Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10

I'm thinking of making a group for this achiev with my guild. but i have a few questions for the people here who have done it...

what classes was your raid made up of?

which is the hardest achiev to do and why?

is there any parts where you'd need an extra class/tank/heals for whatever reason?

if i make a gs requirment just to make this go a little easier the first time, how low do you think is reasonable?

and if theres any tips or info you'd like to share that would be helpful

Make sure people know what they are doing. Like for example watch all Ulduar videos from TankSpot. Even though most of the place is brute-forceable in T10 badge gear with standard 2/3/5 setup, you will still wipe on some bosses if not done right. If you really want to talk about gearscore I think 4k-ish is pretty close to minimum you should try with first-timers and with that low gear you will need to follow proper strategies. Well over 5k is required to make it zergable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Firefighter, General and Yogg+1 will be the only ones you shouldn't /wrist if you wipe on. Even at that, current gear level makes them fairly trivial. Gogo 90-100k Arcane Blast crits on Vezax.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

I did it way before ToC arrived, in full 226 gear. I'm not sure what that equals to in Gearscore, but the gear is really irrelevant for your run. You need brains, not gear.

Second off, DK / warrior tanks, druid healer, priest healer or paladin healer (prolly won't need 3 healers when they have icc gear), fire mage, hunter, warlock etc etc.

It's really not that hard, if you are familiar with what classes give which buffs, like replenishment, raid wide 3% damage buff, spell crit, haste buffs, it shouldn't even be remotely hard. It was hard back then when people topped 7k DPS during BL / heroism. Now you can top 11k DPS on a dummy without a single buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Kpoof View Post
    Now you can top 11k DPS on a dummy without a single buff.
    I'd like to see you parse that over a span longer then 20 seconds.

Seriously.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

In high level gear honestly the ones you'll have trouble with (besides firefighter and yogg1) will be kologarn, freya and general. just because when we did kologarn we outdpsed him so much we killed him too fast lol, same with the freya and general, especially freya because you aoe kill so fast you can wipe the whole raid with those exploding lil plants :P

it can all be easily outgeared now, i did it back before ToC and all you need to do is stack melee. you'll be surprised what happens when you only bring 1 ranged DPS and 2 healers.

makes every hardmode accept mimiron a joke but thats more about staying out of fire then anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only hard fights would be the last 4, so gear around that.
    Freya is a nuke nowadays, however hunters and rogues make snaplashers much easier to kite (By MD'ing or TotT'ing), so either would be great.
    Mimiron is alot of raid dmg, 3 healing it would be best. Reactive healers like a resto shaman would be great, and a dk with frost presence can soak bomb bots in p3.
    General Vezax, not quite as hard.. A disc priest is very good for that fight, they can stand in the black puddles and spam shields.
    Yogg is quite a nuke as well, any bursty dps is good to have downstairs accompanied by a resto druid or enhance shaman for totems, depending on your makeup.
    If you're low on melee, a hunter is good for aspect of the pack.

As for gearscore, i highly don't recommend it. Mainly because you don't need high gearscore, however if you tell people "4.8k" they'll think
    a) You're going to fail or
    b) It's easy, and you will end up failing.

Try to specifiy that people need experience in ulduar, look at their gems and gear and determine if they're worthy off of that.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest issue doing this in 264+ gear (as I've found out recently) is Freya's adds. Unless you single target them, you run the very real risk of blowing up the raid. Everyone must know to stop DPSing Freya's adds when she does Ground Tremor, otherwise one streak of bad luck equals a whole bunch of dead raiders.

I haven't done Firefighter 10 or Yogg-1 10 yet, but we did them on 25 in starting ICC gear 5-6 months ago (...has it really been that long?), and that made them far, far more doable. Accidentally blowing up adds on Freya/Auriyaya and killing Kologarn too fast are extremely likely, enough that you should plan on needing at least 2 tries for the Auri and Kologarn achievements.
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; 2010-06-28 at 11:13 PM. Reason: clarity, added info
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    I'd like to see you parse that over a span longer then 20 seconds.
    Seriously.
    He was obviously exaggerating. I always tanked/healed, but I'm quite sure that 7-8k are totally doable on target dummy with current high-end gear.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

As was already said, raid comp probably doesn't matter so much with all the ICC-quality gear you probably have. The only fight that matters as far as raid comp goes is Yogg. You'll want to make sure you have classes who can dispel/decurse inside the brain room. I did yogg once where we were missing some form of dispel, and the 4 people going in had to wait to be cleansed before going in. What a pain in the ass that was.

Everything else has been said I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Franksredhot View Post
    As was already said, raid comp probably doesn't matter so much with all the ICC-quality gear you probably have. The only fight that matters as far as raid comp goes is Yogg. You'll want to make sure you have classes who can dispel/decurse inside the brain room. I did yogg once where we were missing some form of dispel, and the 4 people going in had to wait to be cleansed before going in. What a pain in the ass that was.

Everything else has been said I think.
    or just buy/make some http://www.wowhead.com/item=9030 which works great.

If you can just pay a top end guild on your server for the achievement imo. Easier than getting 9 other smart players together plus they can just carry u threw most of it.

If your going to go for it seriously find a group of 10 people you know, trust, and that know the fights at LEAST on normal sure you can pretty much clear zerg all of hardmodes here cept for a few but trust me you don't wanna be sitting at One light in the Darkness and loose all ur people cause it to hard and have to start over.

We still run it sometimes for new people who are missing things like one light or FF but we bring a Holy pally; restoshaman; MM hunter; Prot Warrior; Arms warrior with offspec prot; Disc priest with shadow offspec; fire/arcane mage; Boomkin; Ret Pally or a destro lock.

One light is by far the hardest because of the coordination of phase 1 have particle density all the way up along with projected tech-tiles turned on. We leave thorium up but some people like Freya for the sanity. Phase 2 is rough because of you have to dispel EVERYTHING off people especially poisons on mana based ppl and slows on brain roomers. We usually have me a hunter, arms warrior, a restoshaman, and either a rouge or ret pally go in to burn the brain in 1 run we blow bloodlust if we got 30 seconds up which usually gets him to 35%. Phase 3 is just rough because of your ranged on the boss to not be stupid and watch there sanity whenever he stares at ppl, what we did if some1 was under 25 sanity we would have the range dps turn around BEFORE he stares and just watch the COOLDOWN and when it was down the person with low sanity would immediately turn and wait for it to be over. This will not be a dps race we have over 5mins let when we killed him and we take our time in P3. We even 3 heal it to be on the safe side with a healer going in for dispells.

Firefight is rough just because of the coordination required and the healing intensive fight.
    Freya coordination once again. General is not hard just gotta be mana conserved till add spawns and stay in black ooze.

Need 2 tanks for some fights best to have a dps with offtank set. A healer with offspect dps for fights that can be 2 healed.

If your spaming trade chat looking for people and saying gearscore then ur fucked buddy. You may be able to outgear this place to hell especially when your in heroic icc gear like we were/are but you still can't be a dumbass here with new people. Just find friends/guildies you know or just pay a top end guild will make ur life much easier.

Like just about everyone has said so far, in typical ICC gear (10 and 25) you can force your way through the instance. I typically run groups quite often and we really don't stress any sort of special group comp at all. Having a ret pally who can go down in Yogg's room is great for the dispels, but other than that it's pretty much just standard stuff.

What a couple people have touched on, and what I would like to stress more than anything else, is make sure that above all else the people bring are competent and can listen to directions well. If you ignore all the fights that gear can nullify then you're left with some simple things like DPS being coordinated at killing Freya's 3 pack at the same time, moving around efficiently and effectively to control fire on Mimiron, being "smart" enough to move quickly for life leech / shadow crash. Things like that will make this otherwise easy 310% mount a hassle that will make you want to pull your hair out. But like I said, if your group has people who can pay attention and don't have an attention span of 3 seconds then you'll be good to go.

As far as Yogg goes, I haven't had any experience with leaving Freya up over Thorim. I know it's viable, but we prefer to have guardians die in P3.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you come across problems with Yogg (specifically with your portal group in P2) it may be because you might be sending ranged down in there. From what I have seen the skull spawns in the portal rooms are not ranged friendly at all. Typically we send in 3 melee dps and one hunter just for the aspect of the dazed after all the tentacles are down.

Bonus tip: When your portal group finishes the tentacles and is in the brain room of Yogg with >35 sec left, you can have a shaman on the "outside" group run up to the edge of Yogg and pop BL/ Hero and the portal group will get the buff.
    Last edited by ZeroX982; 2010-06-29 at 10:58 AM.