Most Fun DPS Class?

Hey guys, I'm sure there are 100 other threads out there like this but I'd like more specific input about this question I have. That question is, simply: "Of the 15 DPS specs in the game (I counted 15, I think that's how many valid ones there are), which is the most fun to play?"

I just realized that I have a lot of free time and that I would like to lvl my second character to 80 and probably play a DPS class, so I'd like the MMO-C community's feedback about which is their favorite to play. Atm I play a combat rogue and I've played mutilate (assassination) rogues a lot too. I also have a lvl. 73 ret/holy paladin and a lvl 70 unholy DK, so those would be my 'easiest' options. I do enjoy playing a rogue, especially in PvP, but in PvP it can get boring at times. I like playing melee DPS, but I've never played a range DPS at max level so I don't exactly know what that's like. I also like to be challenged in my roll - it's not often with a rogue that you feel like you really have to time things correctly and have to pay strict attention to your rotation. So, what's everyone's favorite DPS class/spec and why?

I'll even list all the specs and my original thoughts about them...

Frost DK: Never played one, but I've liked being melee and the rune system seems like a fun mechanic.
    Blood DK: Same as above.
    Unholy DK: I like my unholy DK, really good lvling spec imo and we have some very good unholy DKs in our guild.

Fury Warr: My good friend plays a fury warrior, and it seems a little more complicated than a rogue which is good.

Ret Pally: I'm not a huge fan of my ret pally (I prefer healing with him). It's just sort of... boring.

Ele Shammy: Don't know much about shamans but ele has always seemed like a cool spec to me.
    Enh Shammy: Same as above.

Marksman Hunters: I played a hunter for a while before I was max lvl (back in BC) and I enjoyed the way the class worked.

Combat Rogues: I play a combat rogue, it's fun and I like it.
    Assn Rogues: Same as above.

Boomkins: Seems like a fun spec. Chickens that make me have to gem for less hit rating, sounds good!
    Feral Druids: Eh... seems to much like a cheap knock off of a subtlety rogue. If I were to play a druid I'd probably be a boomkin.

Shadow Priests: Don't know much about spriests either, though it seems like a cool spec.
    Arcane Mages: I loooove mages. Play one on the PTR and they're incredibly fun.
    Warlocks: Don't know much about warlocks, but it seems like they have some very cool, challenging mechanics to their class. I wouldn't know though.

Elemental shamans have a very limited rotation... especially when you have the second T10 set effect, which effectively means you'll be having only 2 main spells to cast in your rotation.

The fact that everyone plays different classes pretty much shows that people have a very wide definition of what's fun for them: It could be the variety of buttons, it could be the challenge of mastering the rotation.
    Heck, melee classes wind up having a priority list rather than a proper rotation. Some people enjoy that, but others might prefer something a bit more... organized.

To me, shadow priests have always been the most interesting combination of damage-over-time spells, a proper DPS rotation, and a share of utility kicks. I hear affliction warlocks are played in similar fashion, but I wouldn't know.
    Original creator of the PointlessThread++;

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury Warr: My good friend plays a fury warrior, and it seems a little more complicated than a rogue which is good.
    Not really true, fury warriors are pretty cake to play once you've had some experience. Just Whirlwind and Bloodthirst while spamming heroic strike and getting the occasional slam proc.

I play one though and even though its pretty easy I love my fury warrior, quite fun.

Also, can't go wrong with 2 two-handers

I'm levling a warlock atm and he is destruction specced. I've done all shaman specs and all dk at 80, and destruction lock beats them all imo, when it comes to feeling badass and have fun while playing
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

You'd have to define fun for this thread to have a prayer of making any impact whatsoever. You're effectively saying what's your favorite flavor of icecream and expecting some sort of unanimous response. To some standing still casting spells and seeing big numbers is fun, to some watching a ton of damage over time spells ticking down a target is fun, to others locking down a target and killing it without allowing it to preform a single action is fun.

Fun can be defined by:
    * how easy is the dps rotation
    * can I insta gib people
    * can I hide
    * does the class have cc abilitys
    * is it a ranged or melee class/spec
    * what options do I have to annoy the fuck out of people (hello druids and dk's)
    * do I like thunderfucking?
    * will it blend?

to be continued.....

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you decide to try caster DPS, of all the ones I've played, warlocks are the most fun. I prefer to play as affli or demo.

Hmmm. I couldn't say whats the most fun. I'd have to make a high level warrior, pally, and rogue before I can make my decision.

But last week I rolled a lock. He's level 60 now, and I think Locks are a very interesting class. The rotation and stuff are pretty simple and stuff but the thing I liked most about them is how useful they are. Locks aren't too common on my server and their summon stone and health stones are SO useful. Those summon stones are PRICELESS. It can save a raid by giving the ability to summon replacement people in right away without having to walk out to the summon stone. They are kinda like shammys. They are useful! And it makes ya feel pretty important when you summon in the replacement healer or tank. ^_^

If you want a complicated rotation, I'd say Feral Cat. For ranged try a fire Mage.

