Spirit & Reforging

Hey folks,

Some time ago some Blizzard Representative said that it would be possible for players to reforge spirit on items to their desired combat stat (of course with the same penalty). Assuming that this feature does go live I am wondering about what effect this would have for the healers.

When you are pugging via the dungeon finder as healer (lets take the holy/disc priest for example) you might be competing to other cloth dps-casters aswell, since they can simply need on the same stuff and reforge it after to their preferred stats, but this doesn't go the other way around I believe.

How do you think this will turn out? Will it be nothing to worry about or will healers just need to endure the initial gear run?

You can't remove all of a stat with reforging. I think it was only something like 50% of the stat can be turned into a different stat. You'll also be able to both add and remove some spirit with reforging, so I'm not sure how healers are in a worse position than anyone else. Actually, they'll probably be better off than DPS casters in this regard because they'll be able to make some use of every stat, while spirit will be almost completely worthless for most DPS casters.

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    You can't remove all of a stat with reforging. I think it was only something like 50% of the stat can be turned into a different stat. You'll also be able to both add and remove some spirit with reforging, so I'm not sure how healers are in a worse position than anyone else. Actually, they'll probably be better off than DPS casters in this regard because they'll be able to make some use of every stat, while spirit will be almost completely worthless for most DPS casters.
    Please stop posting when you don't know what you're talking about.

You can reforge spirit? I wasn't aware of that, I thought only stats like Crit and Hit could be reforged.

And in terms of Reforging, as far as the mildly ambiguous text describes, you take 40% of Stat A and put it into Stat B, so you end up with 60% of Stat A and 40% of Stat B on the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Please stop posting when you don't know what you're talking about.
    "The way it works is, instead of being tied to trade skills, now there are NPCs in the major cities. You go to this NPC and tell them you want to reforge an item. The interface opens and you place the item in it. It then asks you to pick a stat to reduce, and then pick a stat to add. You can’t use primary stats like agility, strength and intellect, but you can use all of the secondary stats like hit, crit, haste, parry, dodge, things like that. Then you reduce one of the stats by – at the moment it’s 40% but to make the example easier, say it’s 50%. If you have 100 crit, you reduce that by 50, that then gives you 50 points to put on, say, hit." - Ghostcrawler, June 13, 2010

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games...taclysm/page3/

"We don't want players changing Agi, Str, Stam or Int (or armor!) on items for probably obvious reasons, but converting Spirit to something else or something else into Spirit shouldn't be a problem." - Ghostcrawler, June 14, 2010

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/25399...econdary-stat/

10+ Year Old Account
    This may seem like a stupid question, but do we get 40 of x stat, or 40 points of x stat?

I.e, if i take, say 40 points from parry, and put it into stam, do I get 40 stam, or 60 stam, as 40 item points is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Varuni View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question, but do we get 40 of x stat, or 40 points of x stat?

I.e, if i take, say 40 points from parry, and put it into stam, do I get 40 stam, or 60 stam, as 40 item points is worth?
    You won't be able to add the core stats (stam, agi, int, etc). From what I understand, though, the others -will- be point for point. I.e. if something has 60 hit on it, you can get rid of 30 hit and add 30 haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Varuni View Post

Reforging does not change the item level of the armor. Therefore if you take out 20 ilvl worth of stat a, you must add 20 ilvl of stat b to keep the item at the same ilvl.

To reforge you need to have those stat's already there, you can only adjust them. For instance, you can't add spirit to a caster item that doesn't have spirit on it already, but you can reduce stam on an item and add spirit if it already had it.

I'm guessing this will mostly come in handy for classes with a spirit->hit conversion (boomkin/elem) prob, and healers. Like someone mentioned, the item prob has to keep it's same item level, so -20 stam would prob be like +8 spirit, or +20 int.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you could take away the green stats and add the white stats or the green stats. I'm wondering because, well, Blizzard have done wierder things.

The way that I think about this is that it helps with potentially over hit-capping for elemental shamans and balance druids. They are required to wear healing gear (with spirit) and with the help of talents, that spirit is turned into hit. Well, we all know that being 4% over the hit cap does nothing and hurts dps. Reforge spirit? Problem solved for them.

Also, I believe I saw a blue post stating that spirit may indeed be a core stat, but it functions like the others (i.e. crit and haste). Maybe this has something to do with their decision to allow spirit to be reforge-able?

No one in this thread is accurate, at least not as far as Blizzard has been concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    Reforging will be done by NPCs in cities, it will let you reduce a secondary stat by 40% and put those points into a different stat. Secondary stats are pretty much any "rating" stats, you cannot reforge primary stats such as Strength, Stamina, Intellect, etc ...
    Spirit is a primary stat, and will not be reforgable. You can turn 100 hit into 40 haste, if that means you lose all 100 hit or are left with 60 hit is hard to say with the explanation we've got so far, but most likely you would see something like this:

100 int
    100 stam
    100 crit
    100 haste

would turn into

100 int
    100 stam
    60 crit
    140 haste

Only time will tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Niea View Post
    No one in this thread is accurate, at least not as far as Blizzard has been concerned.
    Spirit is a primary stat, and will not be reforgable. You can turn 100 hit into 40 haste, if that means you lose all 100 hit or are left with 60 hit is hard to say with the explanation we've got so far, but most likely you would see something like this:
    Please meet:

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    "We don't want players changing Agi, Str, Stam or Int (or armor!) on items for probably obvious reasons, but converting Spirit to something else or something else into Spirit shouldn't be a problem." - Ghostcrawler, June 14, 2010

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/25399...econdary-stat/
    Thank you, Kab, for doing your homework.

Spirit is a primary stat, and will not be reforgable.
    There is a blue post that was on the front page stating that you will be able to reforge spirit.

100 int
    100 stam
    100 crit
    100 haste

would turn into

100 int
    100 stam
    60 crit
    140 haste

Only time will tell though.
    Considering that most of the people in this thread were actually right, with blue posts to back it up, you really missed the mark. Don't post false information when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Thanks for providing the links to the sources Kabshiel. Something I was wrong about is that I thought that spirit could only be converted in something else and not back into spirit again. It makes all the difference of course, it means healers can also roll on items that were designed for the dpsers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeco View Post
    it means healers can also roll on items that were designed for the dpsers.
    An item purely for DPS would be one with hit on it. Since you cannot remove a stat entirely, it will still have hit on it after reforging.
    So a hit item will still be a dps item, and spirit items will still be healing items, despite reforging.

(Nevertheless it can be an upgrade for a healer to take a hit item and reforge some of the hit to spirit ofc, but it will never be optimal, and will be frowned upon if a dpser also needed the item.)