Thread: Call for help

Exclamation Call for help

I just had a conversation with a fellow hunter about gear and the upcoming raid week. The talk was coming to an end and I started to end it with "Take care, look forward to seeing your logs on tuesday night". He responds with "Ty and one more thing, Get rid of Distant Land n00b!!"

Here's where I'm looking for feedback, and yes I am currently running with Heroic-Distant Land. I've been told numerous times that Oathbinder, Charge of the Ranger-General, from normal Lich King, is a dps increase. After sitting here for hours at work(hard job I know) using femaledwarf.com and the spreadsheet from elitistjerks.com I can't seem to get an increase from Oathbinder, or even Heroic-Hersir's Greatspear. Both of which I'm told is an increase.

I loaded my current set-up into FD.com and here's what I come up with:

Armor Pen Food + 2 elixirs(Arp+Int)
    Total ArP = 1380
    Heroic Distant Land -- 13,259.43 DPS

Now I switch over to Oathbinder, which has a huge amount of ArP that's put me over the cap so I change up some gems and here's what I get:

Armor Pen Food + Flask of Endless Rage
    Total ArP = 1396
    Oathbinder -- 13,207.17

I gain 16 ArP but lose 52.26 DPS. I'm hoping someone cares enough, or is bored enough to help me out. Plug me into FD.com and see if you can get an increase. Here's my info:

Name -- Dhryke
    Realm -- US-Kargath
    Pet -- Malakai

Any help/feedback would be apprieciated as I am a true min/maxer at heart.

Thanks

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The only real "variables" in FD.com are raid buffs. We don't know what buffs you have. Therefore YOU should plug yourself in. You want to run the buffs you have most of the time instead of the ones that are occasional, so you can appropriately what is best. However, for the most part, Oathbinder IS better than Distant Land. I have Heroic Distant Land myself, as I've yet to get Oathbinder and it was an increase over 245 Archon Glaive.

edit: with no buffs, Oathbinder is a ~4 DPS increase just switching those two, from what I see. As stated, we don't know what buffs you have/don't have in a raid setting. Most people just think Distant Land is bad because of the Haste, but for the most part their right. However, if you don't necessarily need the Arp (As in your case), then Distant Land is miles better because of the extra socket, crit, and AP. As well as a non-wasted stat in Arp (Which, coincidentally, with Oathbinder you could drop ~6 Arp gems for agi which would effectively give Oathbinder an extra 120 agi on it..ha).
    Last edited by Thundercougr; 2010-06-26 at 07:01 PM.
    I'll not spend my days glancing over my shoulder for assassins. Let them look back for me. --Elbryan, the Nightbird.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Thundercougr/

10+ Year Old Account
    I laugh at hunters when they use Distant land (in either form) when they are gemming arp. It simply doesn't make sense to me, why they would take a stat stick that has none of their most valuable stat. Distant land sims well, but this is because the haste on it is more viable in a patchwerk fight, which is what FD takes into account. Try to keep this in mind when using the spreadsheet.

I'm pretty sure you would want Oathbinder, in the end you will have to itemize for it because the 284 Oathbinder is BiS for most Hunters.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    I laugh at hunters when they use Distant land (in either form) when they are gemming arp. It simply doesn't make sense to me, why they would take a stat stick that has none of their most valuable stat. Distant land sims well, but this is because the haste on it is more viable in a patchwerk fight, which is what FD takes into account. Try to keep this in mind when using the spreadsheet.
    Try reading my post.
    I'll not spend my days glancing over my shoulder for assassins. Let them look back for me. --Elbryan, the Nightbird.

