Thread: Best game pc

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best game pc

Im (finally) buying a new pc in a few weeks, but Í simply cant decide which one is better. Im planning to play future/latest/heavy games on high graphics. Not only WoW, but games like Just Cause 2 or Crysis and possible future games.

Yes I know building it yourself is better/cheaper but i have absolutly no clue how, so for now just pick one of these

They both share Windows 7 and 4gb RAM

pc1:
    processor: Intel i7-860 (4 x 2,8ghz)
    graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX470

This graphics card is being stomped to the ground cuz its very power consuming, gets very hot, and is very loud.

pc2:
    processor: AMD Phenom II 955 (4 x 3,2ghz)
    graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5870

According to various benchmarks this videocard beats the crap out of the GTX 470, but loses a bit on processor.

I simply cant choose

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely the first PC. The CPU and GPU are both better. The benchmarks you were seeing with the 5870 winning were likely before nVidia fixed their Fermi drivers. Check out this site.

You will still have the heat and power consumption, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Definitely the first PC. The CPU and GPU are both better. The benchmarks you were seeing with the 5870 winning were likely before nVidia fixed their Fermi drivers. Check out this site.

You will still have the heat and power consumption, though.
    Yes i was following that exact same site, till many others proved me wrong. Then I found this benchmark: http://www.techspot.com/review/283-g...800/page3.html

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordace View Post
    Yes i was following that exact same site, till many others proved me wrong. Then I found this benchmark: http://www.techspot.com/review/283-g...800/page3.html
    From that article:

Of course, we have changed our testing methodology for this article by using FRAPS to measure performance, while the focus was more on real-time gameplay instead of time demos.
    So, they changed their testing method to include extra variables? How did they suspect that would result in a more accurate test? Anyone who has played any of the games tested can tell you that each run through ends up with different things on the screen at different times, resulting in more or less stress on the graphics at any given time. A time demo is always the same pixels being generated in the same locations.

I'm not saying their results are wrong, but I also can't say their results are right. When doing comparisons or troubleshooting, adding variables = bad.

Current graphics card hierarchy DX11:

Non SLI/Crossfire single card (current WoW etc):

GTX 480 > GTX 470 > ATI 5870 > ATI 5970 (unless clocked to 5870 speeds then equal) > GTX 465 > ATI 5850 > ATI 5770

If your game supports Crossfire then the 5970 and GTX 480 are neck and neck. SLI GTX 480 blows the 5970 out of the water.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

Get one of the new hexa core processors from AMD. You can get the black edition one for under $300, and its better then most 6-700$ i7's. Most bang for your buck in a processor. As for the graphics, personally Id go with ATI. Ive had better experience with them and there software is so much easier to use. Even if the other card is better, it wont be by much and you wont be able to tell playing wow. ATI > Nvidia in general

Quote Originally Posted by legoctf View Post
    Get one of the new hexa core processors from AMD. You can get the black edition one for under $300, and its better then most 6-700$ i7's. Most bang for your buck in a processor. As for the graphics, personally Id go with ATI. Ive had better experience with them and there software is so much easier to use. Even if the other card is better, it wont be by much and you wont be able to tell playing wow. ATI > Nvidia in general
    Bad advice. Those hexacore AMD's are getting their asses handed to them in gaming/benchmarks. They are having a tough time keeping up with the older Core2Quad intels. The hexacore AMD can't hold a candle to the i5, let alone the i7.

As far as ATI > Nvidia, you are on the train of bad information. ATI was better than nvidia until last month when they released their updated drivers, and now nvidia just freight trained past ATI.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

wtb that in your sig ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Elovan
    I would punch you in the face if my fist could traverse the Internet.

I'll build you one for about $20,000. Which honestly, isn't a bad deal (note: I wasn't really offering to sell him/build him one)

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by legoctf View Post
    damn there are to many of your type on the computer forum atm

you don`t know jack about what you are talking about, so please stay away with you BAD advice

the i5 and i7 is eating the amd hexacore for breakfest. even the AMD Phenom II 955 is doing better in most benchmarks over the hexacore

and please stop your ati is better then nvidia crap because you like the ati drivers better....... after nvidia updated there drivers the new nvidia cards are winnig almost all benchmark test by up to 15%.

they cost more, uses more power and they make a ton of heat and that makes them a bad choose over the ati cards right now, but they are still 10-15% faster then the ati cards, so don`t come here and try to tell os that they aren`t much faster then the ati cards, because they are now
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I have bought this system less than a month ago:

AMD Hexcore 3.2GHz
    GTX 480 1536gb
    8gb 1333

And yes, before I bought it I knew the 6xCore AMD processor is weaker than the i7 systems. I might be a bit sad that I did not buy an i7 860... But because of the deal I got this system for a very nice price (I did not combine the hardware myself.

With the AMD you do get more POWER for the buck, but you might get less performance.

Also note that the really good i7 processors are running Tri-channel (6/12gb ram... I wanted 8gb!) and are CONSIDERABLE more expensive than the AMD - I got my AMD for the same price as a i7 860.

TLR The best computer systems atm is the intel i7 processors - however you will also pay for it. I still recommend the AMD Thuban (Hexcore) simply because of the price, however a clocked i7 860 should outperform it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    I have bought this system less than a month ago:

AMD Hexcore 3.2GHz
    GTX 480 1536gb
    8gb 1333

And yes, before I bought it I knew the 6xCore AMD processor is weaker than the i7 systems. I might be a bit sad that I did not buy an i7 860... But because of the deal I got this system for a very nice price (I did not combine the hardware myself.

