Thread: Gearscore

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Gearscore

Yall keep saying it doesnt matter, but be realistic. On trade people ALWAYS ask for your gear score before you can be invited. You may hate gear score, but ya kinda need to know this kind of information if you want to join or form a non-guild run. And I expect there to be LOTS of non-guild RS raids because its a short raid. so why does it not matter?
    If your raid is bad, bind your Hyperspeed Accelerator to hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried RS on PTR's

I think it will be hard/impossible for pugs tbh unless they have brains and use vent
    Ex-Ensidia & Clarity-Twisting Nether member.

Deleted
    What is this? I dont even...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Check the link in my sig.
    He's not saying that you need a >9000 GS to do Naxx (over exaggeration), he's saying you need it to get into pugs because idiots abuse it, which is right, and very dumb and wrong to do.
    I'm just an ex-con trying to go straight to get my kids back

Seems more like OPs trying to defend the use of GS when there is no reason at all to need it.

Pugs went just fine without it and they would do even better with it gone. Sure the concept was allright but it was obvious it was going to be abused by retards who think they are good because they have a number higher them somone else, wich nearly evryone who uses this god forsaken addon is.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

gearscore is the best thing that happened to WoW since questhelper. naw jk. Yesterday in my daily random heroic I met a death knight who was using a green axe with agility and intellect on it. I asked him wtf was going on and he said he was using it for gearscore so it looked better than his boa axe. He also had one of those generic DK names like "mideathknyte" or some shit like that but with a funny i.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't we just live with the fact that GS exists and some idiots abuse it, but some others put it to good use? Geez, the amount of threads on this subject is ridiculous.
    Warlock (SL main)

There's no way GS will help you get into a RS PuG.

First, people will do it with their guilds and after a week or two you won't have a chance of getting in without an achievement.

Deleted
    This thread.

Oh look, another gearscore thread.

Deleted
    Today*09:26 PM #9
    emni
    Join DateApr 2010Posts277
    There's no way GS will help you get into a RS PuG.

First, people will do it with their guilds and after a week or two you won't have a chance of getting in without achievement
    Underachiever ftw!!!
    [/QUOTE]

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had a 40% wipe in RS 10 normal with PuGs, i was on a well geared char they were in standard epics from PTR copies. And we used vent. So with ONE try thats not bad, with no tactics, PuGs will slaughter 10man normal maybe eventually 25man normal. Heroic may take a while. Gear score does matter but whats to stop me using a 277 hit trink on my warrior for more GS just to PuG. Its flawed and has little use. They have have bought 264 BOEs and have greens. Who knows. JUST FKIN INSPECT! Because it doesnt comply with quality of gems or content cleared or enchants too.

Because GS is NOT a sign of skill or experience. Just that peeps got gear... usually thru being kited by a handful of skilled geared peeps.
    Here is a recountof a recent ICC 25 pug.. WITH 25% raid buffs. I was almost denied a spot, but they couldn;t get the spot filled so I was in.

I am the Shammy at the top. In the first 4 fights.. the meters looked like this... I was in the top 3-4 everytime.. and mostly top 1 or 2. This was my entry level geared alt.. main is a mage that is 6k gs. I know the fights and I researched my toon.

I was the LOWEST gearscore in the raid... and mostly by a large margin... (ingame GS is about 2X what you see.. so I has 400-1000 lower than the rest.

All I see in trade is "Must have 5500 GS or better" all this is are peeps who don't know JACK about the game relying on a mythical figure from a lame azz addon to get people to kite them thru raids. What they get is mainly other peeps who have BEEN kited to get better gear.

People have come to rely WAYYYYY to much on GS... and they STILL aren't capable of downing anything requiring a little situational awareness. I'm not impressed with my own marginal performance in that 25% buffed raid... but was a FAR cry ahead of MANY MUCH better geared peeps.

Yeah.. Gearscore was used for this 25 man pug... and the skill level prevented us from getting past first 4. Plain and simple.. Gearscore is used by peeps who really don't KNOW what they are doing.

Last edited by AuthurDent; 2010-06-27 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on my hunter, level 31. A group was looking for more to fill their spots for ICC 25 and they requested GS/ROLL/CLASS/SPEC and that your GS must be at least 5.1k. I sent in a tell with "6100/DPS/HUNTER/MARKS" to the leader.

I got an invite. I typed "I'm level 31, silly." and dropped group after about 2 minutes of waiting for someone to say something or for me to get kicked.

This is the sort of retardation that GearScore meant to solve, but only made worse by giving leaders the option to skip all sorts of research before actually inviting someone. /who would have been feasible enough in this case!

Author of ALL THE THINGS - Collections addon for Completionists

While I agree with what you said, we really don't need more of these threads. D:

I once read the delightful simile of "Gearscore is like giving a 5 year old a loaded pistol."

Lovely tool in the right hands and the right situation, but people tend to abuse it to such an irritatingly irrational extent we'd all be better off if it wasn't introduced at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Check the link in my sig.
    /facepalm

Not every pug is full of hard core raiders that are willing to wipe countless times to down bosses they could one shot if everyone in the raid had decent gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorack View Post
    I once read the delightful simile of "Gearscore is like giving a 5 year old a loaded pistol."

Lovely tool in the right hands and the right situation, but people tend to abuse it to such an irritatingly irrational extent we'd all be better off if it wasn't introduced at all.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...atures-Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    /facepalm

Not every pug is full of hard core raiders that are willing to wipe countless times to down bosses they could one shot if everyone in the raid had decent gear.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...atures-Avatars
    *Psilo casts "the point"(missed)*

He was trying to say that it is POSSIBLE. So clearly gearscore is in no way a reliable way to tell the quality of a player. It was meant as an easy tool to get a general idea of what content a player has seen / general gear comparisons. It's become something far worse as people refuse anyone who doesn't meet their high standards of gear.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No this again /facepalm

Gear score is a tool, its the bad people whos bad!

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    Because GS is NOT a sign of skill or experience. Just that peeps got gear... usually thru being kited by a handful of skilled geared peeps.
    Here is a recountof a recent ICC 25 pug.. WITH 25% raid buffs. I was almost denied a spot, but they couldn;t get the spot filled so I was in.

I am the Shammy at the top. In the first 4 fights.. the meters looked like this... I was in the top 3-4 everytime.. and mostly top 1 or 2. This was my entry level geared alt.. main is a mage that is 6k gs. I know the fights and I researched my toon.

I was the LOWEST gearscore in the raid... and mostly by a large margin... (ingame GS is about 2X what you see.. so I has 400-1000 lower than the rest.

All I see in trade is "Must have 5500 GS or better" all this is are peeps who don't know JACK about the game relying on a mythical figure from a lame azz addon to get people to kite them thru raids. What they get is mainly other peeps who have BEEN kited to get better gear.

People have come to rely WAYYYYY to much on GS... and they STILL aren't capable of downing anything requiring a little situational awareness. I'm not impressed with my own marginal performance in that 25% buffed raid... but was a FAR cry ahead of MANY MUCH better geared peeps.

Yeah.. Gearscore was used for this 25 man pug... and the skill level prevented us from getting past first 4. Plain and simple.. Gearscore is used by peeps who really don't KNOW what they are doing.

What raid was that? Because if no one can do more than 6k DPS, that entire raid is fail.

You must have bad luck when it comes to pugs, because every time I've been in a pug, there are no where near that many people that have such bad DPS.