Thread: Gearscore

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trolle-Os View Post
    gearscore is the best thing that happened to WoW since questhelper. naw jk. Yesterday in my daily random heroic I met a death knight who was using a green axe with agility and intellect on it. I asked him wtf was going on and he said he was using it for gearscore so it looked better than his boa axe. He also had one of those generic DK names like "mideathknyte" or some shit like that but with a funny i.
    Actually, you obviously misunderstood him. GS the addon would have given him a higher score for a BoA than any green available in the game. All BoAs are treated as ilvl 200 blues. What he was trying to cheat was wows in-game gear limitation on the LFG system. It won't let you queue for heroics unless you have a certain level of gear and it treats BoAs as ilvl 1. I had to go buy a worthless green weapon before I could queue for reg ToC. What he didn't realize was that you don't have to keep the thing equipped.

Fortunately GS is smart enough not to go by the horrible method of ilvl which says upgrading to a 264 ring is better than upgrading to a 245 chest even though the chest gives you twice as many stats. GS uses stat allocation so it is a true indication of the total stat value of gear. And since the addon gives you a quick link to the persons gear its up to the user to verify that its class/spec appropriate. If you can't tell that the warriors 264 spellpower boots aren't good then how is that gearscores fault? So now that you've only spent 3 seconds discovering that 3 of the people asking for an invite are melee wearing spell power gear you only have to armory the remaining 3 to check gems/enchants/progress. GS just cut your pug forming time in half.

But you'll ignore my clear example and repeat that its a horrible addon and you refuse to use it correctly because others use it incorrectly.

People use GS wrong all the time. I hate them too. But I'm glad they're embarrassing themselves in trade by asking for 5k for ToC because now I know they're idiots and I won't make the mistake of joining their raid. Win! The only way gearscore hurts you is if you WANT to raid with idiots or they aren't really asking for ridiculous scores so you want to raid with them but your gear truly isn't up to par.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how GS actually effects them. Sure, it makes you mad when you see people asking for gear in naxx but if you don't want to run with idiots then how are you actually effected?

---------- Post added 2010-06-28 at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Gearscore is fantastic. Because I know NOT to join the raids with people using it as the sole criteria for acceptance.
    The problem is that most people look at LFG requests for ICC saying minimum 5k GS and assume thats the only criteria. How do you know? Just because no one with less than 5K gets in doesn't mean everyone above 5K does.

This is basic logic 101 stuff people. "Now hiring one cook. Must be 18 years of age or older." Does that mean ALL they care about is that you're 18 and they assume everyone over 18 is going to be a skilled cook? They're going to talk to applicants, they're just letting you know that if you're under 18 you need not apply. "Need 1 dps for ICC. Must have at least 5K GS." Exact same thing. They aren't assuming that GS is all that matters and that everyone over 5k is skilled. They're just eliminating the majority of respondents with a simple criteria and then they'll take a closer look at the rest.

GS saves time. It's very convenient. All it ever tried to do was provide information about gear and it does that perfectly. How you use that info is up to you. I use it correctly. If you aren't smart enough to understand that then I don't really want to raid with you either. So we're both happy right?

---------- Post added 2010-06-28 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Yes because the triumph hit trinket boosts my DPS more on my paladin who is hit capped than DMC:G.
    The potential lying douchebags you describe also have ways to lie to you through GS. Inspect em or prepare to bring scrubs.

I personally don't have the mod and if people ask my GS I reply with "enough". This generally gets them to inspect me at least once and they'll see I do have enough.
    Like most people who hate GS you have no idea how it works. Yes, trinkets are THE example of a slot where bigger is sometimes not better(Greatness card vs triumph trinkets: The only argument against GS). And do you know how much that throws a persons GS off? Less than 40... out of 6000. And do you know whats really fucked up? GS lets you look at all of their gear and enchants with one click. Meeting them in a city somewhere and inspecting shows you the exact same trinket that gearscore does with one click of the mouse.

There is never a logcial fact based argument against gearscore. Only baseless accusations and exaggerations fueled by prejudice and misinformation. You don't THINK gs is bad. You FEEL that it is bad.

---------- Post added 2010-06-28 at 08:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stannislaus View Post
    With gearscore we have the same amount of successful pugs and a lot more unsuccessful pugs than we would have without it. The people willing to put the time in to check what gearscore does not are the ones who would be leading successful pugs anyway.
    Its not a choice between GS and armory. You use GS to weed out the people in blues. And then you armory the rest. Its about saving time.

