Page 1 of 33
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Blue] Epics will be epic again in Cataclysm!

Originally Posted by Ancilorn
    Well, hopefully this comes as good news. We're actually working on restoring the epic feeling to epic items in Cataclysm. Epic loot should be epic, and something to be very proud of. Our plan is to try and get the Heroic -> Blue Gear and Raid -> Purple Gear balance back.

This is further proof that not everything Deathwing does is entirely a bad thing. =) (Source)
    There you go

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, I didn't play a lot back when "Epics were epic" (started in the end of BC). It'll be nice to have epic epics in Cataclysm

10+ Year Old Account
    Tres interessant :P

Sounds more like TBC then, with the majority dropping blues and some of the harder end-bosses dropping an epic

You do realise though that this is purely a cosmetic thing. There were a lot of iLevel200 blues that you could get at the end of Icecrown/Storm Peaks and in dungeons that were just as good as epics. Mark of the War Prisoner to name one, that was my DPS trinket for sooooooo long cause of the huge amount of hit it had

hell, in vanilla half of the first raid (ZG) loot table was blue.

10+ Year Old Account
    F**k yes!!!!!!11
    Ex-Ensidia & Clarity-Twisting Nether member.

Deleted
    About f**king time tbh...

The color of it is irrelevant. The progression path remains
    quest rewards > normal dungeons > heroic dungeons > first tier raids > second tier raids > and so on

It's irrelevant what the colors of any and all of these levels are. It's still "casualclysm" whether they color the heroic loot blue or purple, nothing about the casualness of the game is changing.

note: this is not a complaint, just an observation, statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmyeah!
    Nakkiz of Memento <EU-Frostwhisper>

Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    ZG was not the first raid.

Stratholme, Scholomance, Blackrock Spire etc were the first raids.

h to the ELL YEAH

Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    Protip: ZG was NOT the first raid in Vanilla. If we want to get Technical UBRS/Strat/Scholo were all "raids" I believe BRD could be 10 manned as well, but memory is fading...
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    Seriously. Someone bookmark this. If we go all the way from 6.0 to 7.0 and there is never a paid Garrison feature on the blizzard store, I will go to the store, purchase a hat and film myself eating it.

does this mean u will have your main in epics and your alts will never ever get them?

I remember when you could strut into a BG with MC or AQ gear and you literally owned the place. I don't think you can bring that feeling back without breaking the game. You might consider ToC and relentless gear normal right now, but back in the day a full set of blues was something to be proud of. Epics took a lot of work or luck.

iirc MC was teh first raid, ZG was patched in at a latter date.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

ummm it doesnt change much... heroics will still give badges for.. you guessed it... epic gear.
    If they want epic feeling to come back, they have to make epic count in starting instances really low and fill it with some high quality blues like it was in aq20 and zg.(yes i know mc was the very first raid but even there each boss was dropping 2 epics for 40 players so...)
    8 piece sets would also help regaining that feeling. Those were hard to gather and this is why they were so awesome. Now who cares they ahve set items if they can get whole set for badges and when every1 has them...
    Last edited by Dexiefy; 2010-06-24 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrissich View Post
    Protip: ZG was NOT the first raid in Vanilla. If we want to get Technical UBRS/Strat/Scholo were all "raids" I believe BRD could be 10 manned as well, but memory is fading...

Nothing technical about it. They were raids. All nerfed after a while but at release, they were raids. I think UBRS was the only that was still designed for 10 players by the time BC came out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by finnalblow View Post
    does this mean u will have your main in epics and your alts will never ever get them?
    If your alts never raid, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Sounds more like TBC then, with the majority dropping blues and some of the harder end-bosses dropping an epic
    Not really. Sounds more like pre-TBC where epics would only drop in raids (or seriously long grinds).
    And don't forget there was on 5 man dungeons (Blues), 20 man raids (AQ20 etc) and 40 man raids (MC, BWL, AQ40, Naxx etc).

I'm glad they are bring this back.

Ok, but they'll most likely continue to provide the previous tier of raiding gear traded in for badges from heroics. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but to the majority of people who were all upset about how epic gear lost their 'epicness' this is the main reason why.

I do agree with the change, just don't think that all the blizzard haters of this expansion will be as pleased as they might think.

It still isn't as epic when everyone else has it...and if everyone else don't have it, it means they aren't able to raid which is half the endgame content, and they wouldn't want anyone left out....so not sure what this accomplishes. Doesn't matter regardless, epic/rarity is about as useful as gearscore.