Antiquated loot rolls etiquette is retarded

Sometimes people hold on to etiquette that is pointless and even destructive. For instance... when something drops that everyone should have an equal right to, such as a mount, many people insist that everyone roll greed. This is retarded! If everyone rolls need then everyone has an equal chance at it. If everyone rolls greed then you're just inviting someone to ninja it. There is no upside whatsoever to greeding universal items. "Because thats the way its done" is the worst reason to ever do anything in life. It means you're a robot who doesn't think about things for yourself and instead does whatever they've been told by others no matter how destructive it is.

Another retarded example of etiquette are the various forms of "You should pass and then ask." Let me introduce you to two of my friends: Mr Disenchant button, and Mr BoPs can be traded now. If I pass or roll greed it becomes a shard. If I roll need and then sort it out later it can be traded. Passing on items runs the risk of losing it forever to a shard. Needing items you want runs the risk that you might have to open a trade window. Which is worse?

In all areas of life, do things because they make sense, never because "Thats just the way its done."

10+ Year Old Account
    Your server not mine.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

lol you seem to have been rcenetly shafted i guess?
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Welcome to last year. I don't usually have this problem because I generally roll need/greed/DE as soon as the box comes up. If anyone pisses and moans well tough luck for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk_Fogg
    But don't worry guys... you're not going to Space Camp but at least you've got those remote control trucks and your confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olmec
    The player that conquers the most countries in sixty seconds, wins!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    My Guess?

I don't see what complaining to us is going to solve. Humans are creatures of habit. Don't expect anything to change on the ancient ways of loot rolling.
    Last edited by Garam; 2010-06-29 at 05:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably farming Leather to fund my mount habit
    Quote Originally Posted by TheParafernalia View Post
    Your server not mine.
    Pretty much this. People on my server/battlegroup know that if you want something, need it. It cuts down on ninjas and makes sense.

If u don't want to roll greed or pass, just need it. How hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    How could I get shafted by rolling need?

I wrote this because a LOT of people still have strange ideas about loot etiquette. And beyond that, people hold on to policies and opinions in wow and in real life that have no basis other than "because." Asking people to re-examine their perspective and learn to think for themselves is in no way a QQ.

Its very difficult to have any intelligent conversation around here because you have to wade through all the contrary kids who would feel the need to post and disagree/flame someone who said the sky is blue.

What i posted is true. There are many people who haven't realized that yet so I was talking to them. If you aren't one of those people then I'm not talking to you. If this thread is not relevant to you then don't post in it.

I understand the logical argument that no one NEEDS that rare mount or whatever but I also understand the practical argument that the mechanics of the game make everyone NEEDing the safest option. My server always greeded on orbs in Heroics and it worked fine. No real problems with people ninjaing them etc. Once the random dungeon finder came out that quickly changed to needing as we seemed to have some servers on the BG where that was the standard and I did see cases of people ninjaing.

Personally, for something big, like a rare mount drop, I will wait and suggest in chat that everyone need as it is the safest option.

seems to me your server is out-dated.

need on mounts.
    need if you need.
    otherwise greed/de/pass.
    It's just a game.

It's not a server wide problem. Its a lack of consistency. The last time I saw this discussed on these forums a lot of people still said you should greed role and everyone should be trusted to not hit DE. Hopefully the lack of that in this thread means the MMO forum goers have evolved but I suspect the people who still cling to the old rules are just afraid to speak up since the majority has already said you should need.

Or, if I want to be really optimistic, maybe they read my post and it actually changed their minds... lol jk.

if its a raid, and loot actually matters, it should always be on ML.
    if its not a raid, who cares ?

I agree about mounts and such, but on other items you don't roll need and then sort it out, you should ask first and if no one minds then you can hit need. No need to greed if you need that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    if its a raid, and loot actually matters, it should always be on ML.
    if its not a raid, who cares ?
    This comes up in VoA, any time the RL forgets ML, and in any old run where loot doesn't matter at all but then a mount drops.

---------- Post added 2010-06-29 at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rantus View Post
    I agree about mounts and such, but on other items you don't roll need and then sort it out, you should ask first and if no one minds then you can hit need. No need to greed if you need that way.
    When you ask if you can need for offspec people will often tell you to pass and then take it if no one else needed. Obviously this doesn't work thanks to DE but there are a lot of people out there that will defend this policy and say its up to people to not hit DE and you should still greed or pass for offspec.
    Last edited by draticus; 2010-06-29 at 04:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Agree somewhat. Although 90% of the pugs I've been in use master loot. Then again I don't pug often.

I do think there should be a raid leader option to disable the disenchant button. Even if you tell people not to click DE someone always makes a mistake and does it by accident.

I think the roll interface should have 4 options - Main spec > Off spec > Vendor = DE. Problem solved. Then the raid leader can turn on an option that lets them accept or reject the winner of each roll. If it pops up and says the Mage rolled main spec and won the roll for the melee trinket the master looter can hit reject and it then pops up the dialogue for the second highest roller. IMO this would be a much more convenient alternative to the current master looter setup which often takes a lot more of the raid leaders time than is necessary.

The only issue I still see from time to time.. .is peeps getting upset if you roll need for an offset peice and someone else rolls need for it as mainspec.

Sorry peeps.. but this is an LFG system pug.. I am pugging it for offset gear as much as the other person is pugging it for mainspec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Robot arms apartment building, New New York
    tbh iv never had any trouble with loot, and i always always pug everything. Just need/greed/DE intelligently and keep an eye on what the rest of thee group are doing. Like before Frost orbs went auto-greed, id always wait till last and see what everyone was rolling, usually someone wud hit need and try to ninja it. I have noticed a slight increase in would-be ninjas since the new LFD came out, and i can only attribute this to the cross server interaction adding another layer on anonymity