[BIO] Salarissia Shadowblade

Name: Salarissia "Sal" Shadowblade
    Race: Kaldorei
    Class: Warrior (Weaponsmaster)

Languages: Darnassian, Common, broken Orcish

Faction: Alliance

Personality: Sal is generally a quiet, level-headed, and reserved woman who has a mysterious air around her. Due to her experiences in life, she tends to keep to herself, even in the midst of friends. She is slow to anger, but when sufficiently angered, she becomes a completely different woman, loud and terrifying to behold (not to mention quite vulgar, especially to Orcs). She is forgiving and compassionate, whether it be positively or negatively. Sal is a strong, honorable woman, and when she gives her word, she will never let her promises down (as a companion once said, "Sal's word is worth more than gold."). She speaks few words, but they are always meaningful, and she judges on a case-by-case basis, though she generally distrusts those of a type until proven otherwise. The only times she is never like this is when she is face-to-face with demon(s) or Priests/esses of the Moon; due to her memories of the War of the Ancients, she strongly dislikes most things dealing with Elune and has a hard time dealing with demons.

Likes: Quiet, contemplative places. Natural environments and forest creatures. Alcohol (after spending time amongst a band of dwarves, she has developed a fond taste for Ironforge ale and whiskey) and good food.

Dislikes: Anything dealing with Elune and demons. Strongly dislikes traitors and those who go against their word (accordingly, she distrusts Rogues and Warlocks). She holds great distaste for things that are unnatural, such as Undead or Garrosh's Dark Shaman.

Appearance: Salarissia stands at an imposing height of 7'1". Having wielded many weapons throughout her long life, she has a muscular, athletic build befitting a warrior of her stature. Her eyes are a deep amber, in contrast to her light purple-pink skin tone and bone-white hair. She keeps her hair long, and it cascades down her back, ending just past her knees (she braids it into a long ponytail for combat). Marks, scratches, and other badges of war adorn her armor, as well as her many weapons.

As a weaponsmaster, she keeps multiple weapons on her person; she is never unarmed, even if she appears to be. In her combat gear, she wields a double-bladed polearm first and foremost (which is kept in a sheath on her back when not in use; it's similar in style to a saberstaff from Star Wars, like what Darth Maul uses). A longsword is sheathed to her left hip, opposite a quiver on her right. A shield adorns her left forearm, and is fitted to be part of her armor rather than a separate piece entirely. A bow crosses her chest, from her left shoulder to her right hip.

Her armor is reminiscent of Roman gladiators, a mix of plate and leather, though plate is the dominant armor type. It is sectioned, allowing her to move freely, but still be mostly protected. A single pauldron is fitted to her right shoulder via straps (. Visually, she's similar to this picture (which is actually the inspiration for her), but with the pauldron on the opposite shoulder, a bigger shield, and more armor (which would be most similar to Hawke's from Dragon Age 2, if I had to make a comparison, a sort of mix of the Warrior and Mage class armors).

Strengths/Weaknesses: Due to her weaponry, Salarissia is an adept fighter. She is able to switch her combat stances and styles, even weaponry, mid-combat to suit the flow of the melee. As a weaponmaster, she is quite comfortable in almost any situation, should she be fighting in single combat, alone against multiple foes, or fighting with allies. Despite this, it is not impossible for her to be overwhelmed; stronger foes can out-force her, and tricksters can use her honorable disposition against her.

As a Night Elf, she is most comfortable at night, her vision and other sense giving her greater advantage than the likes of humans. Due to her solitary nature and history, she relies upon her senses more than anything else, which may cause her to be at odds with companions at times. A forest is her natural environment, and she strongly dislikes cities and unnatural dwellings or places.

Her greatest weaknesses are demons and Priestesses of the Moon. Due to her experiences with both during the War of the Ancients, she is against cooperating or working with anything or most things dealing with Elune, and she has a difficult time fighting against demons (or working with Warlocks).

History: [W.I.P.] Salarissia Shadowblade was born roughly 12,000 years before the First War, around the time when Kang, the Fist of First Dawn, incited the Pandaren Uprising. Born into the Shadowblade lineage, she was the direct descendant of Lord Sacresarian Shadowblade, whom was her paternal grandfather - making her the heir, in line after her father. The family lands were located far east of the city of Zin-Azshari - so far that they were nearly on the edge of the Kal'dorei lands.

A decorated military family, Salarissia was trained from a young age in the martial arts. Despite her father's and grandfather's wishes, as they felt the sword was the most suitable and honorable weapon, she favored the quarterstaff, and trained herself as well as she could in it's uses.

