10+ Year Old Account

Flamestrike macro...why?

So when i was reading up mage macros and i saw there was a macro for flamestrike where you cast the highest rank first and then the next below it right after.....why? Well they say its so you can have the rank 9 dot ticks and rank 8 ticks going on simultaneously but when i cast 2 rank 9s the fire stays up so do the rank 9s stack or am i missing something here?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted
    You get 2 stacks 1 for rank 8 and 1 for rank 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i know but when i cast 2 rank 9s right next to each other both of them stay up so wouldnt they both stack as well?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

If I'm not mistaken the DoT effect is placed on the ground, it is not a debuff.

Im bored, are you sure one of your flamestrikes isnt critting and procing ignite? The damage of the DoT tick and Ignite tick are very similar for me.

Im still bored, tested it.

back to back Rank 9:
    5 flamestrike dot ticks

Rank 9 followed by rank 8:
    8 flamestrike dot ticks
    Last edited by Laadeeda; 2010-06-25 at 12:36 AM.
    Mannoroth-US
    Deedalee - 85 Fire Mage
    All of my alts are dead.

Deleted
    From what I understand you can have 2 flamestrikes up of the same rank.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    From what I understand you can have 2 flamestrikes up of the same rank.
    which is why you understand wrong.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    ok swizzle since your here i might as well ask, why is it that it doesnt work that way and how do you properly type of the macro cause i used the one on the mage macros thread here and it wasnt really working for me

15+ Year Old Account
    in all honesty, since it is a AoE placed on the ground and not a debuff/buff placed on the target/you which allows different ranks to be used at once, whereas the same rank will just refresh itself, continuing the damage done by the prior strike for the extra length of the cast.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    in all honesty, since it is a AoE placed on the ground and not a debuff/buff placed on the target/you which allows different ranks to be used at once, whereas the same rank will just refresh itself, continuing the damage done by the prior strike for the extra length of the cast.
    I've used the macro in the forums and it worked fine. However, I've found just adding 1 more keybind to be better than saving space.

Deleted
    I think what the OP is saying is why he can see more than 1 FS9 on the ground and does that mean they will both tick. The answeer is no. Afaik you can cast as many FS9's on the ground but the first to tick will cancel the rest so the only way to get some proper ticks going is to cast FS9 and FS8 ontop of each other.

Deleted
    Then... Why not use more ranks down from 9, but blizzard after them ? Ofc as long as they do reasonable damage ? I always use blizzard for aoe and never tried this one out, but does sequence fs9, fs8, blizz do the most dmg ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Then... Why not use more ranks down from 9, but blizzard after them ? Ofc as long as they do reasonable damage ? I always use blizzard for aoe and never tried this one out, but does sequence fs9, fs8, blizz do the most dmg ?
    Yes you should be stackign the 2 debuffs then blizzarding (depending on haste you may be able to pull of 2 blizzards before needing to reaply the FS.

As for the question on why not 2 R9 FS it is simple. The 2 flame strikes will be on the ground however the target can only be affected by the dmg based off the Rank and NOT based on how many of the same rank is down. Thus if you have 3 X R9 FS on the ground the target can only be affected by the Dmg from R9 FS thus the target only takes 1x dmg from rank 9 FS. However the dmg from R8 is different thus if you have R9 and R8 ontop of eachother the target takes dmg from 1Xr9 1xR8. Since the dmg is registered as different from diff ranks thoes can stack but same ranks are non stacking all the do is refresh the damage from the newest one put down.

--As well by dmg from rank 8/9 I assumed others would understand (clearly did not) but we are talking about the dot that is left on the ground not the initial dmg of the spell going off! --

The reason even lower ranks of Flamestrike aren't used, which I believe was Avezo's question, is that on ranks below 8, the SP scaling dropoff means it just isn't worth it.

And just to be redundant, as everyone else has mentioned, the same rank ground aoe effects overwrite each other because they're the same spell, but different ranks are different spells, so you can have them ticking at the same time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkir View Post
    The reason even lower ranks of Flamestrike aren't used, which I believe was Avezo's question, is that on ranks below 8, the SP scaling dropoff means it just isn't worth it.
    That was it, thx for answer.