Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lewo_darkfluffy View Post
    Blizzard! I told them I played and they didn't hire me :<

OT: Its true WHAT companies? 1/2 of them people I meet don't even know what world of warcraft means.... So how is a manager going to know what he is looking at?
    Good question.
    You see, people who hire for large corporations look into several things or hobbies that could make a potential person inefficient or hard to work with. One of those factors being Online Gaming (You can thank Faux news and CNN for that).

Companies that do this are many and vastly varied; but include warehouse facilities, Escrow companies, marketing corporations, digital trade, anything to do with Stock...Pretty much any company that has a paper-pusher position have listed Online Games; particularly popular ones like WoW; as a big 'ol red STOP sign.

Is it fair? Hell no; but that's the job market we're in - and the fact that you're not in it now doesen't mean that years down the line, your post won't be there to dig up from the Battle.net forums; even if it's been years.

wonder if some psycho killer will get rid of trolls after realid on the forums.
    I also wonder what they'll call him...maybe "the troll butcher" or something like that, would be amusing.

half the players currently have jobs more than likely.
    the other half probably wont even aspire to work at anything better than the mcdonalds inside a walmart.
    and if the off chance you are looking for a job, dont post on the blizzard forums.

I havent posted on the official forums because theyre completely retarded, and I trust mmo-champion to deliver me the news I want to see (blue tracker).

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the OP and thus will I never post or use the forums at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Electromatt View Post
    wonder if some psycho killer will get rid of trolls after realid on the forums.
    I also wonder what they'll call him...maybe "the troll butcher" or something like that, would be amusing.

half the players currently have jobs more than likely.
    the other half probably wont even aspire to work at anything better than the mcdonalds inside a walmart.
    and if the off chance you are looking for a job, dont post on the blizzard forums.

I havent posted on the official forums because theyre completely retarded, and I trust mmo-champion to deliver me the news I want to see (blue tracker).
    I'm glad you can take the matter lightly when it's not a medium you use personally; but I'm sure you'll get yours when you see the slippery slope Blizzard's currently on.
    How does "John Smith the Blood Elf Rogue" sound to you? Or "Sumia McKullinen the Female Human DK"? Sounds like a good. unique, female name. Creepers may want to look her up.

See the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    I'm glad you can take the matter lightly when it's not a medium you use personally; but I'm sure you'll get yours when you see the slippery slope Blizzard's currently on.
    How does "John Smith the Blood Elf Rogue" sound to you? Or "Sumia McKullinen the Female Human DK"? Sounds like a good. unique, female name. Creepers may want to look her up.

See the issue?
    nope
    you realID name isn't shown with your character name unless you choose to have it shown or choose to identify yourself as a particular toon

I've played wow for 5 years and have made a grand total of 8 posts on the wow forum. Each and every post special and important and would have dire consequences if not posted... nah just kidding.
    Posting on the forums is not needed at all to enjoy the game 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus View Post
    nope
    you realID name isn't shown with your character name unless you choose to have it shown or choose to identify yourself as a particular toon

I've played wow for 5 years and have made a grand total of 8 posts on the wow forum. Each and every post special and important and would have dire consequences if not posted... nah just kidding.
    Posting on the forums is not needed at all to enjoy the game 100%
    It's not needed; but it's a part of the community.
    While you may not personally take part in the official WoW forums, some post avidly and constructively - and have the sense to realize that there's absolutely no reason to spend time to force people to use their Real names on the forums. While you may not choose to try to find a female's name that looks unique, some nutcases and perverts/pedophiles out there do; and do so on a regular basis on sites like Facebook. The difference between this system and Facebook, is that on Facebook you can hide your existance from anybody but your friends. This new system has no such option.

You seem like the type with a thick skull and get quick with the Reply button, so I guess I'll have to make this simple:

Give me one good reason why posters of the WoW forums would ever need to show their real-life names to even open themselves to the oppurtunity to become victims; if they're female, have a name that stands out, or anything of that sort?
    Last edited by Minky; 2010-07-08 at 05:02 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    if the ppl you are trying to work for go on the web and see that you play video games and WoW and therefore dont hire you because of it is not a company or manager worth working for. what you do in your personal life (aside form kicking puppies and raping people) has nothing to do with how you will perform at a job or how you function in the real world and anyone that thinks otherwise is ignorant or just plain stupid. and trust me i aint afraid to say that
    But it does! With the negativity towards online gaming, and WoW in particular. It usually involves people spending unseemly amount of hours and lacking social skills that would allow the said gamer to play outside so to speak. It's an assumption and a sterotype, but it does exist.

And saying it isn't worth your time to work at a place such as that, well it's not as simple as that. People work their whole lives to be able to get that top end career, and a simple search shows that they are Branginub the 80 mage. Those stereotypes of online gamers over rides any experience, skills or what have you that is on your resume. It's not as simple as "oh, I'll just go send in my resume at the McDonalds down the street instead"

I personally have a fairly common name, however with a bit of a search it's easy to connect my username to my name. Now that doesn't bug me at the moment, because I'm not going to get stalked/killed/what have you. I'm 99.99% sure of this and I'm not looking for a job atm where I'd be looked upon through records on my facebook and other internet activities. However, I don't want to post on the forums there somewhere down the line and to affect my ability to get a job in 3-4 years.

Also, look how when CM posted his name on the WoW forums, and the people had a hayday with that and found out where he lived, his wifes name etc... That's fine, that's all in public database. However, the search also brings up the nearest schools to his adress. I don't want this to be all "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" but seriously, it's a cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Drefanator View Post
    But it does! With the negativity towards online gaming, and WoW in particular. It usually involves people spending unseemly amount of hours and lacking social skills that would allow the said gamer to play outside so to speak. It's an assumption and a sterotype, but it does exist.

And saying it isn't worth your time to work at a place such as that, well it's not as simple as that. People work their whole lives to be able to get that top end career, and a simple search shows that they are Branginub the 80 mage. Those stereotypes of online gamers over rides any experience, skills or what have you that is on your resume. It's not as simple as "oh, I'll just go send in my resume at the McDonalds down the street instead"

What the fuck has happened to this world, are people really that blinded? What people do in their offtime is their business, if it's not harming anyone, why should they be judged whether they get the job on just that? It's like say I'm a fan of the Lakers and post on a Lakers forum, the employer is a big fan of the The Bulls and decides not to hirer me because he found out I post on a Lakers forum. That's not fucked up at all to anyone?

In any case, I have a pretty common name and share my name with a very popular singer, so it'd be difficult to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    What the fuck has happened to this world, are people really that blinded? What people do in their offtime is their business, if it's not harming anyone, why should they be judged whether they get the job on just that? It's like say I'm a fan of the Lakers and post on a Lakers forum, the employer is a big fan of the The Bulls and decides not to hirer me because he found out I post on a Lakers forum. That's not fucked up at all to anyone?

In any case, I have a pretty common name and share my name with a very popular singer, so it'd be difficult to find me.
    I'm surprised people still live under the delusion of privacy; and
    good for you.

-Do you -really- think that Trolling on the Battle.net forums will go away with a change like this?
    Yes cuz look whos trolling <name here> let me hack his facebook and fuck his life up....
    No it won't because as you so elegantly put it...

Well I am 15 and I rlly don't care....
    Blizzard are shitting all over our privacy with this move, how can anyone not see that? "It's just a name" is not a valid argument, neither is "lots of people have the same name as me", the internet is an absolute wealth of information and if you think people can't find you with nothing but a name you a so very wrong.

Guess how identity theft starts?

Real names on forum post are going to make wow forums a feeding ground for those with ill intent (like facebook already is before anyone tries to argue that point). Not to mention the effect it will have on game play, mostly for the female players amongst us, as much as i hate to say it people will find the females in amongst the males and they are going to be exposed to ludicrous amounts of harassment, all because they are female gamers? And yes the wow player base (at least some of it) is that pitiful, and it won't even remain in game. Facebook, twitter, phone number, physical address... you think it can't be found? Trust me, it can.

This is an absolute huge issue, whether you understand it or not.

Wait for the headline "Teenage girl stalked by mentally disturbed 48 year old wow player over forum post". I just hope thats not what it takes for blizzard to realize they are digging there own grave.

You can defend it all you like, but i trust blizzard with personal information, my credit card details... and they are shitting all over our privacy.
    If you say "pls" becuase it's shorter than "please", I'll say "no" becuase it's shorted than "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by LonezWulf
    no lol her dick was bigger than my own

Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    What the fuck has happened to this world, are people really that blinded? What people do in their offtime is their business, if it's not harming anyone, why should they be judged whether they get the job on just that?

Because they have plenty of people applying for the job, and it's far easier not to take the guy that is a risk. And when their "hobbies" can hamper efficiency and productivity, it is a risk.

It's stupid, it sucks and it 100% happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpractise View Post
    No it won't because as you so elegantly put it...

Blizzard are shitting all over our privacy with this move, how can anyone not see that? "It's just a name" is not a valid argument, neither is "lots of people have the same name as me", the internet is an absolute wealth of information and if you think people can't find you with nothing but a name you a so very wrong.

Guess how identity theft starts?

