enhance rotation question

Alright, so I've taken a break for awhile. Im back and now find that my Flameshocks scale with haste and are a bit under 10 seconds. Is it really worth it to cast EarthShock at all now? Overwriting a dot isn't good but by the time I get back around to casting it again it's got 2-3 seconds left.

Never clip your FSs. Just don't do it.
    Baretta M92 Custom Praiyachat Sword Cutlass Special
    Starcaller Renzokuken, 80 Dwarf Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    You use flameshock only once in 25 seconds to keep your totem up 100% of the time. Yes ES is still worth using since its our 2nd best damage spell after LB, just make sure you still have SS charges left, otherwise use stormstrike (if both out of cooldown ofcourse)

Hope it helps
    This is completely wrong. Using flameshock has nothing to do with the totem. You use flameshock whenever the dot drops and you don't clip it.

Shaman use flameshock because a flameshock that has a full duration dot after will do more dmg than an earthshock, which is completely contrary to what you just said.
    Last edited by Vargarii; 2010-06-25 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

shock and awe is a great addon for managing your rotation. you can set it so you only cast FS when its not on the target thus u never clip ure FS. please for the love of god read the FAQ's before posting

Press in dire situations http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Adding in, most shaman use it at 1 to 1 in ES now.
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

yep, pretty much Flameshock off the bat, then an earthshock next, by the time I am back up for a shock, the dot is on its last tick so I will flameshock again. If it has more then one tick, which I dont know how it could, its earthshock again.

Now the difference between FS, ES, ES, and FS, ES is all in the amount of haste you have on your gear at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintAshlar View Post
    Alright, so I've taken a break for awhile. Im back and now find that my Flameshocks scale with haste and are a bit under 10 seconds. Is it really worth it to cast EarthShock at all now? Overwriting a dot isn't good but by the time I get back around to casting it again it's got 2-3 seconds left.
    Without ES in my rotation i drop around 150-200dps.

On a side note, enhsim shows me that with my current gear set and priority list clipping by 1 is a 8-10dps increase, weird.

Also why does saa come default with FS clip at 3 (or 2 cant remember atm)?

edit: incase anyone cared and wanted armory link:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&cn=Irukandji

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    yep, pretty much Flameshock off the bat, then an earthshock next, by the time I am back up for a shock, the dot is on its last tick so I will flameshock again. If it has more then one tick, which I dont know how it could, its earthshock again.

Now the difference between FS, ES, ES, and FS, ES is all in the amount of haste you have on your gear at the time.
    This is entirely the wrong way to think about Enhancement DPS.

We do not have a rotation. You can not boil it down that way.

We have a shifting priority queue. What ability you use depends on what debuffs are up, how many ticks are left, etc. To figure out the ideal priority, you need to play with a simulator, because it changes based on gear (especially, but not exclusively, the amount of haste), buffs and debuffs, as well as shifting dynamically mid-fight based on your own procs and debuffs.

Being able to track this and do it right will yield significantly better DPS than following some hard rotation some other guy who doesn't know your stats told you to use.

Same for gearing. Many people will tell you to gear haste. At higher gear levels, though, AP pulls ahead again, ever so slightly. There are no easy answers with Enhancement; you need to do the footwork yourself. If you want easy answers as regards rotation and gearing, go play an Arcane mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is entirely the wrong way to think about Enhancement DPS.

We do not have a rotation. You can not boil it down that way.

We have a shifting priority queue. What ability you use depends on what debuffs are up, how many ticks are left, etc. To figure out the ideal priority, you need to play with a simulator, because it changes based on gear (especially, but not exclusively, the amount of haste), buffs and debuffs, as well as shifting dynamically mid-fight based on your own procs and debuffs.

Being able to track this and do it right will yield significantly better DPS than following some hard rotation some other guy who doesn't know your stats told you to use.

