ever felt like trying to profit from JC, it would take just a little bit of time scanning the AH, buying gems, cutting them and selling them. The whole process takes a shorter time than getting a stack of leather and is worth hundreds and thousands more gold.
    You still have to do the dailies to buy epic gem patterns so it will take more than 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dddmaster View Post
    these threads are like women problems... they come up at least once per month and always have the same result
    To ban or not to ban, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonights View Post
    that gets a ban but repetitive threads dont oO?
    Creating threads isn't against the rules, spamming and trolling are.