Thread: The Shaman Tank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Stormstrike with a shield on is simply a hit from your MH weapon which also applies the SS debuff. This works for the same reason you can stormstrike with a 2h weapon I imagine.

SS with a shield works because it attacks with your weapons. Having a shield on doesn't magically make you not have a weapon. I can't test it currently due to my server being down, but I believe you can even SS while disarmed when DWing (NOT dismantled as it removes both the MH and OH weapon).

Lets get this through your heads folks. The Rockbiter Weapon changes are for low level shaman or for when you need to unleash it to pull an add off your squishy healer.

So, lets just drop the whole silly thing and move on like nothing happened.

Repeat after me:

Shaman.
    Are.
    Not.
    Tanks.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by grendalik View Post
    Lets get this through your heads folks. The Rockbiter Weapon changes are for low level shaman or for when you need to unleash it to pull an add off your squishy healer.

Repeat after me:

Shaman.
    Are.
    Not.
    Tanks.
    Shaman may not be tanks, but 75 is hardly low level.

Repeat after me:

Shaman.
    Are.
    Not.
    Tanks.
    While I'm not in the group of shaman pushing this issue. They are quite well aware of the fact that they aren't tanks, and that this won't make them tanks. This is something they do for fun, similar to people that solo old raid content and such. Perhaps this is too difficult a motive for most players to relate to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Every time I see a thread about dual wield resto or shaman tanking, a small part of me dies.

If I wanted to tank, I would've rolled a class that is made for tanking, not shaman. I agree, let's let this idea die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    Every time I see a thread about dual wield resto or shaman tanking, a small part of me dies.

If I wanted to tank, I would've rolled a class that is made for tanking, not shaman. I agree, let's let this idea die.
    And back in vanilla we were the "jack of all trades, master of none" class. While we obviously weren't as good at tanking as warriors (in fact no one was and warriors were the only raid tanks), we were still able to tank a good deal of instances even if we did have to work harder than warriors. But really, all non-warrior tanks had to work harder because back then the view from blizz was that warriors were the only "real" tanks and all else were just for novelty.

I'm neither for or against shaman tanking (would be neat, but wouldn't break my heart either), but some of us did tank a bit on our shaman and did roll the class for being able to do a bit of everything (which obviously doesn't work out too well in WoW...unless you're a druid or pally).

That's nice. It's a good thing that we're in vanilla. Oh, wait. |:

Quote Originally Posted by Qtulu View Post
    Well, by using feral tanking gear and gemming def I guess shaman could also become defense capped.
    The easier route is to use a combination of pvp gear (resilience gives crit reduction) and feral tanking gear (having 2 rings, 2 trinkets, cloak, neck is ideal) to reach the 5.6% crit chance reduction that is the crit cap. More ideally, you get all of the feral tanking gear you can get your hands on, which can easily be gotten through frost/triumph badges/ashen verdict tank ring, take note of how much crit reduction it provides you, then equip enhance pvp gear until you reach 5.6%. You can possibly luck out on some ICC feral tanking gear if you run ICC enough to the point where people are passing on the tank trinkets, rings, etc that drop in there. Unless your raid leader is a douche, you shouldn't have much problem having the item thrown your way since it's better than simply having it sharded.

Once you reach this point, you would more than likely gem stamina on all of your gear. I personally use a few more pieces of pvp gear than is needed to get to the crit cap, due to the increased stamina it has, until I get to a health pool I am comfortable with. At which point I will then use my normal enhance gear.

I would advise getting the slowest and hardest hitting 1-handed weapon you can get your hands on, tank weapon or not. The harder it hits, the more threat you generate with each swing. Tank weapon would be better, but to my knowledge, most if not all tank weapons have a fast weapon speed, so if you have a dps 1-her that hits MUCH harder than any tank ones you have or are available to, USE IT.

EDIT: Added quote below and correct a few mistakes I had with my facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post

Yes you can do that, and I personally have rolled a DK specifically for tanking. But I enjoy the challenge that tanking as enhancement provides, and a lot of other people (specifically healers) actually enjoy it as well because it gives them something more than the aoe fest that heroics are today.

Sure heroics are a little slower when you have a shaman tanking as enhance, but it can be MUCH more enjoyable in the process.
    Last edited by Littlenino; 2010-07-04 at 10:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Repeat after me:

Shaman.
    Are.
    Not.
    Tanks.

Except, you know..

Unleash Weapon is learnt at level 81. That's high level to us all at this point.

Honestly I forgot what level we learned unleash weapon at. Thought it was earlier on.

My point still stands.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes

theres no way to get D rating gear anymore /thread someone close this please?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive seen some shamans on youtube tanking, was pretty interesting. But the way it looks, you cant really raid tank unless your way uber geared for toc and in icc, your threat is neglible

There is already a Shaman tanking thread here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...fficial-thread

Sure, people don't seriously expect Shammies to tank, but there are one or two who are supported by their guilds and tank things FOR FUN. I personally have built a tanking set for my enhance shammy (mix of tanking rings, cloaks, pvp gear and gemming def). However, come Cata I don't expect to be able to tank at all as we'll be losing defense as a stat. Tanks will become crit immune through talents (as Druids do now). We'll have to stack Resilience to get any kind of crit immunity and there's no guarantee they'll keep it wotrking against non-player adds.

For now, people are having fun - check otu the thread above. I don't expect everyone to give up tanking come Cata but I'm sure its gonna be tougher.

J.

and the retards just keep trying to not look retarded at the special olympics....

Why not roll a priest and say priests can tank, I knew one in Vanilla.

---------- Post added 2010-07-05 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Qtulu View Post
    Well, by using feral tanking gear and gemming def I guess shaman could also become defense capped. And it's not supposed to be a spec viable for raiding, but I think it could work in 5-mans. It's not ever gonna be on par with real tanking classes ofc A full fledged tank, never. Something really cool, unique and decent, yeah!
    They are removing Defense for Cata. You will not be able to tank unless you have "defensive stance", or something similar too it.

---------- Post added 2010-07-05 at 07:13 PM ----------

with massive heals, and DPS that could wait 10 min to start in. Shaman are not and have not been viable tanks since way back in Vanilla. And even then they were very very weak offtanks, about as good as pallies back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    and the retards just keep trying to not look retarded at the special olympics....

Why not roll a priest and say priests can tank, I knew one in Vanilla.

---------- Post added 2010-07-05 at 07:11 PM ----------

They are removing Defense for Cata. You will not be able to tank unless you have "defensive stance", or something similar too it.

---------- Post added 2010-07-05 at 07:13 PM ----------

with massive heals, and DPS that could wait 10 min to start in. Shaman are not and have not been viable tanks since way back in Vanilla. And even then they were very very weak offtanks, about as good as pallies back in the day.
    We never said we was viable tanks that should be the get go tank for every single instance. No, we never said that. We said we are tanks that do it for the fun of it. There are videos of Shamans tanking prince before 3.1, tanking TBC heroics, tanking WotLK herios (before they way overly geared), tanking naxx, tanking a few ICC bosses, tanking the vault gaints, and more. Just since Blizzard said we arn't tanks, doesn't mean that we can't tank.

In fact, shaman tanking is one of the last few things that blizzard has been trying to kill off since Classic WoW but hasn't manage to do it 100% yet. They effectively killed off Shockadins and other "for fun" specs but not Shaman tanks. However, I do say that they finally put the nail in the coffin with the removal of Resi in PvE and no more Defence rating.