Quote Originally Posted by buttspawn View Post
    The only real "variables" in FD.com are raid buffs. We don't know what buffs you have. Therefore YOU should plug yourself in. You want to run the buffs you have most of the time instead of the ones that are occasional, so you can appropriately what is best. However, for the most part, Oathbinder IS better than Distant Land. I have Heroic Distant Land myself, as I've yet to get Oathbinder and it was an increase over 245 Archon Glaive.

edit: with no buffs, Oathbinder is a ~4 DPS increase just switching those two, from what I see. As stated, we don't know what buffs you have/don't have in a raid setting. Most people just think Distant Land is bad because of the Haste, but for the most part their right. However, if you don't necessarily need the Arp (As in your case), then Distant Land is miles better because of the extra socket, crit, and AP. As well as a non-wasted stat in Arp (Which, coincidentally, with Oathbinder you could drop ~6 Arp gems for agi which would effectively give Oathbinder an extra 120 agi on it..ha).
    As far as buffs go, we have everything, just enable best possible raid buffs, and then for debuffs enable best possible. The only change comes from Hunter's Mark. Instead of setting it for Improved 3/3+Glyph, set it for "Use Mine". That'll give you everything we run with on an ideal night.

When you talk about Haste, yes too much is bad, but only when you reach the point of it decreasing your steady shot cast time below 1.5 seconds.

Laugh away while I out DPS you. Yes I know FD.com and spreadsheets use a "patchwerk" style fight. That is what I am looking for, being that this is all theoretical anyways.

284 Oathbinder is BiS for most Hunters
    This particular item, which is BiS, wasn't even part of the equation.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    FD automatically is set to "Use Mine". I never said Haste was bad. It's actually a decent stat, but the other stats are SO much better that Haste is generally the worst.

Again: Why should we use your stats to find otu what's best for you? FD.com is pretty straightforward. You already know how to use it yet want us to do the work? It's extremely unlikely that you would miss something and we didn't, especially since you already know how FD.com works.

I got up to 13220 with Oathbinder, though I never expected to be able to beat Distand Land. DL is a better weapon with better stats if you can hard cap without Oathbinder. It has a higher ilvl and wasted less of its gear points on stamina. That said, haste takes the biggest hit when you start moving and losing auto shots. If you can push toward ideal circumstances in a raid setting, DL is your better choice. The worse you are the better Oathbinder is, if that makes sense.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I got up to 13220 with Oathbinder, though I never expected to be able to beat Distand Land. DL is a better weapon with better stats if you can hard cap without Oathbinder. It has a higher ilvl and wasted less of its gear points on stamina. That said, haste takes the biggest hit when you start moving and losing auto shots. If you can push toward ideal circumstances in a raid setting, DL is your better choice. The worse you are the better Oathbinder is, if that makes sense.
    Which is even more reason for you to L2P! Ha. Seriously though, I see a lot of Hunters lose out on DPS by moving around too much. Use your rocket boots/cheetah (Very rare circumstances and certainly not in ICC)/Disengage/get a movement speed enchant on your boots. Less movement means more auto-shots+steady shots, which are your top damage abilities as MM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttspawn View Post
    Again: Why should we use your stats to find otu what's best for you? FD.com is pretty straightforward. You already know how to use it yet want us to do the work? It's extremely unlikely that you would miss something and we didn't, especially since you already know how FD.com works.
    Again: You DON'T have to do anything. You can actually stop reading right now. Yes, I know how to use FD.com. Yes, it is easy to use. Do I want you to do the work for me? No. I did plenty of testing myself. Is it possible I missed something, or didn't check a combination of enchants/gems, VERY.

Thank you Lysah, could you tell me exactly what you changed to get to 13,220 with Oathbinder? 13 DPS over my best setup with it so I'm a bit interested. And you make perfect sense.

Thanks to everyone who answered sincerely. It's good to know other hunters perspectives. I now have some legit info to pass onto the hunters that I come into contact from day to day.

Stay sexy

Put on Oathbinder, two agility gems. Change food to mammoth, int/ArP elixirs, change one of your JC ArP gems to agility. I was left with 1401 ArP which was just about right, with the rest in agility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Put on Oathbinder, two agility gems. Change food to mammoth, int/ArP elixirs, change one of your JC ArP gems to agility. I was left with 1401 ArP which was just about right, with the rest in agility.
    Awesome, I'll give it a whirl.

Yep, If I had a choice of Distant land or the one of the polarms from 10 man, i would take the polarms. The Haste is really miscalculated (right term?) in FD.