Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    There are three types of trash skipping.

1. The out of the way trash. I don't go out of my way to kill trash if I'll just have to back track to where I am now to get to the boss.

2. Trash thats on the way to the boss but you can hug the wall to avoid it. This trash is not a waste of time from an XP/time ratio and if its not difficult or annoying for some special reason I see no point in skipping it. I think people only skip it because thats what they've been taught in heroics and they're not capable of thinking for themselves.

3. The "i know a trick to skip this pack" pulls. These are the spots like in slavepens where you can jump down from the bridge and land on a little ledge, then climb along the ledge til you get to a spot where you can jump down to another ledge, then jump down right into a pack so you all have to do it at once. Someone always falls so you have to wait 2 minutes for them to run all the way back around and try again and all it does is skip 8 easy mobs. If it works perfect you save 30 seconds. If someone falls(which ALWAYS happens) you waste 2 minutes. These "time savers" would be retarded even if you didn't get XP for the kills.

If you have a meticulously planned questing route and you're not leveling with the RAF triple XP bonus then questing might be slightly faster but if you aren't following a step by step, quest here, skip this quest, do that quest type of guide or you have constant triple XP from RAF then running dungeons is the way to go and killing trash is not a waste. I'm close to having 9 level 80s now(+1 bank) and 6 of them went from 1-60 under refer a friend. We tried questing and we tried dungeon crawling and the dungeon crawling was about twice as fast for us.
    Last edited by draticus; 2010-07-08 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of the people who say questing is faster XP than dungeons haven't really done a time comparison. In my experience, as someone who has leveled a dozen or so alts and knows all of the low level quests backwards and forwards, questing is only more efficient nowadays once you reach Outlands (there are a few hubs that are convenient, but by and large this is true).

So that's nearly 58 levels where dungeons provide optimal experience. With the new LFG tool, you can quest while you wait for your queue, steamroll through some XP, and pop back out to finish your quests. On top of that, the tool has also given people a lot of familiarity with dungeons that before you might have wandered lost through before when people avoided them. People are quicker because they know where to go. So overall, using the tool can speed up your leveling process significantly.

That in mind, I also am baffled when people skip significant portions of a low-level dungeon. I get not wanting to kill every pack. I get taking efficient routes through a dungeon. I do not get intentionally trying to avoid as much as possible and making elaborate efforts to skip particular trash groups (that take 15 seconds to kill) or skipping entire bosses. I did a Ragefire Chasm the other day where the group only wanted to do the one boss (for some reason, the first one drops the bag) and none of the rest.

This isn't your 15 minute Frost Badge run. The bag is often crap and you're going to replace it in a few hours of leveling anyway. The XP reward you get for finishing is small. The majority of the value of being there is for riding the wave of experience points. If you're not taking advantage of that, you're wasting your time by even queueing for a dungeon.

I don't get bent out of shape when people skip, but it's definitely weird. I guess maybe people don't realise the value of the XP or are too used to their Frost badge runs?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Yes Tziva, I think its that everyone is in the "efficiency = skipping" mode thanks to daily heroics. They do as they are programmed to do, without thinking it through for themselves.

And yes, leveling in dungeons is faster than questing because it is steady. The people who compare questing to leveling take their questing sample starting from the moment they begin a quest hub to when they finish it an hour later and then compare that to an hours worth of instances without rest XP. They forget about all the travel time between quest hubs. If you take a true comparison of total hours played to 60 via quests vs dungeons in the new LFD tool, dungeons would win. If you have rest XP the whole time(or have RAF triple XP) then it wins by a lot.

honestly what i noticed on my pala tank is that its a bit faster to just kill the mobs then jump from a box to a pole and then wall run like prince of persia and then try to land right next to the barrel so you can loot it for a glss of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindv View Post
    gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive. But what it hides is far more important
    ^^ win

10+ Year Old Account
    For levelling dungeons, people are there for XP and theres nothing really difficult so no point in skipping anything, unless it's out of the way trash that takes you to a dead end (some useless tunnels in Gnomeregan and deadmines etc), in which case sometimes it saves time.

