Thread: New Hunter

New Hunter

Hello everyone when the servers decide to stop being down in a couple of hours I am going to start gearing up my new 80 hunter, since I am starting a new hunter I was wondering where a good place to start would be(ie. go for a new bow/gun or specific pieces of gear to look for) I plan to be survival as I believe it will put out the most dps as a new 80 and I overall enjoy the spec. I do also have a main so I do have the opportunity to get crafted items quite easily including some of the 264 crafted pieces, also feel free to share any tips or little things that would be nice to know about hunters in general, also any addons that would be key to a hunter (not general addons such as dominos or omen, I am talking about the more class specific addons).

Thank you
    ps. Try to stay away from the "loloololol don't roll hunter" or "u iz bad" posts

When I first started one of the things I focused on was getting the xbow from H UK, though now getting the one from H PoS would be even better. And check your auction for the ilvl 264 tanking gun. It may have tank stats on it, but it is going to give you alot more dps than any other weapon before icc. But just keep running heroics and start gathering as many emblems as you can, and get your 4pc t10 as fast as you can, while filling in the other slots with triumph gear.

First, depending on your weapon, pick up the 264 tank gun if money is not an issue for you. It may seem scrubby, but the raw Ranged DPS upgrade from whatever outweighs stats from other guns. Then work on getting a 264 Stakethrower, Zod, or other weapons from H ICC 10 or ICC 25 pugs or whatever you can get your hands on.

Second, you say you are a fresh 80, so get the Crafted pants and boots. These are good. Pants are also the one piece of T10 loot that you don't want. Find a Wodin's Lucky Necklace if you can.

Third, 2-piece T10 > The Badge cloak. Keep that in mind.

If you go MM, refresh your Serpent Sting during an Exploit Weakness proc and don't let it fall off.

As for glyphs, if you are highish on ArP (750ish)you want Aimed Shot over Chimera Shot and you want that in front of your shot priority. However, the greatest thing about Chimera Shot glyph is that you can roll 2 Serpent Stings on two different targets (CS outshines AS glyph on Putricide for sure).

If you can plan it, Snake Trap and Explosive Trap before the pull (Beasts, LJ, DBS, LDW, etc.)

---------- Post added 2010-06-29 at 10:44 PM ----------

Forgot about addons, Swing Timer addon is really important and be sure you can see your Swing Timer. It's important because you can stutter shoot. Meaning, when you are moving, you stop for a fraction of a second to let your auto shot continue, so your dps isn't complete gimp when on the move. Also, minimize movement to only when you have instant shots up (Arcane Shot, Aimed Shot, etc).

Another addon that's really good is a dot timer. NTK, Forte, and others do fine.

As always, check out Kripparrian's UI.

And finally, use Femaledwarf.com and Shandara's Spreadsheet to test gear upgrades, gem choices, rotations, glyphs, and talents.

Thanks for the helpful replies!