Page 1 of 3
LastLast

No Point in raiding inWoW until Cata?

After watching some videos and seeing that the Basic Greens from early quests in Hyjal are giving Items that have 270+ Item levels is there any point in raiding? Or for that matter playing WoW at all until Cata?

The only justification I could see is to see the old content/zones before Deathwing takes a shit on everything.

Thoughts?

Who in their right mind raids for the gear? <_<

If you find that the only point raiding is for gear, then no, there is no point for you to raid. There are others of us that enjoy raiding for the challenge and the experience and I'm sure that most of those in that boat will continue raiding. Yes, it's slightly disappointing that greens will immediately replace 277 gear, but there is more to raiding than gear.

Entertainment? Many servers - Most* Still don't have a guild to claim server first Hardmode LK 25. Many people simply enjoy raiding with friends or have no lives. Idk seems like a stupid question to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrin View Post
    This! Raid to beat the content before Cataclysm hits. If you reach your personal goals in that area, feel free to stop and just level alts or do achievements.

The content aint even that entertaining anymore.

Ill work on my 100.000 kills though

Raiding is motivated by gear.

Doing the same instance weekly is entertaining at first but then becomes tedious and annoying along with waiting for gear to drop.

Maybe it just applies to me because Ive already killed LK 10/25man
    Last edited by Mambo; 2010-07-06 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrin View Post
    if you raid to experience the content (which is what is usaully put forward as the other side of the coin) then there is no point after killing Arthas the first time "on normal"

basically the only justification for doing ICC hardmodes is "eh . . . but that's what we do" and epeen.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

ICC gear will last for a while if you gem it.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    if you raid to experience the content (which is what is usaully put forward as the other side of the coin) then there is no point after killing Arthas the first time "on normal"

basically the only justification for doing ICC hardmodes is "eh . . . but that's what we do" and epeen.

Some people like to collect achievements. Other people like the SENSE of achievement they get when they beat a more difficult encounter. Some people enjoy raiding with the guild for the social aspect. In the end, different things motivate different people, but there are still reasons to raid, even if you'll replace all the level 80 BiS gear before 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    After watching some videos and seeing that the Basic Greens from early quests in Hyjal are giving Items that have 270+ Item levels is there any point in raiding? Or for that matter playing WoW at all until Cata?

The only justification I could see is to see the old content/zones before Deathwing takes a shit on everything.

Thoughts?
    Higher item level =/= better. People get soo stuck on item levels they completely look past stats. If you look at the stats on the greens you will be getting right out when cataclysm comes out, they are about equal to 251 epics.

Frankly it's up to you. Every expansion's gear will become obsolete at some point and therefore might as well be described as worthless. It's up to you to decide if the impending wave of worthlessness is near enough to not bother or if it isnt. Otherwise I suppose you could just quit wow until whenever they say there will be no more expansions ever and then get into raiding then.

Sure there is a point to carry on raiding after the 1st time you clear it. Some people might actually have fun with their friends while clearing content even after the 1st time.

The thing that kept me interested while raiding after clearing content multiple times was competing for dps records on wowmeter... ofc that doesn't work out too well in ICC since the buff increases each month. Maybe that's why I went casual a few weeks ago (along with being tired of spending 3 nights a week wiping on LK hard mode 25 with limited progress over a 2-3 month period.

10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy

I've been wondering this myself but, as others have said, you shouldn't (don't) raid solely for gear. I've yet to take a single step in ICC10 or ICC25. However, it's still my goal to down him on both modes just to say I have. Beyond that? I'll raid if I'm bored or work on achievements - being the achievement whore that I am, as well as level my Paladin, which is my last pre-Cata alt that I want to hit 80.

Edit: reduce the size of your signature before a mod does it for you. =/
    Last edited by Vidur; 2010-07-06 at 03:58 AM.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

meh, I kind of feel what OP has to say, but don't necessarily agree. Yeah, if you've kill LK, you've pretty much done it all (inb4 hurrdurr hard modes lulz, but there is so much more in the game! Try getting your crusader title / tabard from the tourney! Get your loremaster / explorer achievements! Get an alt to 60/70 and raid old content like it was meant to be played

In short, gear shouldn't be the only thing that motivates you in this game, but if it is, throw some big bags in your bank and start collecting all the old tier sets in the game!

I basically quit raiding and I'm in the process of leveling my hunter for Cata. I'll probably hit 80 before Cata, so I'll just level another alt.
    Vol'jin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vol'jin
    Ya will spend ya reign glancin' over ya shoulda and fearin' tha shadows, for when tha time comes and ya blood be slowly drainin' out, ya will know exactly who fired da arrow dat pierced ya heart.
    Where is your Garrosh now?

NO SMART FOR YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Thoughts?
    I think your signature is huge.

Also better gear will allow you to level faster and safer. People in ICC 10 gear are wiping in the first two 5 mans on Cata atm.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    I think your signature is huge.

Also better gear will allow you to level faster and safer. People in ICC 10 gear are wiping in the first two 5 mans on Cata atm.

holy shite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    People in ICC 10 gear are wiping in the first two 5 mans on Cata atm.
    One cannot solely blame gear for this though. One must also consider: a) it's brand new content b) encounters have relatively new mechanics c) fights are surely not balanced d) the encounters are meant to be harder and e) the gear level is on par with the dungeons (unlike now where everyone overgears the content).

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

Edging closer and closer to Server First H LK25 . . . maybe we'll get it by Cataclysm =D