Deleted

Reinstalling WoW using the Battlechest

Good morning MMo-Champ. Maybe you can help me out with something.

I've just orderd Windows 7 so I'm going to perform a much needed HDD format and that means I'm going to have to re-install warcraft. The battlechest seems the cheapest option as I can no longer find my disks anywhere but does the battlechest include Wrath of the Litch King? It doesn't mention anything so I'm assuming it doesn't but I have read conflicting reports.

Secondly is there any way of avoiding patching the game up from scrath as the thought of that just being me out in cold sweats. I have backed up all my patches to an external HDD. All I did was effectively copy them out of my warcraft directory. Is it simply a case of copying them back in?

Any feedback would be very selcome.

pretty sure u can skip a few patches, google.com is your friend (if no one tells you in this thread)

also blizzard normaly do battle chests with 3 games like
    Diablo 1
    Diablo 2
    Diablo 2: LOD

So i presume it would, otherwise im sure you can find out on the blizzard site.

Not sure there already existsa battle chest including WotLK (didn't see any around). Anyways if you have a decent connection the best option to reinstall WoW from scratch is using the online installer, it will take care about downloading and installing all the X-pacs you need. The most annoying thing will be ofc the patches, but you can either pre-download them using the mirrors provided by wowwiki (you can use cumulative patches for 3.x) or wait for the blizzard downloader to take care of that.

EDIT: You cna get the installer by logging on battle.net and then selecting WoW.

Or, you could copy your entire WoW folder.. Jobs done. No installation needed.
    Alternatively (to save a few bucks), you could find a Key finder for WoW (A small program used to view the CD keys used to install WoW and the expansions) Then copy/paste the CD keys onto your B.Net account and then download the clients that way.. Now you won't have to buy the games again. This is not illegal, since you are using your original CD keys.. .You are just retrieving them from the registry, rather than looking for your discs/keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't add up, you're re-installing WoW, so why buy the game again ? You can simply download the game from your account management page, can't you ? I know I can, but I bought both the Digital version and the boxed one, so I'm not sure if it has any effect.

Also, you don't "need" the earlier games, Vanilla + BC, you only need WoTLK, so if you're going to buy WoW again, buy WoTLK alone.
    Same goes for installing the game, you don't need to install Vanilla + BC first, go straight with WoTLK.

Riboe, I don't remember 100%, but I don't think I entered any CD Keys when I installed WoW, any of the 100 times.. you just need to enter them when you create/active your account. So they're not saved on your PC, god knows where they are, I lost mine as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Install online.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any of the battlechests include wotlk at this time, but if you wait to start patching after you install wotlk it'll go alot faster because wotlk has the previous patches in it. So only wotlk patches !

Blizzard allows you to download the client online?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazara View Post
    Blizzard allows you to download the client online?
    Yes.

If you've added the game to your account you can download it directly from worldofwarcraft.com.

This is what I did when I first bought the game. The disc wouldnt work in my drive so I downloaded wow + 2 expansions online.

If I remember correctly, you can Download all the games you had previously from the WoW Website for free.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deadmines, Westfall, Eastern Kingdoms, Azeroth
    Log on your account, download client, PROFTI

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies ladies and gents (probably more gents)

I forgot I could just copy the whole install. Got to love WoW for that really. I'll try that first.

The whole downloading thing for me is a real pain due to double mega altra crap braodband. For soem reason i still get low pings in WoW but my god the DL speed is terribad. i'd be there for months trying to download 20 dd Gig i think.

Apparently you can copy all the patch .exes so even if i do have to re-buy the game either online or a hard copy at least I can avoid patching the thing back up.

Cheers.

Tom

lol you were going to go buy a whole new set of disks? im not sure if i should call you stupid, or attempt to help you..

well, a few others have given you the right information. just log into your account online and you can DL everything you need for free. as for patches, i dont think there is a way around it but it shouldnt take to long.

Deleted
    Copy paste your wow folder, it doesn't really need installing. (assuming you're going from windows to windows, i'm unsure if for example mac -> win would need a reinstall)

External harddisk :X