Endgame is different though. In TBC, we often skipped certain trash packs in places like Slave pens and arca, simply because some of them were pretty challenging without the right set up. I remember kiting nagas with my holy priest and things like this because we didn't have an offtank or the right CC.

In wotlk, with the bring the player not the class, plus the easiness of the trash, there are no really hard pulls for most groups.

Back in BC, there were certain dungeons that were painful with either a melee or a caster heavy group. Hellfire Citadel and Magisters terrace etc.

Sometimes it does apply for beginner dungeons. I remember skipping goblins in deadmines because we were too inexperienced/low level to deal with them.
    Last edited by Brittany; 2010-07-08 at 06:31 PM.

I leveled my Warrior Tank via LFD tool for all but the last 7 or so levels (Wrathgate questline, grizzly hills, open up Son's then ice crown) and found the following:

1: As a tank I could dictate where to go, what stuff got pulled and at what pace, healer mana pending.

2: I always asked if anyone had quests to do in the place we got put, if they did they generally shared it and we all got extra exp from doing it.

3: Some people would be assholes and demand we skip trash XYZ cos they wanted a fast run. I vote kicked em and got someone else in to replace within 2 minutes, less head aches that way.

4: After the run I always offered to stay in group and re-queue so the DPS had an instant queue (seems lower levels healers sometimes get faster queues than tanks sub level 40, least on my battlegroup).

Doing these things usually led to 2-5 randoms run back to back with a solid group, sometimes people dropped out cos of RL stuff, raids etc, but by and large it made a stable group that would go and clear out all the bosses and all the trash on the way to and from said bosses. May not of been great exp at times, but how annoying is it to wipe in Gnomer or Ulduman and people don't know where to go to get back to their corpse?

Skipping trash can lead to accidental wipes followed by 5-10 minutes of someone getting lost and us not having a class that can res or an engineer that failed teh zap treatment. Skipping trash CAN be good at times, but if you do it, do it smartly, don't wipe the group cos you wanted to save 2 minutes of AoE carnage on a pack of whatevers.

This irks me too. I can understand skipping things at 80, but leveling? The nice shiny blue stuff in the bag isn't THAT great. Sup-level 80 dungeons are for leveling one way or another. Skipping things is meaningless.

Get to the bonus XP boss quicker and get bonus XP fast then join another. Simples.

I mean really the amount of helling times i had to go BRD 18 bloody bosses spending over 1 hour 30 in 1 rubbish dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    seems they don't..to me the most relaxing..fun...quickest way is soloing quests...don't need the aggrevation of pugs with the LFG tool
    Their loss realy Hi det btw, long time since i last saw you on incgamers Bringing some light to these dark forums here, are we ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

the fighting about killing more mobs or not will always be there, with somany people online you will almost always have annoying people with you that dont agree with you on everything thats possible.

like last night while lvling prot palla i first had a hunter that thought he and his pet could tank beter and pulled groups for me. when i told him to let me tank or i would stop tanking, offcourse he didnt stop and we kicked him. tobad we got a warrior in his place that found the need to hit need on every single item that dropped.

its just a game but some kids (or pathetic adults) need to make it harder for the other gamers and there is nothing blizz can do about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    seems they don't..to me the most relaxing..fun...quickest way is soloing quests...don't need the aggrevation of pugs with the LFG tool
    I love that people are quick to jump down the OP's throat about not "seeing alternative viewpoints", yet most people arguing against him are employing the same tactic.

OT - Do what you want, but skipping EXP in an instance is just a silly concept, especially when you consider low level que times. Just because the tank or healer can que faster (and thus run more dungeons quickly), doesn't mean they should lessen the dps' EXP gain by sprinting to their satchel. So it is fairly reasonable for the OP to be irked by this.

Never have seen it in a dungeon before maxlevel.