Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Clean out the PC.

I was told that my PC is a little too hot inside, it runs about 50 to 53 idle or when I visit websites like this, and when I play WOW it runs up to 58°C or higher. I was suggested to clean out the dust from my PC. I know to take the plug out of the wall, but how do I remove the dust? Do I need can of air?

lol

Also is it safe to leave the side of my PC open and have a fan blow inside?
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2010-06-28 at 09:01 PM.

you CAN clean it if you want to... 58*c isn't something to worry about. 70*c is however...

can of compressed air, mainly on the heatsinks for the cpu, graphics and chipset.

as for just opening it up and having a house fan blow on it, that would be super over kill for cooling but at the same time well worth it IF it's really needed which i don't see it to be with your temps.
    Current rig: Custom
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz
    MEM - 12gb DDR3 1866 @ 1876mhz / CL7
    VIDEO - HD5970 @ 950core / 1253memory w/ 10.10+10.10a profiles
    MB - ASUS Rampage III Extreme w/ BIOS 0903

Deleted
    Simply take out the screws on the Side panel (usually the left panel, facing the front of ur pc) and, carefully (while its all unplugged) with some anti-static equipment (suck as a rubber band attached to something) physically remove the dust from ur pc, even blow with ur lips. The rubber band thing is to stop damaging the parts via static electricity if im not mistaken? If temperature is still a problem, go to your local PC store and get a PC fan fitted.

Or if you want to be a cheap ass, use a house fan and park it next to the air vents in ur pc :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skuldarin View Post
    you CAN clean it if you want to... 58*c isn't something to worry about. 70*c is however...

can of compressed air, mainly on the heatsinks for the cpu, graphics and chipset.

as for just opening it up and having a house fan blow on it, that would be super over kill for cooling but at the same time well worth it IF it's really needed which i don't see it to be with your temps.
    LOL I have a small fan rotating on it, however I don't have the case open because I am not sure if that was safe.. But since that was suggested here I may give it a shot.

i tried to do this the other day, problem is some dust is stuck into basically lint rolls where you have to physically pull it. my blow can wasn't taking out most of it. seems like i'll probably have to take out each piece and put it back in again to clean mine well.

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    even blow with ur lips.
    This is NOT recommended you may get moisture on your parts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    This is NOT recommended you may get moisture on your parts.
    Well, if your lips are wet or you have an overly wet mouth, sure. Blowing into my hand, i dont feel any moisture personally.

Not everyone is you
    Don't give terrible advice.

Deleted
    Not everyone is you
    Don't give terrible advice.
    Not the best advice, granted, but hardly terrible.

This is from my BIOS.

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/23311532.jpg/

Why are only 2 fans out of 5 running?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I can picture it now:

Thank you for calling Dell customer support, how may I help you?

Well, I was blowing into my PC after thinking about yummy food and I saw a spark and now my computer won't turn on.

o.0

Guess you could always take a paper towel to your mouth before blowing.

Hardly terrible advice, I probably woulda had to buy about 10 new motherboards by now if it was.

My last PC.....

I was sleeping, getting ready to wake up for school. The alarm did not wake me up... CRACKLE POP BOOM BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and bright lights woke me up.. my PC like blew up or something. lol I concluded that it was me putting a graphics card the required too much watts in it. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Not the best advice, granted, but hardly terrible.
    While highly unlikely it is possible saliva could be transfered to your machine and a short could occur.
    Water and electric don't mix in case you didn't know.
    Therefore suggesting someone do something that could potentially harm,damage,or render their PC unusable is probably the worst information to give someone. Hopefully people arent that stupid and laughed at your advice like I did but just in case I posted to let you know how ridiculous you sound.

I opened my PC and noticed that a fan is unplugged. In fact, I noticed that a fan was unplugged when I added more RAM a few months ago, but I did not think anything of it, and that was the first time I ever opened the PC.

Is this fan something Alienware failed to plug in for me? I looked all over inside and could not find where it goes. If Alienware decided to not plug in this fan, they are going to lose allot of respect from me. Hopefully it just got knocked off during shipping or something. But for the life of me I can't find where it plugs in. lol

While highly unlikely it is possible saliva could be transfered to your machine and a short could occur.
    Therefore suggesting someone do something that could potentially harm,damage,or render their PC unusable is probably the worst information to give someone. Hopefully people arent that stupid and laughed at your advice like I did but just in case I posted to let you know how ridiculous you sound.
    Nah man it works with NES games and it works just as well with PC's.

Why are you trying to act all smart eh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    Nah man it works with NES games and it works just as well with PC's.

Why are you trying to act all smart eh?
    Probably because he's right. Manually blowing into your computer just isn't safe. Yeah, 95% of the time you might be ok, but do you really want to risk shorting out a $150 motherboard and $200 CPU because you were too cheap to get a $4 can of air?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I opened my PC and noticed that a fan is unplugged. In fact, I noticed that a fan was unplugged when I added more RAM a few months ago, but I did not think anything of it, and that was the first time I ever opened the PC.

Is this fan something Alienware failed to plug in for me? I looked all over inside and could not find where it goes. If Alienware decided to not plug in this fan, they are going to lose allot of respect from me. Hopefully it just got knocked off during shipping or something. But for the life of me I can't find where it plugs in. lol
    There should be available power connectors from your power supply or even split from another nearby fan. Just look for a matching plug (most likely a 4-pin molex... 4 pins, about 1/3 inch high by 1 inch wide, usually white).
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-06-29 at 06:22 PM.

lol dethh take a chill pil or 500
    its perfectly save to use your mouth, to get the dust away

no normal person has so much mouth water, so they can damage hardware and if you want to be a 100% safe, then wait 10 min. after you have blowen the case/hardware with your mouth

i do it all the time, if im out of compressed air and i have NEVER EVER burn of any of my hardware that way.

so laugh all you want, but it was not a stupid suggesting, to use your mouth to blow of dust
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Probably because he's right. Manually blowing into your computer just isn't safe. Yeah, 95% of the time you might be ok, but do you really want to risk shorting out a $150 motherboard and $200 CPU because you were too cheap to get a $4 can of air?
    And 99% of everyone else just thinks that's silly and overly paranoid. No one is suggesting you blow into any components with a mouthful of Cheetos...or even that it is an adequate substitution for a can of air...but to clear out a few dust bunnys it ain't going to hurt anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    And 99% of everyone else just thinks that's silly and overly paranoid. No one is suggesting you blow into any components with a mouthful of Cheetos...or even that it is an adequate substitution for a can of air...but to clear out a few dust bunnys it ain't going to hurt anything.
    Well, then have fun the one time shit goes wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Well, then have fun the one time shit goes wrong.
    To be completely honest, ive had decent computers for the past 5 years - ive taken the side off, and blown around to get the dust out every.... 3-4 months? i havent broke anything, as long as your not retarded and take a drink of water when u do it, its all good.