With the AMD you do get more POWER for the buck, but you might get less performance.

Also note that the really good i7 processors are running Tri-channel (6/12gb ram... I wanted 8gb!) and are CONSIDERABLE more expensive than the AMD - I got my AMD for the same price as a i7 860.

TLR The best computer systems atm is the intel i7 processors - however you will also pay for it. I still recommend the AMD Thuban (Hexcore) simply because of the price, however a clocked i7 860 should outperform it.
    You have a pretty solid system there, although if I had to go amd I'd of still went phenom II x4

I was thinking Phenom II x4, but this is my first experience with AMD... and after all the price was close to the same... and the AMDx6 had higher benchmark so i went x6 ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jiran View Post
    Bad advice. Those hexacore AMD's are getting their asses handed to them in gaming/benchmarks. They are having a tough time keeping up with the older Core2Quad intels. The hexacore AMD can't hold a candle to the i5, let alone the i7.

As far as ATI > Nvidia, you are on the train of bad information. ATI was better than nvidia until last month when they released their updated drivers, and now nvidia just freight trained past ATI.
    I won't argue about the i7 being more powerful than any processor in AMD's lineup, but you have to note this - IT IS HELLUVA LOT MORE EXPENSIVE! Sure you won't get the same performance but "money/performance" wise an AMD is ALWAYS a better deal.

As for the GPU's, a Fermi from Nvidia is at least 100 bucks more expensive than a 5870 Radeon. And you know what else? The difference isn't even that great. Benchmarks have already shown on various tech sites that the difference is somewhere between 5-7 frames! Like what the hell!? So, you should always consider the price range and whether you want to have an Nvidia (just for the sake of it) or have a different deal (slightly less performance but cheaper) with Ati.

I am using a Phenom II X4 955 along with a Radeon 5770 (a PC I've built for 600 euros) and it's serving me great. Sure I won't max out Crysis at 2450 x 1980 but I can still pretty much max out ANY game at 1280 x 1024 (my monitor's native resolution). So yeah, its all about price/performance mate.

PS: Don't get me wrong: with enough budget I would have certainly taken the 920 i7 and a 480 Fermi... but, AGAIN, that would have cost at least 1000 euros. So, pew
    Last edited by Dragonshardz; 2010-07-07 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    I was thinking Phenom II x4, but this is my first experience with AMD... and after all the price was close to the same... and the AMDx6 had higher benchmark so i went x6 ^^
    not sure what benches you are seeing for gaming, but the x4 was beating the x6.

---------- Post added 2010-07-07 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    I won't argue about the i7 being more powerful than any processor in AMD's lineup, but you have to note this - IT IS HELLUVA LOT MORE EXPENSIVE! Sure you won't get the same performance but "money/performance" wise an AMD is ALWAYS a better deal.

As for the GPU's, a Fermi from Nvidia is at least 100 bucks more expensive than a 5870 Radeon. And you know what else? The difference isn't even that great. Benchmarks have already shown on various tech sites that the difference is somewhere between 5-7 frames! Like what the hell!? So, you should always consider the price range and whether you want to have an Nvidia (just for the sake of it) or have a different deal (slightly less performance but cheaper) with Ati.

I am using a Phenom II X4 955 along with a Radeon 5770 (a PC I've built for 600 euros) and it's serving me great. Sure I won't max out Crysis at 2450 x 1980 but I can still pretty much max out ANY game at 1280 x 1024 (my monitor's native resolution). So yeah, its all about price/performance mate.

PS: Don't get me wrong: with enough budget I would have certainly taken the 920 i7 and a 480 Fermi... but, AGAIN, that would have cost at least 1000 euros. So, pew
    I don't think you've seen the latest benches. The 480 GTX is putting 15-20% lead on the 5870 now. The GTX 470 is actually faster than the 5870 by 5-7% and cheaper too. So the GTX 480 is no longer competition for the 5870, it is more in tuned with the 5970 now with the latest drivers and even beats the 5970 in non multi gpu gaming. Hell, it comes within 5-8% of it even if the game can use both of the 5970s cores.

I also don't even need to compare the i7 930 against the Phenom II X4/6. The i5 750 and i7 860 (1156 based socket) beats them as well for the same price as a similar equipped AMD system. So your arguement isn't really there. If you want budget/performance the i5 750 wins hands down against AMD.
    Last edited by Jiran; 2010-07-07 at 04:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Sure you won't get the same performance but "money/performance" wise an AMD is ALWAYS a better deal.
    Not so. Look at the i5 750 vs a Phenom II x4 965 BE. The i5 is about $20 more, putting it in the same price class, but outperforms the AMD chip in most gaming benchmarks. (Source)

... And it is more easily overclocked (more room, higher % overclock) for an even larger performance gap.

Not so. Look at the i5 750 vs a Phenom II x4 965 BE. The i5 is about $20 more, putting it in the same price class,
    And another $100 for i5 motherboard compared to AM3.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    And another $100 for i5 motherboard compared to AM3.
    Asus P7P55-M: $108

Asus M4A77TD: $85

$20 more for the CPU, $23 more for the motherboard. I'd say that still puts the i5 in a better position as far as price per performance.

Asus P7P55-M: $108

Asus M4A77TD: $85

$20 more for the CPU, $23 more for the motherboard. I'd say that still puts the i5 in a better position as far as price per performance.
    another win for intel

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a Kaypro and it PWNs