2 question: new gaming laptop suggestion and netbook optimize

Hello I have 2 questions in 1 thread.

3 years ago I bought a Sager gaming laptop for around 1600. It is an OK laptop for games, but now it seems every latest game runs horribly on it(even wow unless i do lowest settings). it also overheats like crazy. my parents said they would get me a new one for college, and was wondering if you guys had a suggestion for a gaming laptop.

some things i would consider though
    -under 2000
    -more than 200gb HDD would be nice(thats what i have now)
    -touch screen would be cool(studio art major)
    -not as much heat
    -plays wow on full settings with 60 fps at least

And my other question is about my netbook. It currently had windows 7, and i have WOW on it. it runs with 14 FPS while outside of cities, and 7 in cities. that is OK but i was wondering if perhaps i installed mac OS, it would run smoother or if windows 7 would be the best. also if you have any accelerator programs for my netbook :P
    thank u. if you have questions you can ask

Quote Originally Posted by jereminion View Post
    Hello I have 2 questions in 1 thread.

3 years ago I bought a Sager gaming laptop for around 1600. It is an OK laptop for games, but now it seems every latest game runs horribly on it(even wow unless i do lowest settings).

And my other question is about my netbook. It currently had windows 7, and i have WOW on it. it runs with 14 FPS while outside of cities, and 7 in cities. that is OK but i was wondering if perhaps i installed mac OS, it would run smoother or if windows 7 would be the best.
    1600 is about what you need to pay for good gaming laptop today too. Touchscreen is novelty thing still and as far as I know there aren't any gaming laptops with one. Also heat is kinda unavoidable with high-performance CPU/GPU.

Netbooks are shit for games because those are optimized for low power consumption and low weight, both make high performance CPU/GPU impossible. Nothing you can stick into netbook will make it run games fast.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The MSI GX740 is an excellent gaming notebook for $1399,99.
    Just look it up at newegg ;-)

thank you both.

i saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtF3d5i24c

he is playing crysis on the laptop you suggested. the FPS is less than 30 on max settings

is it possible to get a higher quality notebook for less than 2000?

he is running a 64 bit instead of 32 bit, does that matter for gaming?

thanks again

i might consider this one if you have any concerns please tell me

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114806
    Last edited by jereminion; 2010-06-30 at 04:57 AM.

he is running a 64 bit instead of 32 bit, does that matter for gaming?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114806
    32/64 bit does not make any difference for performance right now since games aren't 64bit optimized in any way, but it will change in near future. Only difference it makes in gaming PC is the available RAM and even that is not a problem with current games yet but will change in near future.

Specs on that laptop you linked look pretty nice, probably will run games just fine. Try google for more reviews, especially if somebody commented about WoW performance since that's what you want.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend the Asus G73JH-A1 : http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-...wconfigure=yes

It comes with a Intel Core i7 720QM, 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870 w/1GB GDD5, two 500GB HDDs (no raid support =[ ), a 4x Blu ray drive, a matching Asus backpack, a matching Asus-Razer mouse, and Windows Home 7 64 pre-installed. Also, Asus provides a 1 year Accident Warranty, meaning if your PC breaks because of a power surge, being dropped, spilling a fifth of vodka on it, etc., they'll replace it for you.

The one major downside, however, is that they're on backorder because they're so popular right now. But, if you don't mind the wait, it's hands down the best bang for you buck in the sub-$2000 price range.

[Edit]

I just looked at the PC you linked. Compared to this ASUS, that Toshiba is way overpriced. You get more RAM, more HDD space, and a far better video card with the ASUS, and for less money to boot. With the money you would save with the ASUS, you could replace the second HDD with a 80gb SSD (14 GB larger than the one on the Toshiba), and it would still cost less.
    Last edited by Finangus; 2010-06-30 at 03:59 PM.

TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q880 (link to newegg)
    This might be an interesting option aswell:
    ASUS G Series G73JH-A2 (newegg)

It is 1.1" smaller, which isn't that bad, coz 18.4" is pretty big for a laptop, you don't want to carry it around all day. Also this one has more hard drive space (~440GB). Downside of that is that you won't have a SSD, which means longer loading times for the games installed on it, but since 560GB is filled up so quickly i advice the 1TB, or get a external HDD. The Asus laptop also has 2gb more ram, and a slightly better GPU. Also, the Asus laptop is $150,- cheaper. The toshiba laptop has a bluray drive, but right now there is no real use for it, you'll hardly notice difference between a bluray quality movie and a dvd movie on a 18.4" screen.

Basicly it comes down to this, a bigger screen, a blueray player and an SSD vs 2GB more ram, a slightly more powerfull GPU, more hard drive space and $150,-

While others have answered your first question, I'm gonna answer your second question:
    To optimize my computers, I use TuneUp Utilities 2010 and it works like a charm.
    My computers have never been running so fast as they do now (Maybe besides the first day I got them... :P). It's simply an excellent tool, that anyone should have. My favorite feature is its auto optimization feature. Whenever you go AFK for a few mins, it starts optimizing, when you return, it stops. And its live optimization feature is very nice too.. My programs have never started as fast as they do now, since I installed it.
    Here comes to dark side: It is not freeware.
    But I'm sure you are ale to get it free.. Somehow.
    You could of course buy it.. It's worth the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a look at http://www.alienware.com/ they are pretty outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    Have a look at http://www.alienware.com/ they are pretty outstanding
    'Overpriced' is the word I'd use. Alienware computers are Dells and you pay few hundred extra for fancy case.
    Trolling should be.

Check out iBuypower.com. They have several models in your price range and you can get the touch screen if you really want it.

I haven't used them personally but they seem to have a good rep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    'Overpriced' is the word I'd use. Alienware computers are Dells and you pay few hundred extra for fancy case.
    Alienware are not dells they were bought by Dell, big difference. Please show me a branded laptop that performance wise with gameing in mind goes toe-to-toe with Alienware.

Alienware are not dells they were bought by Dell, big difference. Please show me a branded laptop that performance wise with gameing in mind goes toe-to-toe with Alienware.
    Alienware PC's are made with standard components except the case, there's nothing special in those. It's like Mac, you pay extra for the brand, the iImage and the sleek case.

Both Acer and Asus makes better gaming laptops in price/power ratio.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware PC's are made with standard components except the case, there's nothing special in those. It's like Mac, you pay extra for the brand, the iImage and the sleek case.

Both Acer and Asus makes better gaming laptops in price/power ratio.
    All laptops are more or less made with the same components there are two/three Taiwanese/Chinese OEM's that produce most of them. Looking at price to power ratio is pretty fuzzy. It boils down to how much performance you are willing to sacrifice in relation to cost. If you are looking at performance for gameing in the 15' range Alienware is pretty unrivaled. I mean just google best gaming laptop and read the reviews and comparisons made.

If you are looking at performance for gameing in the 15' range Alienware is pretty unrivaled. I mean just google best gaming laptop and read the reviews and comparisons made.
    Alienware M17x configured to match this $1600 Asus from NewEgg costs $2374 from Dell's online store.

Same basic hardware: i720QM 1.6Ghz, Mobility Radeon 5870, 500GB HDD, 8GB RAM, 17" FullHD monitor and ~50% more expensive. That's what I mean by Alienware being overpriced.

edit: Even M15x model goes well over $2k with configuration matching as close as possible.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-05 at 04:47 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Alienware M17x configured to match this $1600 Asus from NewEgg costs $2374 from Dell's online store.

Same basic hardware, i720QM 1.6Ghz, Mobility Radeon 5870, 500GB HDD, 8GB RAM, 17" FullHD monitor and ~45% more expensive. That's what I mean by Alienware being overpriced. Even M15x model goes well over $2k with configuration matching as close as possible.
    Processor speed is absolutely pants though, sure its turbo mode will go upto like 2.2ghz, even then its pretty bad. Ditch the i7 for a 3.0ghz i5 with a turbo of like 3.5ghz, and your onto a winner.