As for your sig: If we're staying true to the analogy then the ugly girl is just as likely to have an std as the hot one. Or are you saying the more gear people get the dumber they become? Think that one through. And luckily there are more than two girls. Its not a choice between a bunch of smart people in blues and a bunch of dumb people in purples. That's ridiculous. How about we throw out all the people in blues, regardless of skill. Then sift through all the geared people and take the ones with skill. DING, GS just saved you a bunch of time.

And the quote in your sig... GS hides nothing. It gives you some information you did not previously have. A picture of a woman dose not tell you whether shes a bitch or not but that doesn't mean you shouldn't want to see a picture before you go out with her. Some info is better than none.
    Last edited by draticus; 2010-06-28 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    Because GS is NOT a sign of skill or experience. Just that peeps got gear... usually thru being kited by a handful of skilled geared peeps.
    Here is a recountof a recent ICC 25 pug.. WITH 25% raid buffs. I was almost denied a spot, but they couldn;t get the spot filled so I was in.

I am the Shammy at the top. In the first 4 fights.. the meters looked like this... I was in the top 3-4 everytime.. and mostly top 1 or 2. This was my entry level geared alt.. main is a mage that is 6k gs. I know the fights and I researched my toon.

I was the LOWEST gearscore in the raid... and mostly by a large margin... (ingame GS is about 2X what you see.. so I has 400-1000 lower than the rest.

All I see in trade is "Must have 5500 GS or better" all this is are peeps who don't know JACK about the game relying on a mythical figure from a lame azz addon to get people to kite them thru raids. What they get is mainly other peeps who have BEEN kited to get better gear.

People have come to rely WAYYYYY to much on GS... and they STILL aren't capable of downing anything requiring a little situational awareness. I'm not impressed with my own marginal performance in that 25% buffed raid... but was a FAR cry ahead of MANY MUCH better geared peeps.

Yeah.. Gearscore was used for this 25 man pug... and the skill level prevented us from getting past first 4. Plain and simple.. Gearscore is used by peeps who really don't KNOW what they are doing.

I can do the same amount of dps as you single target on my 4.4k gs enhancement shaman with my cds and totems up with no other buffs. That raid is fail.
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig

Quote Originally Posted by draticus View Post
    Its not a choice between GS and armory. You use GS to weed out the people in blues. And then you armory the rest. Its about saving time.

As for your sig: If we're staying true to the analogy then the ugly girl is just as likely to have an std as the hot one. Or are you saying the more gear people get the dumber they become? Think that one through. And luckily there are more than two girls. Its not a choice between a bunch of smart people in blues and a bunch of dumb people in purples. That's ridiculous. How about we throw out all the people in blues, regardless of skill. Then sift through all the geared people and take the ones with skill. DING, GS just saved you a bunch of time.

And the quote in your sig... GS hides nothing. It gives you some information you did not previously have. A picture of a woman dose not tell you whether shes a bitch or not but that doesn't mean you shouldn't want to see a picture before you go out with her. Some info is better than none.
    I look at health and mana bars to weed out players in blues. Really not that hard. Also I just thought the things in my sig were funny. I haven't sworn an oath to uphold the sanctity and validity of my sig quotes. I also weed out people who take this game too seriously as soon as I can pick myself up off the floor after getting critted by huge freaking walls of text.

---------- Post added 2010-06-29 at 04:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mosher94 View Post
    I can do the same amount of dps as you single target on my 4.4k gs enhancement shaman with my cds and totems up with no other buffs. That raid is fail.
    Lol I did 5.5k dps on a target dummy with no buffs and I forgot my fel armor. For the record wow-heroes score is just over 3k...dunnoa bout GS.
    Last edited by Stannislaus; 2010-06-29 at 05:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk_Fogg
    But don't worry guys... you're not going to Space Camp but at least you've got those remote control trucks and your confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olmec
    The player that conquers the most countries in sixty seconds, wins!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Gearscore

Quote Originally Posted by Stannislaus View Post
    I look at health and mana bars to weed out players in blues. Really not that hard.
    You see a warrior with 24k health. You have no way of knowing if thats due to this level of PVE gear or the fact that hes wearing really shitty PVP gear. I just glance at GS to see his gear and know for sure. Really not that hard. And actually accurate