Massive spikes randomly ocuring

Hey everyone, been thinking about asking this for a while now, as my own attempts at finding a solution on the interwebs have been quite futile.

It's not like I have a top-of-the-line setup, but for taking care of WoW, I have a pretty baller rig. I've got a pretty decent processer, 5 gigs of ram (2x2048 and 2x512 ECC) and a 9800GT. Running Vista and besides the occasional browser, MSSE for antivirus, as I find it uses a lot less memory than Avast!, that I've now retired.

My wife sits on a 3 year old HP laptop that does force her visual setting to be quite lower than my own, but I do mention her, because she does not experience the following:

At random, I will have a sudden surge of latency, blocking all actions for up to 3-4 seconds at a time. My wife, at the meantime, get through just fine, never even noticing a change, even though we are of course on the same wireless network, right next to each other.

I'm thinking this is not a wow-specific problem, as I do experience the same problem with our Ventrilo server. If someone talks for about 10 seconds or so, there will be a 2-3 second interruption, and then stream will then continue.

Anyhow, I hope someone has a suggestion or two to as what might be causing this problem.

Regards,
    Lindvahn - Burning Steppes (EU)

Deleted
    I had this problem a few weeks ago. The first time it went away was when i repaired WoW and downgraded my graphics drivers. it worked perfectly for the rest of the day. Then the next day i had huge lag spikes again. Then i run another WoW repair.. it worked again for a little while. But once again the next day the lag was there. Then i ran a virus scan and removed 2 trojans. Then the lag was gone. BUT ONCE AGAIN the next day it was there again. So i was like: "oh damn i cant even be bothered with this anymore" And the next day the lag was gone for good.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    try to upgrade your network card......... that could be the problem or you could have to many things runnig at the same time and your system has problem computing it all at the same time and therefor your network jobs gets set on hold for a few seconds

i realy don`t think it has any thing to do with gfx, when it does the same thing on ventrilo.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: