dk tanking in cata

i, myself have always found myself a bit squishy compared to other tanks (even if i out gear them quite a bit) so when i saw that we are getting all the cooldowns that frost and unholy have i got really excited. NO MOAR SHALL WE BE THE BAIN OF HEALERS! http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1116 we are getting bone shield (uded to be a unholy talent) with the new will of necropolis it will be viable to spec into rune tap (this might make us OP for a while http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/52284/) and finally dancing rule weapon....most....ok all blood tanks atm do not spec into this because there points can be well spent elsewhere but now with the parry chance on it it looks GREAT and i will definitely test it out(http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/49028/)so i ask you my fellow dk tanks what are you excited about?

---------- Post added 2010-07-01 at 02:31 PM ----------

shamless bamping of my own thread

I wonder, where is Anticipation???
    Toughness was moved from Frost, but Anticipation just disappeared! Why is that? :O

Deleted
    They want to reduce the amount of Avoidance.

Parry and Dodge Talents are getting removed from the other Classes soon too.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited that, with all these CDs, Death Knights will finally be returning to the WoTLK Beta days when they were more CD based.

During this time that I realized many DPS classes exist that enjoy just pressing 1 or 2 buttons to DPS while a Rogue has access to tons of CDs to perform the same, if not a lot more damage, when used effectively. Death Knight tanking had become the first tanking class like this.

However, Blizz nerfed us into the ground soon after WoTLK. Increased the timers on our CDs. Took away some of our best abilities / synergies. All due to the fact that there were so many players that completely sucked at this kind of tanking while there were also players that could take this playstyle & tank stuff taking as much damage as a tank in gear significantly higher level.

This type of tanking was what made me pick up the DK as my main. Once they nerfed it, I quit the game. I came back to re-roll a Feral Druid since I've been playing them from vanilla. However, I refuse to tank on something that's so boring.

In an age where tanking has become as easy & sitting there taking the hits, DPS has become as easy as pressing an AoE button, & Healing is as easy as the fools you group with (which makes it the most difficult role left in the game) -- There's no use in a vanilla / TBC, guild MT to want to tank anything these days. There's absolutely nothing left that's fun about tanking, and there's nothing tanks can do to show people how good they really are at their role.

Perhaps this new type of DK tanking will let me do that. It's time to re-roll FLOWMADA (my RL named spelled backwards) & show everyone just how damn good DK tanks can be.

/rant off

Other than that, Will of the Necropolis is probably the best tanking CD in the game right now. One reason for that is because it only has a 15 sec CD. I expect this to be nerfed to a 30 sec, if not 1 min, CD. Due to Parry becoming 50% less damage for the next two melee attacks in Cata, I'm also very excited about the change to Dancing Rune Weapon. While I wish Blizz would make it so that Dancing Rune Weapon copied my Army of the Dead so that I could have like 20 ghouls summoned, this 20% additional Parry chance just made it into a CD which is both highly offensive AND defensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...xnLmAX-,,12319

Here's what I'm seeing currently as single target tanking. I'm glad we can still get lowered CD on DnD
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    -Nietzsche
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

I don't know about your build Pavi tbh. You go down into UH tree for imp DnD. However, until we get to the point of content overgearing, DnD is going to rarely be used since CC is coming back to the game again. I guess i no longer see the importance of it until much later in the expansion. I however see more of a single target tanking setup looking more like....

wowtal.com/#k=eYmfJ1pl9CvEH.9gq.deathknight <---- copy paste as i cannot post links yet

Doing this allows for another one of those clutch CD's that might just save a raid, and allows you to be hitting more to keep vengence rolling. I may be completely off on my build, but this is one i would feel more comfortable with as far as single target tanking goes....and since we wont be AOE tanking for some time, i will probably be going for this as my normal setup pending the trees do not change much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
    pending the trees do not change much.
    Those are still the alpha trees. They will change. A lot.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
    I don't know about your build Pavi tbh. You go down into UH tree for imp DnD. However, until we get to the point of content overgearing, DnD is going to rarely be used since CC is coming back to the game again. I guess i no longer see the importance of it until much later in the expansion. I however see more of a single target tanking setup looking more like....

wowtal.com/#k=eYmfJ1pl9CvEH.9gq.deathknight <---- copy paste as i cannot post links yet

Doing this allows for another one of those clutch CD's that might just save a raid, and allows you to be hitting more to keep vengence rolling. I may be completely off on my build, but this is one i would feel more comfortable with as far as single target tanking goes....and since we wont be AOE tanking for some time, i will probably be going for this as my normal setup pending the trees do not change much.
    Your build is runnin pretty much in line with what I was thinking. But I been thinking of moving the 5 points from talons to maybe the unholy tree for the extra PS dmg. Only reason being is that most raids will have a frost dk so that takes out the need for it. I also put points into black ice for the increased dmg to IT since the threat on it is OP right now that I figured.....why not make it even better?.

So this is what I came up with after looking and reading through everything to see what talents really needed to be included and what ones were just a bonus.

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=eSpkuZLCECDvg.9gq.deathknight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrimm View Post
    Your build is runnin pretty much in line with what I was thinking. But I been thinking of moving the 5 points from talons to maybe the unholy tree for the extra PS dmg. Only reason being is that most raids will have a frost dk so that takes out the need for it. I also put points into black ice for the increased dmg to IT since the threat on it is OP right now that I figured.....why not make it even better?.

So this is what I came up with after looking and reading through everything to see what talents really needed to be included and what ones were just a bonus.

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=eSpkuZLCECDvg.9gq.deathknight
    This just in, for the past 5 months, Icy Talons and Improved Icy Talons stack.

Just out of curiosity (don't have a Death Knight right now, just observing) will it be viable to tank with dual wield?
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaucent View Post
    Just out of curiosity (don't have a Death Knight right now, just observing) will it be viable to tank with dual wield?
    i doubt it, blizz did state that a frost DK could tank HC's easily if he changed presences around, but that's basicly it (dunno if that has been changed, they said it before alpha even)
    but blood won't get a dualwield purpose as blood is designed to be a 2h tree only at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Someone believes the earth is flat, call them stupid.
    Someone believes Andorra is in Africa, call them uneducated.
    Someone believes you can go make coffee in the back of your car because it's set on "autopilot", call them retarded.
    But if someone believes a magical bearded man rewards you with eternal life in the clouds as long as you drink the magical whine-blood of a long dead carpenter in church, don't you dare argue with his beliefs.