My main is Marksman Hunter. Very fun to raid with, but Beast Mastery is very fun for Leveling/Questing/Grinding.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

Lots of people say Shadow Priest is hard to play, but it's actually...well, really easy. Easy to play, hard to master. 2 DoTs and 2 nukes, not very hard to manage :P (Shadow Word: Pain is a 3rd, but you dont need to worry about it, because of the Pain and Suffering refresh talent)

While Shadow Priest may not do very well on DPS compared to other hybrids *cough* NERF RET *cough* I still find it very fun to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

15+ Year Old Account
    Feral druid is very fun is you like complicated rotations.

I find Frost DKs and enh shaman to be fun, mostly because they can end up being totally random in rotation.

And double obliterate reaches some stupid high crits

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBiased View Post
    You'd have to define fun for this thread to have a prayer of making any impact whatsoever. You're effectively saying what's your favorite flavor of icecream and expecting some sort of unanimous response. To some standing still casting spells and seeing big numbers is fun, to some watching a ton of damage over time spells ticking down a target is fun, to others locking down a target and killing it without allowing it to preform a single action is fun.
    You're right, I should have been more specific about what I consider fun because it seems like everyone has a different idea about their favorite.

Imo, playing a rogue has been a little too easy. However, they do have the combo points mechanic, which is a cool, unique mechanic.

I'm looking for a challenging class with other cool, unique mechanics that make them fun to play.

mutilate rogues are fun for me..

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues and Warlocks are the most fun.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Rogues and Warlocks are the most fun.
    I'm hearing a lot of good things about warlocks so I might give that a try. Never played a clothie past lvl 10 so it'd be cool to do that.

P.S. You're my hero for having the forum name Ron Burgundy.

80 mage, fire/arcane, both fun, i dont care how "lolezymode" they are.
    80 priest, shadow offspec, its fun, have to be slighly more aware
    80 dk, frost offspec, again, fun, HoW is ANNOYING, but still fun
    80 boomkin, boring as hell, retarded rng is retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    While Shadow Priest may not do very well on DPS compared to other hybrids *cough* NERF RET *cough* I still find it very fun to play.
    /agree

and imo, (INC QQ) hybrid hybrid tax should be what it is for dual spec-classes(priest, shammy, dk) and MORE (INC QQ) for tri-spec classes (nerf ret/feral kitty kthxbye)
    Last edited by Reinhard von Lohengramm; 2010-07-04 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Definitely a warlock. Much time has been spent making the three specs unique and viable. Affliction is a lot of dot managing, destro is a lot of nuking, and demo is somewhere in between with the added plus that you get to turn into a giant mf'ing demon every couple of minutes.

I play an affliction lock with a destro off spec to make heroics less boring. Affliction is the first spec I ever played in this game and remains my favorite because of a couple things (even though it was way harder when I first got my lock to 80 about a month after WotLK came out). First, its a somewhat complicated priority system that involves being able to manage a lot of DoT's and not clip them. Second, it has a kill shot type phase with drain soul and, at my level of gear, I get to watch 21k drain soul ticks along with all my other dot's ticking. Very satisfying.

My .02, but the best advice I can give you is to play the style that you want. Another thing, why did you rule out healing and tanking if the only class you've played is a dps? As soon as I started healing in raids dps became way less of a priority for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk_Fogg
    But don't worry guys... you're not going to Space Camp but at least you've got those remote control trucks and your confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olmec
    The player that conquers the most countries in sixty seconds, wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Stannislaus View Post
    Definitely a warlock. Much time has been spent making the three specs unique and viable. Affliction is a lot of dot managing, destro is a lot of nuking, and demo is somewhere in between with the added plus that you get to turn into a giant mf'ing demon every couple of minutes.

I play an affliction lock with a destro off spec to make heroics less boring. Affliction is the first spec I ever played in this game and remains my favorite because of a couple things (even though it was way harder when I first got my lock to 80 about a month after WotLK came out). First, its a somewhat complicated priority system that involves being able to manage a lot of DoT's and not clip them. Second, it has a kill shot type phase with drain soul and, at my level of gear, I get to watch 21k drain soul ticks along with all my other dot's ticking. Very satisfying.

My .02, but the best advice I can give you is to play the style that you want. Another thing, why did you rule out healing and tanking if the only class you've played is a dps? As soon as I started healing in raids dps became way less of a priority for me.
    Another one for warlock... looks like I might be rolling a gnome lock soon.

And I have considered tanking and healing actually, and I have pretty specific plans for lvling my paladin to 80 and making him holy and lvling my druid to 80 and making him a bear tank since I have a high lvl druid and paladin. Once I do that (and that should be finished in a week or two) I wanted to play 1-80 one last time before Cata and I wanted a new, fun DPS class. (I like being a DPS because it's competitive and I like to come out on top of the meters. You can't do that as much with healing, and certainly not with tanking).

I enjoy both my destruction warlock and enchancement shaman.