Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    How to tell a IRL friend they are bad
    "You suck dude!..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Send that bitch a smiley face...Bitches loooove smilie faces.
    Sigg'd!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Send that bitch a smiley face...Bitches loooove smilie faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kysimir View Post
    Sigg'd!
    Bahahah I'm flattered. All credit goes to the fine folks on Adult Swim though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2eOGZzRGI

Quote Originally Posted by The Painkiller View Post
    Begin by taking her out to a fancy restaurant. Compliment her constantly and refuse to not pay for it all. Next take her to a romantic movie, and do the old yawn hand to shoulder trick. Finally go back to her place and open a bottle of wine. Get her to talk about how stressful her work is and begin massaging her shoulders. Let the wine do it's magic and take her upstairs. Slowly seduce her into your arms. And as your caressing her hips and taking off her clothes, whisper in her ear "You suck at WoW".

I lol'ed.

Wen a friend of mine played horrible i used said. Tell me how do you play <insert class> I watched abit then I saw the problem I asked if i may try it and i did 3 times his dps xD he was like wowshit how do you do that and i told him and now he still stuck:P because he dies in fires but if he stays alive his dps is always 6k+. He also was a mage.
    Last edited by Philenia; 2010-06-29 at 10:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    since you wont link her armory, maybe you can use the wowhead profiler (http://www.wowhead.com/profile&new) to make an exact copy of her gear, gems, enchants, spec and glyphs. this way she will remain anonymous and we will be able to see what we are dealing with.

OT: Just say something like "Hey, did you know that if ..." or "I heard that Glyph of-X / Y-talent / gemming Z is great for your spec". Dont say she's bad, just give her random advice that might help her. But only if she wants to improve

sounds like someone needs a bigger epeen to impress his girlfriend.
    m8 its a game, the more fun casual playeers have, the more people play the game.
    the more people play the game the more money blizz has to develop pro things.

and thats a good deal for everyone imo

Apart from the spell ranking thing, which should be checked, you should have a look at her addon setup. Don't do anything drastic, there's no need for a complete UI overhaul or anything, just check out if she's got a castbar addon of some sort.

If not, get Quartz on there ASAP. Explain to her that the red zone on the Quartz bar tells her when her next button press should be. Let her know that this helps her combat lag. It will also have the added bonus of getting her in the habit of stringing spells together with little or no gap between casts, which is a major cause of poor dps.

The other thing to make sure is that she's spellcasting with keybindings, even if it's just hitting the default hotbar buttons 1-4 for her most used spells. If she's clicking those buttons while keyboard turning (or clicking to cast while mouse-moving) it'll really hurt.

As for the actual saying stuff, well, be diplomatic, but don't wrap it up in too much bullshit. "Listen, I was thinking about your Mage and was wondering if we could work on getting some better numbers out of her?" That kind of thing. Put it all in positive terms, not negative. Yes, it's practically using marketing-speak, but people really do respond differently to "We can make you better" than to "You're doing badly".

I would've thought telling a RL friend they suck would be easier.. just tell her to research rotations and stuff more, send her to mmo champ mage stickies and EJ if they are up to date on mages.

If it's someone you know in real life, say something along the lines of "I researched into mages the other day, thinking of rolling one. Did you know if you do this, you could increase your dps quite a bit?" - constructive criticism that doesn't make you sound like you're telling someone how to play is much more likely to be taken on board, and even if your friend doesn't take your advice, you'll know that you've at least tried.

I would suspect that she is:

-moving wrong
    -moving too much
    -dying
    -oom sometimes
    -wanding
    -spec'd 71/0/0

otherwise IDK how its possible with ABx4 and Missiles. I mean, that's wrong if that's all she's doing, but it wouldn't be THAT wrong.

Usually my friends can take about anything i can say to them, but i guess that´s not for everyone, so.

First, inform yourself about her class/spec enough so you can give her advice.
    Now, the next time you go to a raid/dungeon with her take a look at her DPS, if it´s low you simply tell her something like "With that gear/spec/whatever you could be pulling more DPS" (choose the words that sound more like you) and just wait to see if she´s actually interested in doing more DPS, if she is give her advice slowly, not chunk everything you know in one whisper, go into general class matters first (spec, rotations, gems), then general wow things (spell ranks, positioning, movement, casting times), if that doesn´t work go into PC matters (FPS, Lag, Video/Display preferences like buffs, input lag, etc) or gaming "skills" (Does she waits too much in between spells, Does she takes long to realice about procs, Does she keeps good Trinket/Cd uptime, things like that). Always be patient.