During a nightly patrol of her family lands' border alongside the guards, the group was attacked by an ambush of trolls. The combat was swift, fierce, and fatal, for many on both sides. Though her group managed to rally and drive the trolls back, many were wounded - and her officer died protecting her from a troll she had thought she killed with her staff. It was this incident that made Sal realize she needed a different weapon, and she devised the current weapon she now wields.

After many years, Salarissia eventually felt a calling, and joined the Sisterhood of Elune.
    Last edited by Shadow the Edgehog; 2014-05-28 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Updates!

Fair I'd say, a fairly well-written description, personally I'd not use terms like "mysterious air around her" as it kinda forces people to think such and such in RP, unless you intend to use this character for fan-fic, which in that case it's fairly brilliant. You write down she has a hard time with demons in the personality like it's an uncommon thing, which undeniably it isn't, especially for night elves (even more so for draenei). She is perhaps a bit overburdened by weapons and armour, the way you describe her... Sounds like she's carrying almost half a metric ton along with her, and I know night elves are strong, but I don't recall them being that strong, of course she could be using mithril or the likes, considering it's stronger than steel and about half the weight, still heavy, but easier to carry.

Weaponmaster is more a description indicating masterful weaponsmiths, rather than a type of warrior, though it can also indicate a fighter with masterful skill with every single type of weapon there is... At least in the individual person's culture. A bow seems redundant with her type of armour, and throwing weapons would only work at short distances taking everything into account... But perhaps this is part in your character's strengths and weaknesses section?

Anyways, so far. You got a brilliant base for a good character, I'm not all certain it's perfect, but it's a very good start to go by for a new character.

Thanks for the reply! I'll get to each part

Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    Fair I'd say, a fairly well-written description, personally I'd not use terms like "mysterious air around her" as it kinda forces people to think such and such in RP, unless you intend to use this character for fan-fic, which in that case it's fairly brilliant. You write down she has a hard time with demons in the personality like it's an uncommon thing, which undeniably it isn't, especially for night elves (even more so for draenei). She is perhaps a bit overburdened by weapons and armour, the way you describe her... Sounds like she's carrying almost half a metric ton along with her, and I know night elves are strong, but I don't recall them being that strong, of course she could be using mithril or the likes, considering it's stronger than steel and about half the weight, still heavy, but easier to carry.
    I know it isn't uncommon, but it's the part that shaped who she is now, largely. As I don't have her history posted here yet (as I'm not finished with it :P), you wouldn't know, but during the War of the Ancients she was a Priestess of Elune. She lost her faith during the War, in both Elune and her fellow Priestesses, and that's why she strongly dislikes them in the current day and age. Along with that, she nearly died (multiple times, as they all did), and there were times when she could do nothing but watch as her Sisters and other comrades-in-arms died around her. One death in particular hit her hard, but this is the main reason why she's so reserved and quiet, and why she leaves the greater Kaldorei society after they settle in northern Kalimdor to live alone.

You're right though, it would be a metal like mithril. As it is, she's not wearing a full-set of armor anyways, so she's not fully burdened. It's more bits and pieces intermixed; like I said, she looks something resembling a Roman gladiator. I originally was going to have her using a greatsword instead of the polearm, then changed that into a bastard sword when I wanted to make her a weaponsmaster instead. Ultimately, that didn't work, so I changed it into a polearm.

Really, the only thing she has to carry are the weapons. The "shield" is fitted to be part of her left arm's armor, so she isn't even really carrying it, she's more wearing it. The polearm can be used as a walking staff as well, so that leaves her with the longsword, quiver/arrows, and bow.

Weaponmaster is more a description indicating masterful weaponsmiths, rather than a type of warrior, though it can also indicate a fighter with masterful skill with every single type of weapon there is... At least in the individual person's culture. A bow seems redundant with her type of armour, and throwing weapons would only work at short distances taking everything into account... But perhaps this is part in your character's strengths and weaknesses section?
    A weaponsmaster in the present day (in real life) is generally someone who works on movie sets, handling all the weapons and such. Despite that, games like D&D and Blizzard games (Diablo's Barbarian has a "Weaponsmaster" skill that increases a single skill depending on the weapon/s being used) describe Weapon or Weaponsmasters as those individuals who are incredibly skilled with one or more weapons. It's sort of like an Orcish Blademaster, except she focuses on more than one weapon/style (the sword + shield, archery, and the polearm/polearm + shield).

I kept the bow in there because, well, she needed to get food someway on her own. A bow is a perfect weapon for that, and it fits the image of the whole "solitary kaldorei warrior" she has going on. I'm going to get rid of the throwing knives, since they do not really fit.

Anyways, so far. You got a brilliant base for a good character, I'm not all certain it's perfect, but it's a very good start to go by for a new character.
    Thanks They're rarely perfect the first time through, but I'll continue tweaking it here and there until I'm satisfied with it (which likely won't be forever lol).