10+ Year Old Account

Invalid at computing

First of all, I know absolutely nothing about computing. I have no idea how to build a computer, I don't know what a RAM is and I don't know the difference between a Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort HDCP PCI-E and a ATI Radeon HD 4770, heck I don't even know what they do.

Now... I'm looking to purchase a new computer, something that can get around 20 fps in a 25 man on high-ish to ultra video settings. When I walk into the store, what system specifications (I have no idea if that is the right term) am I looking for or what do I tell the clerk at the store?
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2010-07-06 at 06:48 AM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

What would your budget be and would you be willing to learn to build a computer or do you know someone capable of building it?
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    What would your budget be and would you be willing to learn to build a computer or do you know someone capable of building it?
    My budget will probably be around $500 but it's rather flexible. I don't trust myself enough to build a computer and I don't know anyone who can.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

That's a very low budget to expect to even run a 5 man. How flexible would you be willing to get to meet your expectations?
    Last edited by None; 2010-07-06 at 08:06 AM.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a very low budget to expect to even run a 5 man. How flexible would you be willing to get to meet your expectations?
    Very. Let's just ignore the budget for now.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2010-07-06 at 08:24 AM.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

These would basically be your options:
    This computer from Best buy may seem like a great deal, but you're buying into a terrible warranty with a poorly ventilated case with a horrible power supply and motherboard. Basically it probably won't last more than a year before the power supply dies and takes everything with it.

This is probably going to be the first and last time I suggest buying from ibuypower. Basically you want to start with one of these preconfigured builds and add to them:
    AMD
    or
    Intel

With the Intel build you'll want to get an i5 750 or i7 860 and an ATI Radeon 5770 or higher.
    With the AMD build you'll want a Phenom II x4 955 and ATI Radeon 5770 or higher.
    And on both the ATI and Intel build I highly suggest spending the extra $130 for an XFX 850w PSU, it's far more than you need but it's the best deal on ibuypower (Corsair 650TX is +$100 and the XFX 850 is +$130).

These would basically be your options:
    This computer from Best buy may seem like a great deal, but you're buying into a terrible warranty with a poorly ventilated case with a horrible power supply and motherboard. Basically it probably won't last more than a year before the power supply dies and takes everything with it.

This is probably going to be the first and last time I suggest buying from ibuypower. Basically you want to start with one of these preconfigured builds and add to them:
    AMD
    or
    Intel

With the Intel build you'll want to get an i5 750 or i7 860 and an ATI Radeon 5770 or higher.
    With the AMD build you'll want a Phenom II x4 955 and ATI Radeon 5770 or higher.
    And on both the ATI and Intel build I highly suggest spending the extra $130 for an XFX 850w PSU, it's far more than you need but it's the best deal on ibuypower (Corsair 650TX is +$100 and the XFX 850 is +$130).
    I agree.

If you need help building one there are how to vids on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help!

And this doesn't come with a monitor right?
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2010-07-06 at 09:15 AM.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

A monitor of 21" should only run you back around 200 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain