Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

71 Point Arcane?

Greetings all my mages.

Just a quick question, i have a guy i know that specs into 71 point arcane....
    He is avid in thinking that it is competetive with a real arcane spec.
    His gemming is a mix of reds and oranges sp sp/haste.
    Also, the guy has excellent gear, over 6k. and pulls about 7-8k dps, with a 25% ICC buff. Which i know is way under what he should be doing. The guy has had this mage since release. And obviously logged quite a bit of PVP time at least because he has "of the Alliance". And the thing is he whines when his shitty guild cant down past Saurfang and hes sitting on top of the meters at 7k dps.

So, the question;
    Is this 71 point spec even close to good?

Another:
    How can i rationally explain to a complete moron that he needs to change his ways?

RESERVED PHRASES:

tl;dr
    wall of text
    cool story bro

------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I talked to the dude, and he basically said he doesnt care what people think or have to say, so that seems to me like he wouldnt mind me to post a armory link

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Fork+and+Spoon

Hes in pvp gear atm, but yo ucan see his 71 arcane spec.
    Last edited by Partsier; 2010-06-30 at 12:22 PM.

In no way shape or form is 71 points in arcane good. Cooldowns and free hit in frost, and 6% crit for AB at the top of fire. The reality is, 71 points means he has all pvp and pve options in the spec... the pvp skills are a complete waste.

Mages are a glass cannon in pve for a reason, they cant take a hit (but with a good tank, never should), but they dish it out. If your friend has a 6k GS, pulling 7k with the 25% buff, he is exactly the person people bitch about, where GEAR =/= skill. I dont care how many people he has killed, if he wants to stop pulling down his guild he needs to man up and take some advice.

Also... if a caster is top dps on Saurfang, he is either not switching to adds, or the melee suck ass too.

He may be gearscore stacking on top of it, but yeah he's missing out on 6% crit on AB's (Which is about 65-75% of his overall dmg) a free 3% hit (Arcane Mages get 6% from spec which allows us alot more freedom on gearing for SP/Haste), and Icy Veins, which is 20% haste + 0 pushback for 20 seconds every 2.4 mins.

Tell your friend he's wrong on so many levels, and his guild sucks - then again he fits into that guild if he thinks 71/0/0 is a competitive spec.

By comparison, I'm sitting shy of 6300 GS (Fuck GS but for a point of reference), and as Arcane I can push 15k DPS on HM Saurfang with normal RNG, 16.5k with good RNG - while switching to adds and making sure both adds on my side are dead before returning to Saurfang.

EDIT: We probably won't get it, but OP mind posting a link to said mages armory?
    Last edited by Heilige; 2010-06-28 at 08:18 PM.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Partsier View Post

Another:
    How can i rationally explain to a complete moron that he needs to change his ways?
    Just find a proper specced arcane mage with worse gear then his and made him/her to pug with this mage you are talking about. He will eventually understand why his talent choices are wrong. If he still doesnt understand or at least not curious why he/she outdpsed him, just let it go for the sake of your own sanity.

I missed that portion, but just take the first part of my post and put it into a T chart for him.

Ask him to explain what talents he's picked up to rationalize losing 6% AB Crit, 3% hit, and Icy Veins (with CD for IV and IB reduced).

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    71 points in one tree = can you read!?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Haha i see this all the time with different classes

dont think any class is good 71 specced

"I once laughed so hard. I milked all over the floor."

Mooie <Angelic Outkasts> - EU-Dragonblight

15+ Year Old Account

Angry

So, the question;

oh good god no. not even close by any stretch of the imagination.

Another:

i don't think trying to rationalize anything for someone who puts 71 points into a single tree is a good idea, unless your goal is to cause your brain to hemorrhage.
    :-(
    BfA Beta Time

No man, 71/0/0 sucks ass.

I roll with 5650 gearscore with terrible trinkets and still bust 9-10k on Sauerfang. Your friend is a baddie.

Try being straightforward with the guy and let him know he will easily add 2-3k to his meter if he would just spend the 5g and slap some of his points into frost. The pve sticky on these forums has a good arcane spec, its not hard and takes 2 minutes to change. Also, tell him everyone talks shit about him and calls him a baddie behind his back...
    Last edited by Excellent; 2010-06-28 at 10:54 PM.
    Don't ERP me bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Excellent View Post
    No man, 71/0/0 sucks ass.

I roll with 5650 gearscore with terrible trinkets and still bust 9-10k on Sauerfang. Your friend is a baddie.
    You're one to talk. You could pick up over 200 DPS if you went with Abyssal Rune, Talisman of Resurgence, and Band of the Invoker. All easily obtainable - not to mention you made hit boots when you don't need hit and are using LOL pants - Shoulda taken the saronites for the boots and put them towards Woven Death legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutlely...NOT! the spec is 57/3/11
    my armory btw i know my gear sucks deal with it but the spec is ok

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aman&cn=Belize

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    You're one to talk. You could pick up over 200 DPS if you went with Abyssal Rune, Talisman of Resurgence, and Band of the Invoker. All easily obtainable - not to mention you made hit boots when you don't need hit and are using LOL pants - Shoulda taken the saronites for the boots and put them towards Woven Death legs.
    Yeah thanks. Even with my lolpants and hitboots i handle myself pretty well. Good thing this thread is about the baddie spec and not my couple of baddie gearchoices that im already aware of. Good day sir.
    Don't ERP me bro!

You didnt even have to reserve those phrases...
    If a guy only pulls 7-8k dps with 6k GS (yeah i can do the math)
    I bet he is retarded enough to spec 71/0/0
    Especially as a mage... in ulduargear arcane mages did that dps..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Absolutlely...NOT! the spec is 57/3/11
    my armory btw i know my gear sucks deal with it but the spec is ok

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aman&cn=Belize
    so does your gemming and enchants :x
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

So, the question;
    No, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by therealpeni View Post
    so does your gemming and enchants :x
    Atleast he has got tons of resilience and hit rating

Who needs haste anyways ?

Oh make sure not to post on this thread unless you have BiS gear. Theres assholes looking to pick fights here.
    Don't ERP me bro!

Oh make sure not to post on this thread unless you have BiS gear. Theres assholes looking to pick fights here.
    Yeah idd :S thanks
    I hate people w/o bis gear

15+ Year Old Account
    i see one of said assholes when i look at your posts.
    BfA Beta Time