Same for gearing. Many people will tell you to gear haste. At higher gear levels, though, AP pulls ahead again, ever so slightly. There are no easy answers with Enhancement; you need to do the footwork yourself. If you want easy answers as regards rotation and gearing, go play an Arcane mage.
    I agree.
    Ability priority order
    1) Maelstrom Weapon x 5 stacks - Lightning Bolt
    2) Flame Shock (1 tick left or no debuff)
    3) Stormstrike if debuff not active
    4) Lightning Shield if not active
    5) Fire Elemental
    6) Magma Totem if not active
    7) Spirit Wolves
    8) Shamanistic Rage
    9) Earthshock
    10) Stormstrike
    11) Lava Lash
    12) Fire Nova
    13) Magma Totem if 2 ticks left
    14) Lightning Shield if 2 charges left

That is the best priority order. Now you need to be able to monitor all those spells and debuffs on the fly.
    Last edited by heartlarva; 2010-06-26 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzokuken View Post
    Never clip your FSs. Just don't do it.
    Worst advice ever. It's pretty trivial with (and quite possible even without) the glyph of FS for a FS - 1 or 2 ticks to still do more damage than an Earthshock with SS. If we were talking about Aff locks who have no CDs on their dots and have good filler spells then you don't clip, in the case of a shock with a 6 second CD clipping a tick or two can be the best DPS option.

---------- Post added 2010-06-25 at 11:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenzb View Post
    Without ES in my rotation i drop around 150-200dps.

On a side note, enhsim shows me that with my current gear set and priority list clipping by 1 is a 8-10dps increase, weird.

Also why does saa come default with FS clip at 3 (or 2 cant remember atm)?

edit: incase anyone cared and wanted armory link:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&cn=Irukandji
    Probably because it was originally setup to work with # of seconds remaing on the debuff, and 3 seconds was the tick timer. With the change to allow FS to scale with haste Levva updated it to # of ticks, and most likely forgot to change the default value (since you should really be controlling that yourself anyway).

Deleted
    Why are people now saying we have a 1:1 rotation? It still seems like a priority system to me it just happens to wind up being 1:1 most of the time. During BL and Hyperspeeds clipping FS with 1 tick getting a lucky MW proc or LS refresh I end up doing 1-2 back-to-back Flame Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintAshlar View Post
    Wrong.all of it. wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restraint View Post
    A bad is someone who keyboard turns, stands in fire, and mashes there face on keys.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC View Post
    Why are people now saying we have a 1:1 rotation? It still seems like a priority system to me it just happens to wind up being 1:1 most of the time. During BL and Hyperspeeds clipping FS with 1 tick getting a lucky MW proc or LS refresh I end up doing 1-2 back-to-back Flame Shocks.
    I didn't really say anything about rotation at all. I said most shaman are using it 1 to 1, I should have noted that I meant most geared shaman, but it doesn't take an extraordinary amount of gear to get to the point where you're going to be falling into a frequent 1 to 1 ratio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heartlarva View Post
    That is the best priority order. Now you need to be able to monitor all those spells and debuffs on the fly.
    You can't even say that. The "best" priority has changed a few times over the last few patches, not because of changes to the abilities, but because breakpoints for certain spells occur at certain gear levels. For instance; Maelstrom weapon x4 LB used to be on the list. It's not on the standard list any more because of the 4 piece T10 bonus, which only procs on a x5 Maelstrom proc. It's too big a DPS loss to burn a 4 stack early now.

What your priority list is depends entirely on your own gear. Also, latency will affect it. The best thing you can do is get a decent sim (like Enhsim) and start working it out yourself. The stuff you'll find on sites like Elitistjerks and such is optimized for the best-in-slot gear, and you may do better DPS with a different priority queue if you aren't there yet.

Gemming is the same way. It used to be common knowledge that you gemmed haste as Enhancement. AP has started to pull ahead for me, though; my haste level is high enough that I'm starting to see diminishing returns. They're still pretty close to neck and neck, but it isn't a simple decision any more.