Real names on forum post are going to make wow forums a feeding ground for those with ill intent (like facebook already is before anyone tries to argue that point). Not to mention the effect it will have on game play, mostly for the female players amongst us, as much as i hate to say it people will find the females in amongst the males and they are going to be exposed to ludicrous amounts of harassment, all because they are female gamers? And yes the wow player base (at least some of it) is that pitiful, and it won't even remain in game. Facebook, twitter, phone number, physical address... you think it can't be found? Trust me, it can.

This is an absolute huge issue, whether you understand it or not.

Wait for the headline "Teenage girl stalked by mentally disturbed 48 year old wow player over forum post". I just hope thats not what it takes for blizzard to realize they are digging there own grave.

You can defend it all you like, but i trust blizzard with personal information, my credit card details... and they are shitting all over our privacy.
    I see now what every one is talking about now... Googled me a 2 time and saw JUST A TAD MUCH so I deleted mostly everything thats in my info on any of my accounts x.x lucky I haven't used realid yet on forums!
    socials
    TikTok flanleet | YouTube/Twitter/Instagram flan1337

I see now what every one is talking about now... Googled me a 2 time and saw JUST A TAD MUCH so I deleted mostly everything thats in my info on any of my accounts x.x lucky I haven't used realid yet on forums!
    Good thinking. =)
    As many people who refuse to change how they think, I'm glad an under-18 had their opinions on the matter changed.
    The internet is far from safe; and information you choose to put on it is far from private.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I agree with the OP and thus will I never post or use the forums at all.
    This.

Also, damn people. Do you ever realize every post about how they're apathetic to the RealID system is about themselves and a purely personal case? "Well I have a common name" "I don't post on the forums anyway"

You are not everyone. Believe it or not, this world is bigger than you. I can guarantee that within six months of the system being launched, there will be at least a singular case of violence against someone. And you can quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammikaameri View Post
    You really are paranoid, aren't you ? Employer googles my name, he finds my facebook, myspace, my blog, my homesite, some articles written by me and the fact that I also am a journalist as a sidejob, and now he also sees I play World Of Warcraft.

Big deal? Also not like there wouldn't be others with the same name.
    You would think it would be no big deal, wouldn't you? I've posted the counter-arguement to your statement multiple times; if you can read, please go back and do so so that you can be up to speed with the question posed by this thread:

-Why Real Names, and not a universal Blizzard Alias?
    (Which has yet to be directly answered, by the way. Probably because nobody knows the answer to a question without one).

That's fine; if you enjoy living on the edge, it works for you. However, there are sensible people out there who care about their own and their family's security and safety and well-being more than they care about a useless feature being added to the forums of the online game they play.

Edit:
    @Garam:
    I like to imagine the people who post things like that as the people who can't drive on the freeway. I also enjoy pressing my thumb abd middle finger together over their heads from afar. It's oh-so amusing and titillating to think that the only thing that would pop out from the one-track mind as I figuratively pop their heads is a wisp of slow, lonely wind.
    Last edited by Minky; 2010-07-08 at 05:36 AM.

My father is currently a big boss man at NASA in Florida. If what you say is true, why do I play WoW and MW2 with him and a few of his other employees? Of which -he- hired? None of this is true.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    My father is currently a big boss man at NASA in Florida. If what you say is true, why do I play WoW and MW2 with him and a few of his other employees? Of which -he- hired? None of this is true.
    Your case =/= All cases.
    Your case is quite possibly an exception. Even if it's not, it's FAR from the rule.
    Get over yourself; and refer to the thread title.

Also...NASA still exists? Big Boss Man must not mean much these days. /titter
    There's also a rather easy way to figure you out, if the Battle.net forums change goes through, and you posted that kind of info there. Just letting you know, champ.

Stood in the Fire The Painkiller's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a Subway outside of my backyard, no idea why there's all these perverts and psychos outside of all your guys' backyards.
    Everyone's insane but me...

Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    So because the scenario isn't true in one instance, it's not true at all?

And for the record, a post like that provides plenty of information to find you, assuming we had your real name. Does that not worry you at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Your case =/= All cases.
    Your case is quite possibly an exception. Even if it's not, it's FAR from the rule.
    Get over yourself; and refer to the thread title.

Also...NASA still exists? Big Boss Man must not mean much these days. /titter
    There's also a rather easy way to figure you out, if the Battle.net forums change goes through, and you posted that kind of info there. Just letting you know, champ.
    If you google my real name, you will find hundreds of people with it. Currently the first 2 pages have me listed as both a professional hockey player, an Iranian journalist, and some owner of a boat website. You don't even find me until page 7. Your point is null and you can't back it up even a little, I from personal experience can fight it up and down with physical proof. All you're using is blind irrational thoughts and paranoid judgements.
    Bleh