If your advice don´t work, then tell her to review some sites or give her some videos that teach her how to DPS.

Now, if she´s not interested in doing more DPS or be given advice, tell her that she needs to if she actually wants to do good Raiding, be invited into raids or perform better in the PVE enviroment. Or if she´s competitive tell her that you´ve seen other mages do this crazy-high DPS or whatever.

If she´s really not into learning anything, then well, raiding is not everyone, nor gaming o being competitive.

Something else that's odd, my sister and I have the same exact Draenei Mages, her Gearscore is much higher, same talent setup, top rank spells, I have a couple better pieces of gear with more gems/enchants but it doesn't compare to her T9 and my T7.

I do 1k more dps than she does. It's very weird, even with the same rotation. She has more spellpower, Haste, Crit, everything.

Just say it straight up, if they get cut then tell them to stop being bad. Winnar

You could be objective about it. Like, list the things she has done really well so far:
    • Logging on!
    • Making a Character (and on the right realm/faction!)
    • Flailing at the keyboard until she dinged 80!

Then you go over what isn’t going so well with something well worded… I.e.
    “Now, I don’t want to take anything away from you here since you’ve done really well so far… Buuuuuut, to be honest it has gone rapidly downhill from there. L2P (,you scrub <- Optional insult for extreme cases of fail).”

Then you distract her with some happy things:

“ <3 :3 :> <|:*) xoxoxox”

Her reactions will be (in order to the smileys etc):
    AWH! HURRAY! HEHE! HURRRRR! OH WOW IVE NOT SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE! KISSHUGKISSHUGKISSHUGKISS! Wtf? NEVER END ON A KISS, RAWRRRRRFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Helpful post was helpful... ????????

Dude, just send her to this thread.

Tell her WoW is not the game for her, shes better off in the kitchen. If she says shes already playing in the kitchen tell her to uninstall WoW immediately and make a sammich.

Ok srs post lawl... tell her to clear her action bar and put 1 as arcane blast, 2 as arcane barrage, 3 evocate, 4 mana gem, and if shes actually getting the hang of damage then bind blink and iceblock. Problem solved! If she still has problems then she seriously needs to stop raiding and stick to RP.

Say something along the lines of,

"Hey, your gear is fine, and your rotation is correct. The reason you die to stuff and your dps is bad is because you don't care enough to pay attention to little things like hitting your arcane missiles at the right time and knowing when to Arcane Barrage aswell as when to Evocate and use your Mana Gems. You're a good friend, but you're making yourself look silly and in turn are making me look silly and in turn are greatly diminishing our chances of defeated the simplest of encounters.

This video game is not for you, go buy a Wii and play some Mario Sports, because pressing 4 buttons is obviously beyond your capabilities. P.S. You make all women gamers look terrible, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go make me a pie."

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitans View Post
    I have a real life friend that plays an arcane mage. Her gear is somewhat decent ~5.2k gearscore level.

The problem, is that in 25 mans she pulls like 2.5k.

Don't want to link her armory and sell her out, but she is hit capped, and wearing PVE gear.

The rotation she uses is arcane blast x4, then arcane missiles. Is there something that i am missing, or does anyone have (helpful) suggestions?

I would like to help her, but where is the point that you give up and just call her bad?
    What kind of computer does your friend have ? Does she lag at all in 25 mans that you know of ? If you're lagging during a 25man raid I find it a lot more difficult to DPS as a range than say a melee.

What kind of DPS does she do in 10 mans and heroics ? Next time you're in a 25man raid with her run recount and look at the "activity" portion of a fight. If she's the lowest number on the list shes either being a baddie and needs to press buttons more or shes lagging so much that she cant aka her DPS sucks ?

10+ Year Old Account
    dont be a bitch and just do it like a man(or woman) jk

seriously tho just do it carefully and try to not be too harsh also listen to everyone else on here they seem to be pretty right.